My FOTK 850 Armorworks Build WIP

Swiftcloud

Looking forward to the progress.

If you are having issues adding images a lot of us use an online image host Imgur, once uploaded you can copy and paste the image directly into your post (or copy the direct link depending on how you are posting, mobile/computer)

Good luck

• Like 1

Just a few more pieces to trim, then I start the assembly process. Still have to build the back plate and cowl/shoulder part. Just waiting on my order of CA glue and filler.

***not being able to directly upload pics here is a bummer. Flickr really sux. Can’t figure out how to add to the album. So, I guess you will have to imagine progress.

:/

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Swiftcloud said:

***not being able to directly upload pics here is a bummer. Flickr really sux. Can’t figure out how to add to the album. So, I guess you will have to imagine progress.

:/

Hi Jerred, may this can help. also you can use Imgur to post your photos.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...

Progress report:

So far I have pretty much roughed all pieces together. Going through some sizing and fitting mock-ups. I have placed my order with Geeky Pink for the harness, seals and shiny shorts. Picked up a set of gloves from Imperial Boots. Got my compression undersuit. I’ve also added fans to the helmet, and started to make the snap pieces to attach the cod and butt to the torso. I’ve constructed the belt also. Just need to find a way to keep the back part of the ribbed rubber strip attached to the belt webbing. It’s tricky because it needs to be able to be adjusted for size, so I cannot permanently affix it to the webbing around the back and side near the clip. I’ve tried Velcro but it doesn’t stay attached to the rubber. I’ll have to do some more research.

Also, I’m already starting to get some cracks in the sides of the torso and the shoulder areas of the yoke. I’ll have to re-sand, fill and paint again.  So far the major flaws in this kit is that the parts that will be flexing the most, from just putting the armor on, are also the parts that have been pieced together and are structurally weak points. I wish that the torso and the yoke was one single piece of material for each.

I’ve still got a lot of work ahead of me.

FOTK 850 Armorworks Costume WIP

Edited by Swiftcloud
  • Like 4

7 hours ago, Swiftcloud said:

Just need to find a way to keep the back part of the ribbed rubber strip attached to the belt webbing. It’s tricky because it needs to be able to be adjusted for size, so I cannot permanently affix it to the webbing around the back and side near the clip. I’ve tried Velcro but it doesn’t stay attached to the rubber. I’ll have to do some more research.

Also, I’m already starting to get some cracks in the sides of the torso and the shoulder areas of the yoke. I’ll have to re-sand, fill and paint again.  So far the major flaws in this kit is that the parts that will be flexing the most, from just putting the armor on, are also the parts that have been pieced together and are structurally weak points.

Looking good so far Jarred.

As for the belt, since the adjustment and buckle reside under the left soft pouches you should have ample (2+") space for adjustment. Roughly 75% of the movie belt sections were secured in place at the boxes and ends of the belt. That said once you wrap the belt around you snug you shouldn't have any sagging issues especially if the belt is resting on the posterior upper lip. Hope this helps

68bfc2aa-23da-403a-9494-5bce4d09039a.jpg   IMG_4834.jpg

Edited by ukswrath

Regarding the cracking, flexible body putty is your best friend with this armor but even then maximum thickness of that material is 1/8". To truly help reduce cracking you'll need to fill in seams with material that won't flex like plastic welder. Lastly and just as important if the paint doesn't flex with the plastic you'll be dealing with paint cracking issues regardless. Things to think about. Good luck brother we;re here to help if we can.  

• Like 1

Coming along nicely. I added some snaps to the belt and ab/butt plates to help keep the belt held up, may be an option if it's too saggy.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, ukswrath said:

Looking good so far Jarred.

As for the belt, since the adjustment and buckle reside under the left soft pouches you should have ample (2+") space for adjustment. Roughly 75% of the movie belt sections were secured in place at the boxes and ends of the belt. That said once you wrap the belt around you snug you shouldn't have any sagging issues especially if the belt is resting on the posterior upper lip. Hope this helps

68bfc2aa-23da-403a-9494-5bce4d09039a.jpg   IMG_4834.jpg

Yes. Very helpful. Thank you. 

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
30 minutes ago, Swiftcloud said:

looking for 3D files for Blasters. Id like to start with the SE 44C for now.

Anyone know where I can get the STL files?

Have you checked the 3D section https://www.whitearmor.net/forum/topic/45172-first-order-se-44cs-tfa-tlj/

• 4 weeks later...

Blaster has been printed and assembled. Just waiting on screw hardware ordered from eBay. Of course it’s coming from China, so that’s going to be a long wait I think. This Corona virus thing has really Put the brakes on commerce and my build process. 
 Although I have been making a bit more progress. I installed @ukswrath sound system into my bucket, which works perfectly!  I highly recommend it! Also added fans. It’s all loaded up now. I’ve also Plastic Welded the ab section and re-sanded and painted. Seems to be much better now, no cracks (yet). Now it looks as though I might have to do the same for the top of the shoulder bands because it is now starting to crack. Unfortunately it is the older 4-piece construction that 850 AW made before they upgraded it to a 2-piece. Considering ordering the newer piece instead of constantly fixing this one.

I received my harness, neck seal, and gasket set from GeekyPink. It is also amazing! Fits perfectly. I went ahead and mounted the clips and snaps to the armor for a first time full suit-up test. Things fit pretty well surprisingly. Unfortunately, the power went out in the middle of dressing up, so we had to take pictures in the dark, lol. -just my luck.

I didn’t bother with the belt at that point because it was dark and I couldn’t see a thing. And my snaps kept popping off for my butt plate, so I’ll have to address that.

I did have a very hard time fitting the gaskets into the bicep armor and decided to re-order a set. This time I have the gaskets to wear when sizing and constructing them. (I should have waited i the first place, lesson learned)

Anyway, still much more work to be done before final paint and finish. But that’s where I’m at for now. The quarantine on the weekends Is kind of a blessing in disguise because I’ve gotten so much done with my FOTK as well as almost completing a Jawa costume for my wife!

I keep moving forward.

Stay safe everyone!

5527C70D-B71A-4302-BDF3-F3B322941D98.jpeg

Edited by Swiftcloud
  • Like 2