Death Trooper Variant Build

Vurkanan

Ok well I made a huge error and before discovering you guys at FISD or speaking with my local garrison I ordered a dreaded EBAY kit, got a good price, the advert had all the right words and then it showed....I thought what a disaster.  Turns out Ebay has updated policies and since the seller said item was in Australia where he lives but it shipped from Taiwon and the faults in the armor details fell far short of movie quality they agreed with me that the seller should be responsible for the return ship costs and I was due a refund.  He never supplied the label needed kept trying to con me into paying for it (even offered me a "genuine" George Lucas autographed photo worth $500 according to him) lol.  Anyways since he failed to do his needful I got a complete refund including my shipping costs and I get to keep the bogus suit.  Now I was thinking what should I do with it?  And then it hit me....Death Trooper!   The helm has a huge crack in that even with assembly couldn't be covered but it could be extended and cut out to expose an area where a zombie face could be exposed.  The thumb print detail in bicep that is beyond over-exaggerated could be a spot where battle damage could be simulated, the under sized forearm plates also could be excused as part of this build.   Alot of pieces were ok, some are not fit for a TK build to make EID or Cent level (not even sure if basic passing without tons of work).  Before I start anything thought I would start the build thread, see what people think.  Go for this build, sell it as spare parts or as a kit that is NOT 501st approved or build it as a test kit so when the one I am going to order from AP shows I will have some familiarity?  A poll was added to get feedback.

Hi and welcome aboard, unfortunate that you discovered the forum too late but it does happen. If it were me I'd probably look at a death trooper build, but having some photos of your kit would definitely help us help you. Post up some images, a lot of us use Imgur a free photo host, once upload you can copy the image links directly into your post.

Make sure you check the CRL's (costume reference library) for base requirements of a TK death trooper https://databank.501st.com/databank/Costuming:TK_deathtrooper

Looking forward to seeing some images, good luck what ever you decide. 

rhdZw2V.jpgrCYQExk.jpgrEv3jpD.jpgAAtOraN.jpg

Here are a couple of pics from my BBB day.  Last one you can clearly see the crack I referred to.  If I do go normal build for practice would have the Black Series helm I can use and still change this busted helm into a lamp or something.

20 hours ago, gmrhodes13 said:

Hi and welcome aboard, unfortunate that you discovered the forum too late but it does happen. If it were me I'd probably look at a death trooper build, but having some photos of your kit would definitely help us help you. Post up some images, a lot of us use Imgur a free photo host, once upload you can copy the image links directly into your post.

Make sure you check the CRL's (costume reference library) for base requirements of a TK death trooper https://databank.501st.com/databank/Costuming:TK_deathtrooper

Looking forward to seeing some images, good luck what ever you decide. 

That link has GREAT pics of the zombie trooper is the helm forced to follow that exact pattern or can there be some variants like where the crack in my helm is and could cause exposed skin could get zombie prosthetic pieces.

You will find that the crack will be covered mostly with the ears.

You can have any cracks/pieces missing and exposed prosthetics behind, you don't have to follow the CRL image they are there as a guide, just don't go overboard, a nice tips thread here  https://www.whitearmor.net/forum/topic/16595-death-trooper-tips/

One thing to also bare in mind is: This particular costume may not be welcome at all 501st events. This is not recommended as a primary Legion membership costume, for which events you would have to contact your GCO and GML.

Looking at your images some of the details are quite soft and pieces that should be separate are molded to the armor, personally I would go for a Death Trooper build but entirely up to you.

4 hours ago, gmrhodes13 said:

You will find that the crack will be covered mostly with the ears.

Someone from my local garrison was in my area for an event and stopped by afterwards and took a look at the kit I had received and advised of the issues with it making it as a normal approved kit.  He noted from pics I posted to my local the crack (I actually had missed it initially in my excitement of unpacking) and took the rest of the helm pieces and said it would extend past where the parts I have would cover.  I actually am missing pieces and since this is a failed return I won't be getting the missing parts so the helm has no ear pieces and can't cover anything up.  Even for a death trooper I am going to have to come up with ear pieces .

• Like 1

Ok so checking out zombie prosthetics and markup kits first to see whats available to incorporate into my envisioned look.  So many bad zombie looks out there  and I know the appearance I am going to aim for and the manner of death, time passed, and injuries that would be exposed through armor and battle damage to armor, but trying to find applicable parts to use will be a challenge.  And once I have them opening the armor to implant them and then will sand and age the armor to the desired look.  

I am going to post some links from the dreaded ebay and see what I get for feedback on each.  Any half/partial/full latex masks would be "butchered" to use for exposed skin areas in various places I have in mind. There are several face and half face masks I would not be using or getting them all they are just the ones that had features that caught my eye.

https://www.ebay.ca/itm/Latex-Zombie-Jaw-Prosthetic-Red-with-Adhesive-UK-IMPORT-COST-ACC-NEW/273878468539?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_trksid=p2060353.m1438.l2649

https://www.ebay.ca/itm/Army-Half-face-Corpse-Dead-Zombie-Skull-Airsoft-Paintball-Tactical-Protect-Mask/123306228777?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_trksid=p2060353.m1438.l2649

https://www.ebay.ca/itm/Halloween-Cosplay-Tactical-Paintball-Airsoft-Safety-Half-Face-Skull-Zombies-Mask/322562106478?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&var=511545220741&_trksid=p2060353.m1438.l2649

https://www.ebay.ca/itm/Molezu-Zombie-Vampire-Mask-Adult-Latex-Mask-Costume-Party-Cosplay-Scary-Horror/401753733315?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&var=671533191154&_trksid=p2060353.m1438.l2649

https://www.ebay.ca/itm/Pro-prosthetic-chest-horror-latex-rubber-zombie-fancy-dress-Smart-FX/332163702154?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&var=541196707567&_trksid=p2060353.m1438.l2649

https://www.ebay.ca/itm/Hand-Bones-Halloween-Fake-Prosthetic-Latex-Joke-Scar-Fancy-Dress-Zombie-Make-Up/332783190078?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_trksid=p2060353.m1438.l2649

https://www.ebay.ca/itm/Spare-Ribs-Chest-Wound-Zombie-Dress-Up-Halloween-Costume-Makeup-Latex-Prosthetic/251775359783?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_trksid=p2060353.m1438.l2649

I'm not going to go through all your links, basically you only have to generally resemble the CRL, does not need to be exact so you can use on areas not seen on the CRL ;) 

It's mainly the look after you have finished weathering it which will probably be more crucial 

ZZcsss4.jpgAp0dtpY.jpgEvdCZqi.jpgYeQQW1r.jpg

My first forearm all glued up.  There is a small blue mark on one side, its plastic glove glue caught onto that I will buff out but otherwise my first assemble piece.  Have the shoulderbells already strapped and hand plates.

You really don't want to see any gaps from the sides, it is best to use E6000 glue especially if you need to remove for any reason. Glue normally takes at least 24 hours to dry so apply one coverstrip, wait at least 24 hours before applying another. Magnets, clamps and painters tape can help to keep coverstrips down while they are drying, the painters take you can apply some downward pressure to the parts before applying the tape, it will hold them down nicely.

Also nip the corners of the coverstrips off or they can catch.

Trimming, re-gluing and so on so no new pics yet to post.  Missing some parts as kit sent was junk to start with so no surprise things missing.

I saw another thread by someone who did a deathtrooper who had been lucky enough to receive some damaged pieces of armor from others, so I figured nothing ventured no gained right?  

If anyone has any spare parts or damaged armor pieces and is willing to donate let me know I am sure we can arrange something.

• 2 weeks later...

Here is one glove zombiefied but before I do anything to the handplate to go over it.  Putting the prosthetics in place before armor placement so 2 things are accomplished.  First I have idea on how I want things to look and placed so canvas first.  Secondly as costume worn and wear and tear happens there will be in place move zombie part revealed and already compensates for this.  

XyNhLyi.jpg

Edited by Vurkanan

• 1 month later...