tdurden

A Little Tall for a Stormtrooper

Hi, my name's Don and I'm building a TK.

I have been trooping with Garrison Excelsior for going on three years as ANH Vader and acquired an Anovos TK kit. Since I am 6'1", I have little room for error with this build so I've recruited Manbehindthemask to assist (he's actually doing the brunt of the work and, for that, I am very grateful).

I've always been interested in three costumes: Vader, TK, and Boba Fett. Not sure if Fett will ever be in the cards but am excited about being able to troop as the other two.

• Like 2

Hello and welcome aboard, start a build thread and you'll get a lot of helpful feedback, good luck with the build.

• Like 1

Welcome to the FISD Don. I look forward to seeing your build progress.

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

• Like 1

Welcome to FISD! Sounds like you're already in great hands :). Do be sure to start up a build thread, and check out of "Getting Started" section!

If you're ever over in CT, give me a shout!  

• Like 1

8 hours ago, tdurden said:

Hi, my name's Don and I'm building a TK.

I have been trooping with Garrison Excelsior for going on three years as ANH Vader and acquired an Anovos TK kit. Since I am 6'1", I have little room for error with this build so I've recruited Manbehindthemask to assist (he's actually doing the brunt of the work and, for that, I am very grateful).

I've always been interested in three costumes: Vader, TK, and Boba Fett. Not sure if Fett will ever be in the cards but am excited about being able to troop as the other two.

Don, I am 6ft1 as well. 

Does that mean I could go for a Vader build? Or would I look too short?

how did it work for u?

Adam 

TK-51948

• Like 1

Hello Don,

Welcome to FISD.

• Like 1

Welcome! and speaking as someone that has both a TK and Vader, its a great thing. Actually I am selling my Vader though to fund some other things. I hate to see it go but wont really be selling it if I don't get asking. Its fun by man is it killer lol. Good luck with your build and keep us posted!

• Like 1

Welcome to FISD brother ! Goodluck with your build , I'm 5'5'' and still make it work:D , so a little taller is better than a little too short for a stormtrooper

• Like 1

On 8/9/2019 at 7:56 AM, TK-51948 said:

Don, I am 6ft1 as well. 

Does that mean I could go for a Vader build? Or would I look too short?

how did it work for u?

Adam 

TK-51948

At 6'1", I make a 6'5" Vader (that's pretty respectable... only 4 inches shorter than the screen version). You could get closer with lifts - I can't because I have no arches and wouldn't be able to make it through the troop (as I mention in my build thread) but others do and the general rule is to not go over three inches for safety. So do I look short? There are some pretty tall people out there so sometimes but, as for all builds, you work with what you have.

I mention - tongue-in-check - for three reasons: referencing ANH, everyone that I meet tells me to do a death trooper instead, and (most importantly) I'm using an Anovos kit that is only supposed to fit up to six foot. I was told that others were able to make it work but I'm a worrier and will relax when it's done. Hoping others around here, over six foot, have had positive experiences building an Anovos kit.

Which kit do you use?

38 minutes ago, tdurden said:

At 6'1", I make a 6'5" Vader (that's pretty respectable... only 4 inches shorter than the screen version). You could get closer with lifts - I can't because I have no arches and wouldn't be able to make it through the troop (as I mention in my build thread) but others do and the general rule is to not go over three inches for safety. So do I look short? There are some pretty tall people out there so sometimes but, as for all builds, you work with what you have.

I mention - tongue-in-check - for three reasons: referencing ANH, everyone that I meet tells me to do a death trooper instead, and (most importantly) I'm using an Anovos kit that is only supposed to fit up to six foot. I was told that others were able to make it work but I'm a worrier and will relax when it's done. Hoping others around here, over six foot, have had positive experiences building an Anovos kit.

Which kit do you use?

I had to make a lot of modifications to my Jedi-Robe suit with armor (and a lot of help) from the guys at WRA creations. 

Made clearance, plan to pass the build on to my son and do it the right way next time....either get a complete suit from WRA creations or rs-prop masters.

Good to know I have a shot at Vader ....happy to be a TK for now.

Good luck.

TK-51948

Israel

• Like 1

16 hours ago, TK-51948 said:

I had to make a lot of modifications to my Jedi-Robe suit with armor (and a lot of help) from the guys at WRA creations. 

Made clearance, plan to pass the build on to my son and do it the right way next time....either get a complete suit from WRA creations or rs-prop masters.

Good to know I have a shot at Vader ....happy to be a TK for now.

Good luck.

TK-51948

Israel

My first choice was RS Props but wasn't in the cards.

Good luck to you too.

Hi Don and welcome aboard future Trooper! 

Have a read in the “Getting Started-Read this First” section, as there is some really good info in there for new members.

Then, have a read in “Costuming and Builds” section to discover other troopers who are building (or have built) the same armor as you! Really good tips, examples, pictures, previously answered questions, and successes here.

In addition to looking at all the various build threads, I highly recommend checking out the “Advanced Tactics” section where you can see examples of those who have taken their armor to the next levels of screen accuracy (EIB and Centurion).  I’d recommend that you aim to build to one of the certification levels, as TK’s look their best at these levels. It's really not hard to acquire EIB or Centurion, and it’s best to do during your build rather that after.

If, and when, you’re looking for other bits –and-pieces, accessories, boots, blasters, electronics, etc., be sure to check out the “Imperial Commissary/PX” section for items for sale, project runs, and for other stuff that most of the troopers use.

So, start a build thread here on FISD; post lots of pictures and questions. We are all here to help you out and to make sure you look your best, and represent the 501st as best as possible.

All the best on your TK journey! :dancing-trooper:

• Like 1

Welcome! Jealous on the Vader as I am 6’4” but I thoroughly enjoy my AM TK. I’m easily taller than most Vaders I troop with and yes I COULD have done a death trooper but the OT TK is more easily recognizable and it’s alot of fun to troop in! Folks of all ages can associate with the OT TK. Either Vader or Death trooper WILL be my next serious build but for now I’m enjoying my TK and working on a HWT mod as well to fill things out. Hope things go well with your build and don’t get discouraged. You make a more intimidating trooper over 6’! Enjoy it!

Edited by DZFireMedic
  • Like 1

On 8/12/2019 at 9:34 PM, DZFireMedic said:

Welcome! Jealous on the Vader as I am 6’4” but I thoroughly enjoy my AM TK. I’m easily taller than most Vaders I troop with and yes I COULD have done a death trooper but the OT TK is more easily recognizable and it’s alot of fun to troop in! Folks of all ages can associate with the OT TK. Either Vader or Death trooper WILL be my next serious build but for now I’m enjoying my TK and working on a HWT mod as well to fill things out. Hope things go well with your build and don’t get discouraged. You make a more intimidating trooper over 6’! Enjoy it!

I've always wanted to by a TK (preferably ANH) so I get it.

One thing I do have to catch-up with around here is the acronyms :lol:

Definitely visit our getting started forum thread and there’s a lot of acronyms to familiarize yourself with! Helped me a lot!

• Like 1

Welcome aboard!  For taller troopers, I always recommend AM and RT-Mod/RT-Panda.  Both will fit taller and/or larger troopers, but can also be sized down to fit smaller troopers, too.  Great quality, good thickness, very durable.  

• Like 1

On 8/20/2019 at 1:42 PM, sharkbait said:

Welcome aboard!  For taller troopers, I always recommend AM and RT-Mod/RT-Panda.  Both will fit taller and/or larger troopers, but can also be sized down to fit smaller troopers, too.  Great quality, good thickness, very durable.  

Have to stick with the Anovos - already in-hand and was able to get it by chance.

On 8/22/2019 at 7:57 PM, tdurden said:

Have to stick with the Anovos - already in-hand and was able to get it by chance.

Good luck!  They're not made for taller people, you'll likely end up with some mods.  

• Like 1

Well, I am 6'3" and 200 lbs but thin build and the Anovos fit fine with no mods other than flattening the shoulders at the back plate.

Edited by mikidymac
  • Like 1

On 8/26/2019 at 2:03 PM, mikidymac said:

Well, I am 6'3" and 200 lbs but thin build and the Anovos fit fine with no mods other than flattening the shoulders at the back plate.

Probably not much room for error though... that's why I have enlisted help for my build.

Thanks for the encouragement!

I was wondering when you were going to show up. :)

I wouldn't worry too much - you've got Ryan helping you, and there is a lot of helpful information here.

For example: 

It's basically the "go-to" thread for Anovos TK builds.

And since I know you like your electronics:

• Like 1