Ok totally new, need help. Stunt Build thread for trimming phase.

CadetNilz

Locitus, a member I happened to find on the forum has a post showing an original ANH TK. Lots of pictures of various pieces including measurements! Here is the link to your post. Looks like you already have lots of pros giving you help :)

• Like 2

Locitus, a member I happened to find on the forum has a post showing an original ANH TK. Lots of pictures of various pieces including measurements! Here is the link to your post. Looks like you already have lots of pros giving you help

Holy smokes thank you sir! I've been following your build thread as well. Are you going for Stunt or Centurion?

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

1 minute ago, CadetNilz said:

Holy smokes thank you sir! I've been following your build thread as well. Are you going for Stunt or Centurion?

Yes I am. I am trying to document every part of my build (build is going slow) but I am making progress. I hope to make it to centurion. I'm following you as well and am looking forward to see both of us go through this adventure ha ha. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Lord_Potato said:

Yes I am. I am trying to document every part of my build (build is going slow) but I am making progress. I hope to make it to centurion. I'm following you as well and am looking forward to see both of us go through this adventure ha ha. 

I am freaking out, I don't think I am doing any of this right.  I feel like I have already ruined my body pieces haha.  Yikes, its' all a learning process. 

I am freaking out, I don't think I am doing any of this right.  I feel like I have already ruined my body pieces haha.  Yikes, its' all a learning process. 

Have you checked out the videos I linked? They really break it down. :-)
  • Like 2

1 minute ago, CadetNilz said:

I know the feeling, for example I am working on putting my sniper plate on my left shin. Before I made the cut I posted a picture of an outline on how i thought the cut should go. This gave people time to give their suggestions and advice before I went to cutting. Now I have it cut and have it held on my shin with a clamp to see if the positioning seems good. It requires patience, but whatever you are working on, post pictures before you do it so you can get assistance. From the looks of your cuts, i dont see anything you did wrong. You took away some return edges which are not a requirement.

• Like 1

Josh,

Whose armor are you building from?  Given the diversity of builders, I'm sure someone has a work in progress ("WIP") build thread that may answer some of your questions. 

With regard to your rigging/strapping for the build, the bag-o-bits you posted is a strapping, not a bracket, system.  I really recommend you look at A.J.'s build thread for some strapping guidance.  It's certainly helped me in my build. It's the ole' measure twice times, cut once.  But by god it works.  

Here are the locations for where that strapping goes:

null_zpsbf3265ca.jpg&key=5556e460a7b1ff8

null_zpsd0473544.jpg&key=f6000563514a826

Edit: Here's how the snaps will look once fully installed. This photo is from A.J.'s build linked above:

TK%2520240%2520lo-res_1.jpg&key=af98c72b

If you're using single snaps, the positions will be the exact same.

Hope this helps.

Good luck!

Edited by Bullseye
Update photos
  • Like 1

Always a good idea when building to check the gallery sections, some great references there in regards to return edges, many had been seen with little ;) 

• Like 1

This is my bicep from my current build it is also a WTF. I may even trim it more.9601c3b29980ba15d4272e69cdfb66ab.jpg

Sent from my 5054N using Tapatalk

• Like 1

Awesome thanks for that! Do you all use Dremel tools or sanding blocks? Or both?

I use score and snap, Dremel, belt sander and various things for sanding.

Sent from my 5054N using Tapatalk

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, CadetNilz said:

Sweet, well I don't have a belt sander but I do have a Dremel for sanding. I also have sanding files.

I use 3 Dremel's I hate having to change tips in between a dream trimming run ;) For straighter sections you can use a block of wood with sandpaper wrapped around. 

1 hour ago, CadetNilz said:

Sweet, well I don't have a belt sander but I do have a Dremel for sanding. I also have sanding files.

If you can, use 100 grit sandpaper to do your sanding. It eats through the plastic but doesn’t go so fast that if you sneeze you’ll wreck your armor. Score and snap, then sandpaper, then Dremel for finishing touches. 

2 hours ago, CadetNilz said:

I am building from a WTF kit. But this really helps a lot. I just don't think I left enough return. We will see. I will check out the build thread recommendation. Thanks!

Since you’re doing a WTF, this build thread is one of the best I’ve seen. I’ve used parts of this build for my own. 

Hope it helps. 

• Like 1

You don't need to leave very much return edge, if at all.

DSC02523.jpg

With the thighs try to make sure your cuts/joins are as straight as possible, you want little to know gap where the cover strips won't cover, using a block of wood with sandpaper wrapped around can be useful.

When ever in doubt check the reference gallery ;) 

• Like 2

Like Glen said, the Bells don’t really need return edge so just a few mm will do fine.
You want them to sit as close to your chest plate as possible when wearing your kit.
Looks like you are in great hands with these guys, so keep up the good work and look forward to seeing you approved.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 2