Stormageddon tries KB Props FOTK

Stormageddon

I got the armor last week and am still waiting on the helmet. First impressions are that it’ll need a lot of trimming. My ANH TK was AM2.0 so I’m a bit spoilt with the thickness of that plastic. This seems a lot thinner so I’ll be reinforcing as I go. 

A couple of parts look different to the KB threads I’m following. The back-yoke is a 2 piece not 3. The firearms are 2 piece opposed to 4 and the torso back is shorter than the front. If anyone has put one of these together recently I’d love to hear how it went. My last TK took 18 months, hopefully this’ll be around 6.

First Order TK parts by KB Props

First Order TK parts by KB Props

• Like 3

Hey Mark welcome to the FISD. Let us know if there's anything we can help you with. In the meantime there are countless of build threads you can scour over for assembly reference. I believe we even have a couple KBs already in progress. Good thing is the KB kit resembles Anovos in many ways and there are quite a few of those builds dating back a couple years. In other words there's plenty of experienced FOTK builders here that are here to help when you need it.

Have fun and enjoy the journey. 

1 hour ago, ukswrath said:

Hey Mark welcome to the FISD. Let us know if there's anything we can help you with. In the meantime there are countless of build threads you can scour over for assembly reference. I believe we even have a couple KBs already in progress. Good thing is the KB kit resembles Anovos in many ways and there are quite a few of those builds dating back a couple years. In other words there's plenty of experienced FOTK builders here that are here to help when you need it.

Have fun and enjoy the journey. 

Thanks for the encouragement. I’m going through your build thread page by page and it’s amazing. I’ll be starting soon with the arms, hopefully that’ll go smoother than with my TK. As before I waited til the armor arrived before really researching, so it’s all slowly falling into place. I have a ton of questions but I’ll ask as I go.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
KB Props forearms

KB Props forearms

KB Props forearms

KB Props forearms

Finally got time to do some trimming. The new 2 piece KB forearms are a bit different than most of what I’ve seen before. Obviously got a lot of work to do before glueing but wanted to share. I do t see anything on the crl about return edges so will reduce them significantly. They may end up more boxy than I’d have liked, but we’ll see. I had to redo my ANHTK arms a few times before I was happy with them too.

• Like 2

Just started working on KB.  Might do a build thread but it's my first kit, don't know.  Anyways, for that big chest piece that mates with the back, I just cut it open down the center so that I could slide my neck through while still retaining the yoke look.  Will need to reinforce but I've found it easier to wear.

• 1 month later...

Kb fotkKb fotk

Kb fotkKb fotk

so I’m really slow at building. Almost done with the forearms, just need to detail the front. You can’t really tell from the picture but the plastic on the sides is so thin that it’s a bit warped where it’s glued to the side of the insert. I don’t dare try to pull it apart as it’d probably tear. Hopefully won’t be too visible once painted. I’m considering adding fiberglass to the inside to reinforce them. 

Moving on to the biceps, they were very shallow and I’ve had to heat them to shape them a bit rounder. They still aren’t great but should be ok. Not sure how this kind of thing gets through from the production line. A little QC would be nice.

Have to say I’m also getting a little miffed at constantly being told that my helmet is on the way when it isn’t. 2-3 weeks has turned into 4 months. I know that isn’t long compared to some, but all I ask is for a straight answer, not some bs to placate me for another 2 weeks. Rant over...... for now

Have to say I’m also getting a little miffed at constantly being told that my helmet is on the way when it isn’t. 2-3 weeks has turned into 4 months. I know that isn’t long compared to some, but all I ask is for a straight answer, not some bs to placate me for another 2 weeks.

Which helmet maker?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

3 hours ago, JAFO said:

Which helmet maker?

The same as the kit maker. I know Anovos keeps people waiting for literally years so I may be being a little impatient. I just don’t like being told that it’s about to be pulled, or it’s being shipped tomorrow and then crickets. I want to hear that it’ll ship in x weeks/months and then it does. If there’s an issue, post on the Facebook page. Honestly, if I had known it’d come separately I might’ve gone with a different maker or chosen a completely different kit for my next one, such as Boba or Jango. Saying that, I’ll be very happy once this is all together.

Very annoying when armor makers drop the ball and don't communicate, they have no problems taking the money though. Hope it arrives soon. 

• Like 1

Amazing what a bit of a rant can accomplish.....
48933385466_f92cbc5546_b.jpg&key=48cac8b5cdc3ccb9862ccbbde4731915707adb2a1a7b2ea957dbfb8a21042e3648932843183_2198294882_b.jpg&key=785557bf1a92858edce1413abbca4de13d6ccd1659996dd8f6dd611eea2225e0  
48933572887_cbe5b931ab_b.jpg&key=2ee42892d1f7519b7da5fdbba0a98ec580c94320b9a45f220dc41e096caae275  
48932843213_b70f484594_b.jpg&key=a7e334af77cb745477f074745512ef39666b65f98bec6c13157bc1f88bf98e22  
Doesn’t look like the cleanest of casts but I’ve nothing to compare it to. Lenses were included, but what do people typically use? 

Great job securing your helmet

If the KB lenses don’t work for you take a look at Ople Props out if Germany. Great replacement lenses for many kids, including FOTK.

Also, the biceps look like possible trouble. I tried to reshape them but I’m worried how they’ll look once the inside is attached. They were really shallow when I received them and the detail very soft.

KB FOTKKB FOTK

And rough cuts on the bells

KB FOTK

Probably going to do the yoke/back/chest next, can’t wait.....

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, JAFO said:

Great job securing your helmet emoji6.png

If the KB lenses don’t work for you take a look at Ople Props out if Germany. Great replacement lenses for many kids, including FOTK.

If they fit the helmet. Fan sculpt helmets can change dramatically. Worth a shot I guess,

I have a KB helmet, I buffed the lens due to some blemishes, all and all not too bad considering.  

• Like 1

If they fit the helmet. Fan sculpt helmets can change dramatically. Worth a shot I guess,

I have a KB helmet, I buffed the lens due to some blemishes, all and all not too bad considering.  

Absolutely! You always have to ask the right questions and be sure before dropping the $s.

10 minutes ago, Stormageddon said:

Also, the biceps look like possible trouble. I tried to reshape them but I’m worried how they’ll look once the inside is attached. They were really shallow when I received them and the detail very soft.

KB FOTKKB FOTK

And rough cuts on the bells

KB FOTK

Probably going to do the yoke/back/chest next, can’t wait.....

Worst case scenario you can give them a hot water bath. 

1 minute ago, Stormageddon said:

Another question I had was about the helmet. Do you typically replace the black mesh looking material with actual mesh to make it breathable? Don’t fancy drilling out all those holes

No