Thigh help needed - the never ending story

mjrose927

Based on the picture, I would say you just need to rotate the thigh out a bit.  Unless the thigh is just too long for you and is overriding the cod and/or butt and causing comfort issues, I wouldn't worry about trimming it.  My two cents.

Agree with Greg, try jus rotating your thigh a bit to the left and try to adjust with the inner belt.

-------------

Edited by gmrhodes13
link not working, removed gmrhodes13 2021

Adding some foam to the inside of the armor, on the outer of the leg will help bring the thigh a little straighter. Really depends how it fits on your thigh too if you have a lot of room in there they will float so either some foam or even trimming a V section out of the rear could help. 

• Like 2

Yeah one issue I see is your thigh piece is a cylinder, and should actually and more accurately be a cone. Wide at the top and more closed at the bottom. This will also help with keeping it in place. The main question though is how is it secured to your armor?

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

• Like 1

On 8/23/2019 at 5:10 AM, TKSpartan said:
Agree with Greg, try jus rotating your thigh a bit to the left and try to adjust with the inner belt.  

---------

My armor is set up very similar to this picture with garter belt setup. I am using snaps instead of Velcro. My concern is if the thigh lines match the cod lines. The lines do not run parallel like I see in a lot of photos. How do I project the cod lines to the thighs? The cod overlaps thighs so there is clanking when walking. I agree that the shape of thighs are not perfect. They look more cylindrical from front. I need to shape them with hot water some. d2e7fb47cefa01e18f6e5f92fb8793ec.jpg&key=2f9b5458e05d96475134b1d4a4d8676058b4a093a36d5e4ea040e50f5bef9ab236751e98577648ac48935ea81559644d.jpg

Also, I think the outsides should be rounded down instead of up.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Edited by gmrhodes13
link not working, removed gmrhodes13 2021

Looks like your ab/cod needs to come up quite a way, the lines do not need to match up.

Reference gallery is always a great place to check when you are building ;) 

6 hours ago, mjrose927 said:

My armor is set up very similar to this picture with garter belt setup. I am using snaps instead of Velcro. My concern is if the thigh lines match the cod lines. The lines do not run parallel like I see in a lot of photos. How do I project the cod lines to the thighs? The cod overlaps thighs so there is clanking when walking. I agree that the shape of thighs are not perfect. They look more cylindrical from front. I need to shape them with hot water some.

d2e7fb47cefa01e18f6e5f92fb8793ec.jpg&key=2f9b5458e05d96475134b1d4a4d8676058b4a093a36d5e4ea040e50f5bef9ab2

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Alright so besides raising your Ab plate as Glen suggested this armor type will require you do some trimming for it to look correct however, before you do that how much room do you have between your armor and thigh (at the top)? Reason I ask is once you trim it you'll need to pull it up higher, but you'll need some space to pull that off.   

11 hours ago, ukswrath said:

Alright so besides raising your Ab plate as Glen suggested this armor type will require you do some trimming for it to look correct however, before you do that how much room do you have between your armor and thigh (at the top)? Reason I ask is once you trim it you'll need to pull it up higher, but you'll need some space to pull that off.   

I am not sure I understand what you are asking.  Could you clarify please?

Also, I don't want to bring ab plate any further.  The top of it sits at bottom of rib cage.  I do have the thighs hiked up a bit where I have been wearing them be cause i think feel like they are hanging down too low.   I will get dressed and have my wife take some pictures later this week.  Are there any picture angles you would like to see to help root cause?

• 2 months later...

Hey Michael, 

Just to make sure that I'm understanding correctly, the pics you've shared are not your armor, but you're using them as an example, correct?

On 8/26/2019 at 2:12 PM, mjrose927 said:

My concern is if the thigh lines match the cod lines. The lines do not run parallel like I see in a lot of photos. How do I project the cod lines to the thighs? The cod overlaps thighs so there is clanking when walking. I agree that the shape of thighs are not perfect. They look more cylindrical from front. I need to shape them with hot water some. 

Think of the cod/thigh connection as puzzle pieces.  They should fit each other, right?  I suggest putting the torso and thighs on first.  Get a pencil.  You'll need to do this process both visually as well as physically.  Now, stand in front of a mirror.  

Look at where the thighs overlap the cod.  The cod serves as a template for your trim line.  Using your pencil, trace a mark onto the thighs along the edge of the cod.  Make your line on the thigh slightly along the inner edge the cod (this makes a conservative trim line).  Take off your thighs.  Trim conservatively along your trim line.  You will most likely be trimming more along the inner thigh than anywhere else.  

Try your thighs on again with your torso.  Now move your legs around a little bit.  You should notice where the plastic is still clipping the cod by feel or by sound.  Once you've isolated those areas, mark them with your pencil.  Remove the thighs and trim again (conservatively).  

Try on the thighs with the torso again.  Move around a bit.  Check for any areas where the thighs are hitting the cod and mark them.  Remove the thighs and trim again.  See a pattern here?

To get it right, it's a tedious process of "try on, mark, take off, trim, repeat".  Take your time, and you'll get it right!  :)   Good luck!

Oh, and one more thing...  that rivet needs to be relocated on the ammo pack.  :) 
36751e98577648ac48935ea81559644d.jpg&key
Screen reference below:
48980996692_04890963bd_o.jpg

But if this isn't your armor, then disregard. ;) 

Edited by Cricket
  • Like 1

16 minutes ago, Cricket said:

Oh, and one more thing...  that rivet needs to be relocated on the ammo pack.  :) 
36751e98577648ac48935ea81559644d.jpg&key
Screen reference below:
48980996692_04890963bd_o.jpg

But if this isn't your armor, then disregard. ;) 

Yes, this is mine.  When I did this I was more concerned about the ammo pack laying flat along the thigh.  I did not notice that most TKs the ammo belt is has a upward tilt to it.  This is evidenced by my picture vs the one you inserted.  It is on my list of things to correct for EIB.  I am in the process of ordering new thigh ammo belt.  The one from my FX kit I haven't really liked that much after reviewing other armor kits.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, mjrose927 said:

Yes, this is mine.  

Roger that!  ;)

Okay, I will say that I agree with the others who have mentioned that your ab should shift up, (which will also bring your cod up, too).  Someone around these parts mentioned that there should be an inch or two of space between the armor and your bits and pieces in the cod.  This should make walking a little more comfortable as well.  You'll see that the cod is kind of "high and tight", but still with room for mobility. :laugh1: Another screen reference for you:

46708323445_0a2204f8da_o.jpg

Typically, you'll see the correct ab plate position is when the top of the ab button box rests somewhere at the bottom of the sternum.   The green line shows the top of the ab button box.  The green line should be placed roughly around where the blue line is.
48980007208_962faa98df_o.jpg  

You also mentioned that the top of the ab plate sits at the bottom of your rib cage.  Typically, the top of the ab plate overlaps the bottom of the rib cage, so you could definitely bring it up a bit.  :salute:

Edited by Cricket

Cricket's info is correct.

If you look at the CRL's for a TK, the chest plate covers the ab armour more than you first ref picture. Everyone's bodyare different, but the ab buttons may only be about 2 or 3 inches from the bottom of your chest armour. Yours seem like more than that. Maybe 4"?

Although, now that I look at the screen grab in Crciket's post, there seems to be allot of Ab armour showing....

I basically hiked my cod piece up as far as it would go.

Easiest thing would be to start with hiking up the cod before attempting any trimming.

Good luck! :)

2 hours ago, Helotech said:

Cricket's info is correct.

If you look at the CRL's for a TK, the chest plate covers the ab armour more than you first ref picture. Everyone's bodyare different, but the ab buttons may only be about 2 or 3 inches from the bottom of your chest armour. Yours seem like more than that. Maybe 4"?

Although, now that I look at the screen grab in Crciket's post, there seems to be allot of Ab armour showing....

I basically hiked my cod piece up as far as it would go.

Easiest thing would be to start with hiking up the cod before attempting any trimming.

Good luck! :)

Mine is an FX kit from 2003.  So, I probably should have the bottom of my chest piece sitting right at the top of button panel because the chest is oversized compared to current armor kits.  I will be donning my armor on Halloween for the Trick-or-treaters.   I will hike up the cod piece and play around with it a little bit.  Maybe wife can take some more updated pictures as reference.  The picture that has the blue and green lines on it is much older than my first ref pic at the top of post.  BUT, I noticed a lot of clicking and pinching between thighs and cod/ab during my last 2 troops.  So, I know something needs to be adjusted more AND I want to look best that I can.

Looking at my signature pic below, There is definitely too much hanging boxes overlapping the thighs.  That may be another source of the clanking and highlighting ab and belt are not high enough.

Edited by mjrose927