Stormageddon tries KB Props FOTK

Stormageddon

21 minutes ago, Stormageddon said:

Another question I had was about the helmet. Do you typically replace the black mesh looking material with actual mesh to make it breathable? Don’t fancy drilling out all those holes

People only tend to remove the mesh to a) upgrade and improve the appearance or b) add airflow.

If you're happy with the way your mesh looks, don't waste valuable time changing it.

22 minutes ago, ukswrath said:

Vent's (aka tube stripes) however are required to be hallow.

Absolutely agree this is the best look for the helmet, and screen accurate, but the current CRL doesn't require for the side vents to be hollow. There have been many approved helmets with the cut-out/indents painted black.

Mark, perhaps check-in with your GML as to what their expectation is for the vents.

14 minutes ago, JAFO said:

Absolutely agree this is the best look for the helmet, and screen accurate, but the current CRL doesn't require for the side vents to be hollow. There have been many approved helmets with the cut-out/indents painted black.

Mark, perhaps check-in with your GML as to what their expectation is for the vents.

That's changing, so might as well make it accurate. 

I agree, even though there will be a grace period for builders once the updated CRL goes live, nothing wrong with being more accurate, but as stated, you always want to check with your GML first, best policy.

• Like 1

KB FOTKKB FOTKKB FOTK

The biceps close ok though I should’ve done a better job glueing the inner cover strip. Getting glue consistently all the way to the edge of the bicep half was important and I missed some. It’ll probably be ok but if I had a second chance.....

i also just started trimming the back and yoke. It’ll be interesting to see how many ways I can mess that up.

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, JAFO said:

Great work Mark. With every step you’re making good progress.

With the yoke and chest be sure to leave a good return.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

You mean on the sides to add strength? I think I’m going to add some extra around those areas as I’ve seen lots of pictures of cracking

• Like 1

You mean on the sides to add strength? I think I’m going to add some extra around those areas as I’ve seen lots of pictures of cracking

Yes, the return that gives the sense of depth to the armour pieces. As seen here

...527a95ffd98c9c2fb32dfc0faacb9738.jpg

Looking good Mark coming along nicely :duim:

13 hours ago, Stormageddon said:

Strength not so much, more the illusion of thickness as JAFO mentioned. Also, the return edge is needed when connecting the shoulder bells. 

Here's some screen used armor -

crop.jpg

Edited by ukswrath

Just a rough cut for now. I can just get my head through but it might be harder when it’s all together. I was considering fixing the sides to the inside of the back plate wings so as to minimize movement and protect the weak point at the shoulder. May have to reconsider as I think it’ll be really hard to put on. 

I have to trim the chest plate too before doing much more so that I can figure out how it all fits together. 

KB FOTKKB FOTKKB FOTK

• Like 2

I’ve added strengthening strips behind those side areas, they need it, will crack over time, but the more you put on the harder it is to get on. I slip one arm in first then have someone open the other side just enough to slip the other arm in. It’s always going to have some stress and there’s not much more you can do. Was thinking of having another set for non cannon troops with a hidden hinge/seam.

Youll find lots of build threads where people have added strength to those areas ;) 

• 2 weeks later...
KB FOTKKB FOTK

KB FOTK

KB FOTK

Not much progress recently. I started trimming the chest and back pieces and think they should be ok. My main concern is making the chest piece sit flush with the over the shoulder pieces. I may have trimmed the chest prematurely before seeing where the best trim lines would be.

I have a question for the resident experts, I’ll probably ask it on KB’s Facebook page too. What’s the best way to trim off the excess resin/fiberglass from inside the helmet? I was using clippers but am worried I’ll fracture the helmet in a place I want to keep, or just make a crack somewhere. Do you just use a dremel cutting wheel or sander? There are also some places on the exterior I’m unsure how to approach. Any ideas will be most welcome.

I prefer using a Dremel (or knock off brand) cutting disc and sanding drum, but make sure you wear gloves, long sleeve shirt and safety glasses and mask, those little fibres can be annoying in the wrong spots ;) 

External I use a combination of sanding drum, files, sandpaper and burr tips, come in all different shapes and sizes too and can really get into tight areas

See the source image

• Like 1

49046553596_49c5848fc7_b.jpg&key=966efbda236a67cb9114006727d39132b3523fc291a143c070796061f1b799d649046768162_21b08a84af_b.jpg&key=3e3a3424104fe734afd999f6c52af42e7a3e5acc71e8d402870f073b2bb163a5  
49046767827_8906d43c7e_b.jpg&key=793071124c095939f25d28c1eda90afae98a9a058197fbd5c676b3821b5ce4c3  
49046553556_148a416f90_b.jpg&key=89c82583dc240087221abc159226975404d35cf62dbad00a7bdc8a369d797eb4  
Not much progress recently. I started trimming the chest and back pieces and think they should be ok. My main concern is making the chest piece sit flush with the over the shoulder pieces. I may have trimmed the chest prematurely before seeing where the best trim lines would be.

I have a question for the resident experts, I’ll probably ask it on KB’s Facebook page too. What’s the best way to trim off the excess resin/fiberglass from inside the helmet? I was using clippers but am worried I’ll fracture the helmet in a place I want to keep, or just make a crack somewhere. Do you just use a dremel cutting wheel or sander? There are also some places on the exterior I’m unsure how to approach. Any ideas will be most welcome.

Was that helmet supplied by KB!

• 2 weeks later...
On 11/20/2019 at 9:11 PM, ukswrath said:

Coming along nicely Mark. Any new progress?

Unfortunately not much. My workspace is the basement which also doubles as a guest area and I’ve had to make it ready for an extended stay. Much like with my ANH TK I put everything away. I’ll see how it works out, but my deadline of DragonCon 2020 should still be doable.