Bulldog Props- Project Sterling!

Bulldog44

3 hours ago, bishopdonmiguel said:

Apologies if I’m offering unwanted advice.

Not sure what materials you’re using here but tiny surface bubbles can often be eliminated by “talcing” the mold before pouring the resin. The powder eliminates static charge, breaks the surface tension of the resin and literally pulls it into the tiny details of the mold. I’ve found original Gold Bond body powder to be an excellent choice, although any fine dry powder will work, including pigments.

Dust some powder in the mold, close it and shake it around vigorously to cover all surfaces. Open it and blow out the excess with an air hose or canned air.

Hope this helps.

Thanks Don. Advice always welcome and appreciated. I do coat my molds with baby powder but maybe I am using it too sparingly so I will try and apply it as you mentioned. Cheers!:duim:

• Like 3

If you're struggling with air bubbles you can always mix a small batch first then (with a glove on) use a finger to poke the resin into corners and areas that trap air.  Once that;s done, close the mould and pour in as normal.

I used this with good effect on something that was bubble city before.

• 3 weeks later...
5 hours ago, mjrose927 said:

Any updates on your progress? Interested in seeing what you come up with.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sorry there have not been any updates to post yet. I had issues casting the stock and the end cap without bubbles but think I solved how to do the stock but end cap still needs a bit of tinkering . Also just ordered more resin and silicone to get small parts made. These take time as there are a few with irregular shapes that pose a challenge to cast. My goal is to minimize the seam lines. 

Hope to have more updates soon for you. Thanks for following this project . Stay tuned !

Edited by Bulldog44
  • Like 3

• 2 months later...

What an awesome journey you're on Brian - I follow after Tino that given your strong attention to detail, you are the perfect person to pursue casting excellence off of these beauties!! I had touched base briefly with Aaron regarding the compilation of his Sterling part photos onto a single PDF, good to know you're well supported for this endeavor as I was, cheers and look forward to your next update!! :jc_doublethumbup:

• 1 month later...

Very interesting thread, great looking results already Brian! Looking forward to very accurate folding stocks without all the hollowing out and reconstructing/shaping effort! :D

Judging by the quality of your scope casts these sterling parts are going to be nothing short of awesome!!! :th_AnimatedBravoSmiley:

• Like 2

On 1/12/2020 at 1:18 AM, PatrickM said:

Very interesting thread, great looking results already Brian! Looking forward to very accurate folding stocks without all the hollowing out and reconstructing/shaping effort! :D

Judging by the quality of your scope casts these sterling parts are going to be nothing short of awesome!!! :th_AnimatedBravoSmiley:

Thank you. It’s been a stalled projected at the moment due to space and life but hoping it will start up again soon so I can offer some kits. 

The parts will all be pretty much movebale like the real deal but with resin it’s just not sturdy and long lasting so my aim is to make it look nice without the need of kicking up resin dust too much. 

On 1/12/2020 at 10:52 PM, Daetrin said:

For sure - this looks promising so interested to see how it turns out.

Thanks. I can’t wait to make a finished blaster from these parts. 

• Like 3