I'm new and need help

So I'm about to buy my first kit. Problem is I dont know where to start and who to really avoid. 

I want to start with regular OT TK Armor, my price range is $1,500 to $2,500. 

So my question for anyone out there is where did you get your armor. Last thing I want to do is get something low quality and have to put more work into it. So if you could drop some links so I can do some research that would help me alot! Thanks! 

• Like 1

Hi Austin, Welcome to FISD.  

You may want to look at the following forum section. You can find so usefull info there.

https://www.whitearmor.net/forum/forum/38-getting-started-read-this-first/

Cheers

• Like 1

Hello and welcome, lots of info in the getting started section, the vetted sellers list is a good place to start.

I have ATA armor and on to my 2nd set after 7 years of trooping, my first set was just a bit scuffed from trooping so is now converted to a Sandtrooper.

Also have a look through some of the build sections, will give you a good idea of some differences between the armor.

Hope to see a build thread from you in the not too distant future.

Good luck with the research.

Welcome, Austin, and you are doing the exact thing I always recommend, which is asking questions!  Although this site can appear a bit overwhelming with all the info available we are here to help guide you through.

The link Mario gave you is where you will find many of the answers you need, but always feel free to ask if there is something you can't find.

When considering an armorer, the ones in the "vetted" section are tried and true:  https://www.whitearmor.net/forum/topic/11538-the-various-types-of-armor-and-where-to-find-them/

Note that depending on your body shape/size, some armorers have variations for taller/larger troopers.

It's also important to know who NOT to buy from:  https://www.whitearmor.net/forum/topic/19329-where-what-and-whom-to-avoid-when-buying/

Again, we are always available for any advice you need so don't be shy about asking!!

• Like 2

Mario and Joseph already chimed in with some great sources!

One thing to remember; AVOID EBAY!  if it feels like a deal or a steal, it's probably a ripoff in disguise!  Etsy can also be very hit or miss!

Also, buying completed kits from other members can be problematic; to be approved it will need to fit *you* properly, and adjusting a built costume can sometimes be very tough!

Just buyer beware :)

• Like 1

Austin --- You don't say where you live, but wherever it is there's sure to be a 501st Garrison that's local to you.  In addition to asking questions here, contact your local Garrison.  Not only will they be able to give you advice, but by attending your Garrison's event you can get an up-close look at a variety of armors.

A.J.

• Like 1

Hi Austin, as in the link  https://www.whitearmor.net/forum/topic/11538-the-various-types-of-armor-and-where-to-find-them/

most Armors are made of:

MATERIALS

Armor is made from either HIPS or ABS.

HIPS

--- Pros: generally less expensive, easier to trim.

--- Cons: needs painting or serious polishing to look shiny. Most HIPS will not be as durable as ABS or take the stress of ABS

--- Suitability: will hold up fine for regular trooping

ABS

--- Pros: no need to paint, high durability

--- Cons: may lack the detail of HIPS, usually harder to trim

--- Suitability: will hold up fine for regular trooping plus take a lot of ab

I don't know if there are PVC armors .  My preference  is for ABS, most resistent for long trooping , don't need to paint.  

Cheers

RS does a PVC kit.  It's very very very bright white from my recollection.  I am not sure I've ever seen it outside of photos though.

• Like 1

We have a member in our garrison that went the PVC RS and I can concur, it cracks, all over the place. He has had to reinforce the inside of the chest plate, and as he also went the bracket system for strapping all have cracked through as well.
He has made extensive repairs and is now going to convert it to a sandy it has become that bad.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 1

I personally would echo the above opinions and go with ABS, which is what most of us have.  It's not as hard to trim as you may think, and (depending on the thickness) it will hold up for a very, very long time.  My Stunt and HWT armor are AM and I have put them though hell and back on countless troops with no cracks or issues.  My Anovos (Hero) armor is a lot thinner, and even after a few troops it started developing cracks and splits which I had to patch/repair.

• Like 2

Welcome to the FISD! You are getting plenty of sources from great members here. Keep asking questions, and follow along, and you will be a trooper before ya know it. 

• 1 month later...

Yes, lots of good information preseneted here.  One thing you may want to consider is the thickness of some kits.  I tend to bump into things and can be clumsy sometimes.  I went with a kit that was a little thicker material.  the advantage of thinner is kit is that can get a little bit more detail on tight corners and curves, but I have a couple friend who have to fix with reinforcements on the back side to repair the thinner kits.  I also like the feel o heavier material as it mimics weight and movement.  To each their own.

Michael Rose

TK-12037

Great Lakes Garrison

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Welcome Austin, you have come to the BEST DETACHMENT in the Legion always remember:
Always ask questions......
Research, Research, & more RESEARCH !!!
Post pictures... we love pictures !!!
Measure 3x, cut 1x...
Create a build thread....
Plenty of PATIENCE !!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 1