AP vs. RS Prop questions

Hello all! 

So I have narrowed down my search to either AP or RSP for ANH-S. Now I am stuck. Haha I have emailed both to get some perspective and they both sound great! I've been staring at different builds from both companies on here and it's really hard for me to tell the fine differences between them. 

I had a few questions about them and hoping any of you could shed some light!

1. AP says their ABS is made from .80 gauge plastic and RSP says they make it out of 1.5mm ABS plastic. Which one is thicker? I don't really know how to convert that. Haha I would like to do a lot of trooping and would like the one that holds up best and has a less chance of cracking and if sitting for short periods is less of an issue. 

2. Is there a difference in the color of their ABS? Like is one more white and one more creamy off white? Or are they both same color ABS? And does one ABS yellow quicker?

3. Anyone have experience with the PVC and how it holds up compared to ABS?

4. I am a fairly tall and skinny guy (6' 1", 160lbs, somewhat athletic build). Would these both fit well or does one cater towards my size better?

Sorry for all the questions. I'm trying to really get a good feel for which one I want to buy but I am stuck at this point. Haha Any help and thoughts from experience would be appreciated. Thank you all!

Hello all! 

So I have narrowed down my search to either AP or RSP for ANH-S. Now I am stuck. Haha I have emailed both to get some perspective and they both sound great! I've been staring at different builds from both companies on here and it's really hard for me to tell the fine differences between them. 

1. AP says their ABS is made from .80 gauge plastic and RSP says they make it out of 1.5mm ABS plastic. Which one is thicker? I don't really know how to convert that. Haha I would like to do a lot of trooping and would like the one that holds up best and has a less chance of cracking and if sitting for short periods is less of an issue. 

2. Is there a difference in the color of their ABS? Like is one more white and one more creamy off white? Or are they both same color ABS? And does one ABS yellow quicker?

4. I am a fairly tall and skinny guy (6' 1", 160lbs, somewhat athletic build). Would these both fit well or does one cater towards my size better?

Sorry for all the questions. I'm trying to really get a good feel for which one I want to buy but I am stuck at this point. Haha Any help and thoughts from experience would be appreciated. Thank you all!
I am sorry I can't answer a lot of your questions but I do have a RS PVC kit and I really like PVC. According to the RS website, PVC won't yellow over time unlike ABS plastic. While I am currently building an ABS TK, I have noticed that PVC was easier to mold with hot water treatment compared to ABS when I had to reshape certain pieces.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

• Like 1

3 hours ago, William S. said:

Hello all! 

Preface: Both makers are amazing.  I've owned 3 different AP sets, and I've helped build 2 others.  I've helped build 2 RS builds, as well as knowing 3 people who actively troop in one.  Either choice is gonna be perfect.  Everything below is my personal experience.

That said;

1. I think the AP ABS is thicker.  Honestly AP might be one of the thickest ABS pulls out there.  This leads to softer pull details in some spots, but it does make it super resilient to trooping damage.  I've only developed 2 cracks in my crotch tab, and that's because I sit down in armor because I'm a lazy person.  I've been actively trooping in my main trooper costume for 3 years now.
    I know of one trooper in my unit who has several chestplate cracks on her stormtrooper from RS.  She uses a bracket system though, and that will put extra stress on areas.  I think most cracking with any costume will be mostly based on how your treat it and how well you distribute stress.
  2. There's a slight difference between the RS and the AP ABS.  I find the RS ABS to be a slight off white. I've not compared to a PVC kit.  
    I've not seen yellowing issues with either.  My AP ABS is still stark white after years of trooping.
  3. I have zero experience with PVC, but have heard drawbacks to it and that it is more prone to cracking.  Don't take my word for it though.
  4. You're gonna be fine with either kit at your size and weight :) 

Two things to note about the AP/RS.  The RS helmet is slightly bumpy like the original screen used helmets, and is probably the most faithful to the original for that reason.  The AP helmet is a smoothed and cleaned up version of that, so if you don't like the bumps that's probably better for you.  However if you're super about those movie accurate bumpies, then RS will suit better.  The thighs between the two also look a little different to me, so preference there.

• Like 1

Like Alay, I have built multiples of both kits and each has their pro's and cons.

The AP of which I own is thicker than the RS kits Ive worked on, and is definitely a different white. AP has changed the ABS they use in recent years so those kits seem whiter again than their older version.

AP: Pulls are still pretty darn good and not as soft as some others makers out there, but the RS kits are a touch more detailed.

The stand out differences are

The helmet as mentioned, AP is a cleaned up version but still cast with movie lineage as is most of the suit.

The Ab plate is also cleaned up and I believe cast from an RotJ suit originally. more symmetrical and aligned.

The fore arms and Biceps are identical as the suit cast from was missing several pieces, these are a  cleaned up version.

Both shoulder Bells are identical.

Originally the back and butt plates were joined but Mark has since separated these and uses individual molds.

Overall AP is a more sanitized version but a very hardy and quality kit.

RS: Not as white as the AP kits pulls are sharp as the ABS is not as thick.

The Helmet is full of original detail all paint runs etc bumps and lumps very visible.

Most of the suit is cast from an original so both the arms are different from each other. (number of dimples along the ridge of forearms and differing length, different shaped biceps)

Ab plate: is slightly twisted and asymmetric compared to AP

Legs both have a fair difference in shape around the top.

Shoulder bells are both different in shape.

There are more differences but I think you get the idea :) you cant go wrong which ever you decide, cleaned up idealistic, or warts and all original they both look impressive.

• Like 4

Wow, thank you all for the helpful and detailed advice! I really appreciate you guys taking the time to answer all my questions. And I think I'm going to go with AP! Time to start saving! :) Haha

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

The RS helmet is gorgeous with the imperfections.  I troop with a guy who has one on a regular basis and he's happy with his kit.  That being said, I have an AP myself and have been pretty happy with it.  I WOULD order an extra set or 2 of the shoulder straps as they take a lot of abuse and are prone to breaking.  I think I got about 12 troops out of my first set, and others in my garrison have run into the same issue.

• Like 1