In need of advice to get started

Klitgaard

Hello everyone!

I've been sitting on my hands for far too long at this point, and would really like to finally get my bucket made. But I've got some questions that have been holding me back from getting started, and I hope some of you can help put my mind at ease! I do apologize for dumb questions.

I've been looking at rspropmasters' stormtrooper (http://www.rspropmasters.com/) and have a couple of questions about it:

1. Is it one size fits all? - I don't feel it is properly advertised on the site itself.

2. Will this work for an ANH Hero build or do I have to look elsewhere?

I also have some general questions that have been holding me back:

1. Weight. Now We all put on a little extra weight from time to time, and my weight "shifts" a lot. Now we are not talking that I gain/lose an extreme amount of weight, but I'm still nervous as how some weight gain/loss may affect my ability to wear the armor. - also would it also be a problem if I bulk up a bit? I mean I want to be go to the gym and perhaps gain some muscle masse, and not 'The Rock' levels of buff or anything I just want to make sure that it won't be too much of an issue.

2. The ANH Hero lightsaber. I like it and I think it is really cool, but I have been unable to find out if one is allowed to bring it on troops or not? Are there some special rules when having one?

I hope my ramblings have made any sense. I look forward to join the legion!

Welcome to the FISD!

Helmets are 1 size fits all, some people they are more snug (me) others have loads of room.  They just affects how you pad it out to fit.

RS is a stunt kit, the armour is the same but they do not do a Hero helmet which has a different face plate.

My weight has gone up and down.  I dropped about 5kg and armour fit was still fine.  Much more than this or a large gain may mean things need adjusting.

I don't think I've ever seen a Hero light sabre outside of that CRL image.  Not sure where they came from but generally the Hero suit will replicate the suits Luke and Han (and also a few background TKs if you pay attention) wore in ANH.  There is also the "promo" trooper which used the SR-14R and short holster but there are maybe 2 members with those I've ever seen.

• Like 1

Thank you for the quick answer!

Well that explains why their webshop has a "no helmet" option. Do you per chance know where I can find an ANH helmet? RS has a good price and I prefer to get stuff from europe (I live in Denmark, so the UK is nice and close). so I think I'll go with their armor and buy the helmet elsewhere. I don't know if this is the smartest option though, what do you think?

I am happy to hear that the weight won't be that much of an issue, in my case we are also speaking around 5kg (usually at least).

About the lightsaber I thought it best that I asked before I did anything with it. I haven't seen anyone with them, however, I have seen a few posts on here about them.

Hi Niclas,

If you check the RS Propmasters YouTube channel, they recently announced their 'Hero' helmet. If that's the route you are going, it could be worth a look.

Alternatively, check out the armour and helmets from Troopermaster (on Facebook). TM makes some of the best armour and helmets on the market, by far, and is based in the UK! :-)

• Like 1

Hi Dan and thank you as well for the good anf fast answer! :D

I will most certainly give it a look! 
I have been following Troopermaster's facebook page and it looks really good. I have been a little cautious since it is a facebook page and not a website, I don't know why though, plenty of websites are dubious. I'm sure it is trustworthy enough if you are recommending it so highly! Do you per chance know the price range? :)

I do still have some questions regarding sizes. As Chris explained, the helmets are one size fits all, but I cannot tell if that goes for the armor as well. When I look at RS Propmasters' website there is not size option.

• Like 1

TM would be my choice for a Hero, I didn't know RS did one.  Price is in a similar ball park as RS iirc but you're best bet is to ask him.  He's also @troopermaster on here if you would prefer that to Facebook.

Ideally source all parts from the same maker.  All suits are a bit different and so have a "look" which will work best as a matched set.  The colour of the ABS will vary a little too so ordering from one maker at the same time will reduce this as well.

• Like 2

Hey guys

I have a couple of other questions I hope you can help me out with before I order the kit.

I contacted TM first and he said that he had two options to choose between, but I'm not sure I entirely understand the difference.

1. A 1.5mm gloss ABS.

2. A 2mm acrylic capped ABS.

I gather that there is a difference in the thickness of the armors, but I'm not sure how big of a difference it makes and for what purpose exactly?

Also am I correct in assuming that the gloss and acrylic capped ASB's are referring to the "finish" of the armor? to make it look more polished and shiny?
Also what would you guys recommend?

Lastly I have also been recommended that I try and look up RWA creations. I can see that it is a much cheaper alternative to TM, but he doesn't get nearly the same praise from what I can tell on this forum. What are your thoughts?

Thank you so much for your help so far!

Hey guys
I have a couple of other questions I hope you can help me out with before I order the kit.
I contacted TM first and he said that he had two options to choose between, but I'm not sure I entirely understand the difference.
1. A 1.5mm gloss ABS.
2. A 2mm acrylic capped ABS.
I gather that there is a difference in the thickness of the armors, but I'm not sure how big of a difference it makes and for what purpose exactly?
Also am I correct in assuming that the gloss and acrylic capped ASB's are referring to the "finish" of the armor? to make it look more polished and shiny?
Also what would you guys recommend?

Lastly I have also been recommended that I try and look up RWA creations. I can see that it is a much cheaper alternative to TM, but he doesn't get nearly the same praise from what I can tell on this forum. What are your thoughts?

Thank you so much for your help so far!

Hi Niclas,

The original suits were not acrylic capped so, personally, I favour the 1.5mm ABS (non-capped) as it’s closer in appearance to the originals. 2mm is also less detailed due to the thicker plastic. As in, the smaller details don’t “pull” as well.

RWA has an amazing reputation for service and quality. The helmet and armour is not quite as accurate as TM but this is reflected in the very good pricing. I have RWA armour myself and can highly recommend the service and value. RWA does not offer a Hero helmet so do bear that in mind.

Hope that helps a little.
  • Like 2

Another thing to keep in mind when deciding on a purchase is to think about accuracy and longevity which is more important or are you happy for just a little of both. I know some armor is great for a few troops a year but others if you troop hard will crack pretty quickly, but I'm talking about 50 or more troops a year ;)

Mine for instance is ATA, one of the thickest armors but not one of the most accurate, but it's lasted 7 years and I've just swapped it out for another set of ATA as it was getting pretty scratched just from everyday wear and tear (oh and a couple of cracks in the backplate from heavy handed luggage handlers)

Going through some of the build threads of different types of armor is a good idea, most are in the header of members builds, you can compare some of those images to those in the gallery section and that should give you a better idea of what you will be getting. Also think about your size and what size the armor with fit, again going through the build threads will help you there. 

We all get excited when start this journey but it does pay to do what your doing and do the research, I'm sure you'll be happy which ever armor you decide on :D

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, CableGuy said:

Hi Niclas,

The original suits were not acrylic capped so, personally, I favour the 1.5mm ABS (non-capped) as it’s closer in appearance to the originals. 2mm is also less detailed due to the thicker plastic. As in, the smaller details don’t “pull” as well.

RWA has an amazing reputation for service and quality. The helmet and armour is not quite as accurate as TM but this is reflected in the very good pricing. I have RWA armour myself and can highly recommend the service and value. RWA does not offer a Hero helmet so do bear that in mind.

Hope that helps a little.

I see! Good thing I decided to ask before ordering!

The people who have recommended RWA do praise his service through the roof, but I felt that he wasn't mentioned that often on the forum. Also I was a bit hesitant since his description on the "... post was a bit short. The Hero helmet might be the dealbreaker though, I do like his prices and his work really does seem good. But I would prefer to stick to one maker. Perhaps I will buy a kit from him in the future though.

It helps more than a little! Thank you for the fast answer!

6 minutes ago, gmrhodes13 said:

Another thing to keep in mind when deciding on a purchase is to think about accuracy and longevity which is more important or are you happy for just a little of both. I know some armor is great for a few troops a year but others if you troop hard will crack pretty quickly, but I'm talking about 50 or more troops a year ;)

Mine for instance is ATA, one of the thickest armors but not one of the most accurate, but it's lasted 7 years and I've just swapped it out for another set of ATA as it was getting pretty scratched just from everyday wear and tear (oh and a couple of cracks in the backplate from heavy handed luggage handlers)

Going through some of the build threads of different types of armor is a good idea, most are in the header of members builds, you can compare some of those images to those in the gallery section and that should give you a better idea of what you will be getting. Also think about your size and what size the armor with fit, again going through the build threads will help you there. 

We all get excited when start this journey but it does pay to do what your doing and do the research, I'm sure you'll be happy which ever armor you decide on :D

I have been very worried about longevity, but if yours have lasted so many years and so many troops then I am not as worried :D

I would still like to ask if you have some advice on transporting and protecting the armor? One can never be too careful :)

I have been looking at a good build thread on the Danish Garrison forum, I just hope I can assemble the armor as well :) 

10 minutes ago, Klitgaard said:

I have been very worried about longevity, but if yours have lasted so many years and so many troops then I am not as worried :D

I would still like to ask if you have some advice on transporting and protecting the armor? One can never be too careful :)

I have been looking at a good build thread on the Danish Garrison forum, I just hope I can assemble the armor as well :) 

A lot of people use either large hardware type tubs with wheels or just suitcases, I have both types but find the suitcase to be an easier one to get around with, helmet is in a separate in a helmet bag. I do have a towel I wrap around the armor inside the case and that's about it.

I was caught out with my 150ltr Stanley crate, went to an event we had to climb 3 sets of stairs, was hard work lugging that up ;) 

Most pieces of a OTTK will fit inside each other if you build the clamshell way, so it all compacts down quite well.

But with my First Order armor as it's painted and I have separate fabric pouches I've made for every pieces so even when pieces fit inside they have cloth in between, saves the paint ;) 

You'll find a few threads about transporting options around, here is how I pack mine https://www.whitearmor.net/forum/topic/22787-how-to-pack-up-and-carry-your-armor/

https://www.whitearmor.net/forum/topic/47673-storing-and-transporting-armour/

https://www.whitearmor.net/forum/topic/34962-tk-armor-transportation/ 

https://www.whitearmor.net/forum/topic/33505-my-transport-bin/

https://www.whitearmor.net/forum/topic/9945-armor-transport/

• Like 2

1 hour ago, gmrhodes13 said:

was caught out with my 150ltr Stanley crate, went to an event we had to climb 3 sets of stairs, was hard work lugging that up ;) 

Yeah this sucks.  But it's nice to know you always have something you can sit on :laugh1:

• Like 2

Hey Niclas and welcome to FISD:salute: You can´t go wrong with either RS or TM both are great! RS has the advantage of beeing made of an original screen used suit, not all the parts though as it wasn´t complete but the most important piece was present - the helmet. TM is by far the best fan sculpt so it´s basicly down to personal preference. My advice is going with 1.5mm as it´s more flexible and screen accurate, I like screen accuracy^_^ I have two TM´s, a Hero and a Stunt and an RS suit which I used for my Sandtrooper and an extra RS helmet I built as a Stunt replica so I have experience with both and just love them:)

• Like 2