Bulldog Props- Project Sterling!

Bulldog44

Thanks to a great friend, Derrek (DDay), I was able to obtain some nice sterling smg parts. Thank you billions Derrek!  His kit paved the way to a whole new era of E-11 kit building and these parts were the backbone of his endeavors. Also these parts are in fact the exact ones seen in the Blaster Reference Photo Compendium. Some parts I have added to the lot recently for alternative molding choices and some to replace (the bolt). I am honored to be the next caretaker and hope to see what new life I can add to them. 

Another special thanks to Aaron (Usaeatt2) as he was instrumental in bringing each piece to its full glory. He put a ton of work into making these parts ready to mold part for part. He also helped guide me on a number of things with these parts like how to remove the D ring from the end cap undamaged. His knowledge on these parts has been invaluable and deeply appreciated.

Here is what I have in total:

(Some parts missing from the photo as they were being molded. Some smaller pins/springs and parts are missing and I will replace at a later date. The only main part I do not have yet is the barrel)

pJyB2lh.png

Over a 2 week period during the midnight hours of my summer break I was able to make molds of the parts. Hoping to test them out soon.  

N1U1lVU.jpg?1

Unfortunately I had to leave the parts back home to avoid breaking any international laws. TSA actually upheld the box of molds and it was forwarded to me a few days after I got back to Japan. :DLuckily there is not offense to send silicone gun part molds abroad. So for now I will cast what I can with the molds and also create sub castings as my master molds for future castings until I get back to the US in the future. This is just a test and see project so hopefully the results will be good. 

Already there are amazing other resin blaster kit/part makers like RA Props (http://www.stormtrooperblaster.com/the-stormtrooper-blaster-project.html) and Doopys is not a bad option if you successfully get one, but since casting the resin scopes I have always wanted to try my hand at casting real sterling parts. I am not expected these to be extremely clean castings. These will be fairly raw with potentially lots of areas to fill or sand. No pressure pot to use as well so that puts a cap on what I can achieve as far as total quality goes.

;)Stay tuned for updates in the coming weeks.

Edited by Bulldog44
  • Like 8

I will definitely order your molded parts bro if you are selling! I am very excited on the trigger assembly which is the missing piece on my e-11.

Sent from my LYA-L29 using Tapatalk

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, darthcue said:

I will definitely order your molded parts bro if you are selling! I am very excited on the trigger assembly which is the missing piece on my e-11.

Thanks! The trigger assembly, inner grip frame and grip have been molded separately so hope that turns out well. 

• Like 1

Thanks! The trigger assembly, inner grip frame and grip have been molded separately so hope that turns out well. 
I need also the inner grip frame... This is going to be an awsome project!

• Like 1

Wow Brian, great to see this Sterling parts kit in your hands.

Considering your striving for accuracy on the hollowed scopes, this can only become an outstanding blaster kit - in case everything works.

However, I keep fingers crossed for this... :jc_doublethumbup:

• Like 1

4 hours ago, T-Jay said:

Wow Brian, great to see this Sterling parts kit in your hands.

Considering your striving for accuracy on the hollowed scopes, this can only become an outstanding blaster kit - in case everything works.

However, I keep fingers crossed for this... :jc_doublethumbup:

Thanks Tino. It’s all a trial and error project with no set goal to make full kits yet. Just praying I made decent molds so I can get started. 

• Like 1

Very nice, great to see there may be another option for purchasers, at times they can be hard to find.

Looking forward to seeing the progress.

• Like 2

8 hours ago, gmrhodes13 said:

Very nice, great to see there may be another option for purchasers, at times they can be hard to find.

Looking forward to seeing the progress.

Thanks Q. Hoping I can get it right. Updates to come soon.

• Like 2

This all sounds very promising.

Vacuum pots aren't too expensive for a small that would easily fit scopes mags and many of the smaller parts, and I'm sure well worth the quality difference. I'd happily pay more for bubble free casts that require less time to clean up :)

Cant wait to see some product and pricing. :popcorn:

• Like 4

A good start Brian.

May I just kindly ask, why you have chosen to cast the lower end of the magazine?

As far as I know this kit, the magazine housing is a solid piece. Does that mean, you are planning a hollowed version, so people can slide in the magazine?

• Like 1

9 hours ago, T-Jay said:

A good start Brian.

May I just kindly ask, why you have chosen to cast the lower end of the magazine?

As far as I know this kit, the magazine housing is a solid piece. Does that mean, you are planning a hollowed version, so people can slide in the magazine?

Good question Tino. If you look in the first post at the parts I have, the magazine was cut in half. So at the moment I don't have a complete magazine to cast from. For now I just thought to cast the two pieces and see if its possible to mend the two parts together afterwards. Ideally I want to buy a new magazine and mold it as one complete piece. Also I found that the trigger guard was cut too so its missing the loop at the end. I plan on replacing these parts in the future but only if I can find them and mold them when I go back to the US. Hope these parts are still out there to buy for a reasonable price.

So yes, I plan on making this part for part like the real sterling as realistic as possible. Hollow magazine so its easy to use the inside for any electronics, etc.  RA Props already has done this and its amazing. Just want to try it myself anyway. 

• Like 1

That sounds great man. Can't tell you how happy I am to see this parts kit in the hands of a person, so driven to details.

Regarding the trigger guard: in Derrek's kits these were made from resin and after building 'a few' ;) of these E-11, it has always been a fragile part on the finished blaster. Instead of getting a new undamaged trigger guard for more fragile resin casts, it might be an option to contact Chris (Fieldmarshall), as he seems to have more than he ever needs: 20.000 pieces!!!

And if contacting him, you could also talk about one of his "cut-to-size magazines". Maybe he is open for a deal...

• Like 2

Thanks Tino. I hope I can deliver something worthy. 

Your feedback is extremely valuable and I think you are totally right, the trigger guard is very fragile. I actually made my own trigger guard for my first blaster. I will see if its possible to work something out with Chris. It comes down to cost but I am open to explore options. For the mag, I am considering to buy one of his mags and cast it but I would want to ask hm first and not do anything that ins't consented to. I know its not a fabricated piece but I still feel like its his work, time and money to get these things so I will ask and see.  At the moment I am in deep with the cost to start this project so that will have to wait until I get back on my feet financially. Also I want to try and get a barrel to cast too which I don't presently have. 

Appreciate the support and advice! Cheers!

• Like 1

Recent Test Castings- 

Some parts still coming out of the molds a bit rough looking. Grip came out the best so far. End cap had some bubble issues.

Bolt is good but wish I molded it so the cocking handle holes were more sunken. They will need to be drilled out. Hope for more to come later this week (folding stock parts)

Grip-

iOQvRT6.jpg

Grip with Trigger assembly- 

HaJELb4.jpg?1

Bolt, Magazine Housing and magazine

mNbP9aY.jpg?1

Front nozzle section and end cap

YqVX3ro.jpg?1

• Like 5

Recent Test Castings- 
Some parts still coming out of the molds a bit rough looking. Grip came out the best so far. End cap had some bubble issues.
Bolt is good but wish I molded it so the cocking handle holes were more sunken. They will need to be drilled out. Hope for more to come later this week (folding stock parts)

Grip-
iOQvRT6.jpg&key=f47592ad39d5a54577002516f314a922a79e5dc772a87161acde194eeeb44a2b

Grip with Trigger assembly- 
HaJELb4.jpg?1&key=2116ab7c7d866b99b7016b62a2a22bf8b8c0edaa9a432f2b4a86166f5187c47d

Bolt, Magazine Housing and magazine
mNbP9aY.jpg?1&key=a09fc83387d964092f1579a94ce2aee5e872b411846770d575f18e47ac722e85

Front nozzle section and end cap
YqVX3ro.jpg?1&key=08b206afa725cba041738edf7907ecd645910fdd74f5ab8365fbfd0748bc44e3
I am very excited with trigger housing and assembly bro! Are you casting the bolt with separated parts?

• Like 1

Very nice, I haven't had an OT blaster build for a while, I may foresee one of these in my future ;) 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Latest Test Casts- slow progress, no time to work at night much but managed to test the parts seem below. The main stock wishbone frame still has a few trapped air issues but think I can solve that. The end cap was getting me worried as I could not cast one decent one after 4 attempts. Finally figured out a way to get the trapped air out. :D

nrR2C8d.jpg

yrntjnG.jpg

Edited by Bulldog44
New links added for images.
  • Like 6

Latest Test Casts- slow progress, no time to work at night much but managed to test the parts seem below. The main stock wishbone frame still has a few trapped air issues but think I can solve that. The end cap was getting me worried as I could not cast one decent one after 4 attempts. Finally figured out a way to get the trapped air out. 

nrR2C8d.jpg&key=105dc25b20ec4307fa534ba5ccab6748d66293fa13ccabf971c296eb0775bd08

yrntjnG.jpg&key=a85d5f985686f1fe70ecfb6fa20db0aca31bb40a742edaee34adb7f48a104e5d
Bro would it be possible to order only a specific part like the main stock wishbone? Very sharp casting! Topnotch!

Thanks Ted. You’re too kind. 

Yes, certainly. No problem at all to order specific parts. Up close though the stock has lots of tiny air bubbles but easy to fill I think. Hopefully I can get less bubbles next casting. 

PM here or on FB about which parts you want and I can try casting them up for you soon. 

• Like 1

Up close though the stock has lots of tiny air bubbles but easy to fill I think. Hopefully I can get less bubbles next casting.

Apologies if I’m offering unwanted advice.

Not sure what materials you’re using here but tiny surface bubbles can often be eliminated by “talcing” the mold before pouring the resin. The powder eliminates static charge, breaks the surface tension of the resin and literally pulls it into the tiny details of the mold. I’ve found original Gold Bond body powder to be an excellent choice, although any fine dry powder will work, including pigments.

Dust some powder in the mold, close it and shake it around vigorously to cover all surfaces. Open it and blow out the excess with an air hose or canned air.

Hope this helps.
  • Like 2