Bin paint

So I'm preparing to do my next build which will take me over to the Spec-Ops Detachment as a Magma Trooper. But I'm thinking I want to do something different with my bin such as I may do it in a matching paint color to my kit. My question is what is a good paint for plastics?

Sent from my VK815 using Tapatalk

Actually from painting plastic for props I find industrial enamel the best, has a little more flex and it's a little thicker. I've tried acrylic but it cracks easily as does cheap enamel paint. 

• Like 1

As Hassan mentioned, priming is the key to paint adhesion.   After masking off the hardware (use blue painter's tape), make sure it is super clean and free of dust, etc.  Know in advance that it will take several cans of paint, and that it will take some time.

Here are some tips:

1.  After priming, let it dry for 3-6 hours.

2.  Apply the paint in THIN coats.  If you put it on too heavy, it will run and cause drips.

3.  Although it may seem dry and ready for a second coat, enamel paint needs to "cure" after each coat for durability.  Don't be in a hurry.

4.  Before removing the painter's tape carefully cut around the edges with an Exacto or razor knife.  Otherwise, you run the risk of peeling off the paint from the surrounding areas.

• Like 3

All good advice given but use a better paint than Rustoleum, there are far better brands that last longer and are harder wearing. Enamel paint is definitely something to think about.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 1

I would echo Andrew's thoughts on Rustoleum.  Although it can be a bit pricey, this is what I use for all projects when painting plastic of any sort:

kekARP0.jpg?1

If you feel ambitious, I would also suggest sanding down all the surfaces to be painted and them cleaning it thoroughly before applying it.  This will rough up the surface a bit and give the paint something to better adhere to.

• Like 2

I would echo Andrew's thoughts on Rustoleum.  Although it can be a bit pricey, this is what I use for all projects when painting plastic of any sort:

kekARP0.jpg?1&key=9eef64dea05aa478a766883b3a74ab0eecf94627b1aee0c7126863a972fb52f5

If you feel ambitious, I would also suggest sanding down all the surfaces to be painted and them cleaning it thoroughly before applying it.  This will rough up the surface a bit and give the paint something to better adhere to.
Yes, this is what I was really looking for! I knew someone made a rattle can formulated for plastic but couldn't remember who it was. I should have known it was Krylon.

Thanks for unintentional reminder Joseph.

Sent from my VK815 using Tapatalk

I've had 100% the opposite experience with Krylons :( Maybe my local stores got bad batches?

Hand painting is also an option ;)

I've had 100% the opposite experience with Krylons  Maybe my local stores got bad batches?

Hand painting is also an option
I've never had a bad experience with krylon paints, but I do know you should never blend your paints. Such as use Rust-Oleum primer with a krylon color or Rust-Oleum primer and color with krylon top coat. The two don't play well together. Same goes for any mixing of the three stick with one and do it.

Sent from my 5054N using Tapatalk

• Like 2

• 4 weeks later...

I'd also give the bin a quick sand and a really good cleaning to help improve adhesion.  Definitely use a good primer, and the best quality paint you can afford.  An airbrush would be ideal instead of commercial spray paint.

Once you get it primed any issues with adhesion go away, as you're not trying to get paint that sticks to plastic any more.  That opens up more choices.

I'd even check with an auto-body repair shop in your area to see what they'd charge to do it.