Has anybody tried 3D printing a megablaster?

Hello all. I'm thinking about upgrading my FO TK to a heavy gunner, so clearly I need a heavy gun. I have a 3D printer and have just had a very positive experience printing TheFifthHorseman's SE-44C, so my natural inclination is to continue doing that if I can. I see camprandall's files for the greeblie box (and they look fantastic!), but I'm lazy/optimistic enough to want to print the whole thing if possible. There's an STL file for a whole megablaster available from do3d.com, with photos indicating that they at least have managed to get something pretty good looking out of it, but I see that do3d has at best mixed reviews overall, and their STL files are expensive. Has anybody tried printing their blaster, or any other megablaster, or does anyone know somebody who has? Or do you have other thoughts on approaches to this? Thanks!

Edited by DanielEisenhauer

12 minutes ago, gmrhodes13 said:

I noticed a while ago Do3D had files

Yeah, that's what prompted this post. The reviews I've seen have mostly indicated that Do3D doesn't have a great reputation (models aren't printable, stuff isn't screen-accurate, customer service is terrible, etc). A lot of their stuff is really ambitions, though--they offer files for full stormtrooper armor, for instance, and I don't think it's at all likely that you could actually print that and get anything useful by 501st standards--and that may be feeding some of the negative reviews. The megablaster is much more approachable than a full armor kit, but I haven't seen anybody else that's printed one. Obviously whoever took those pictures has managed to print the whole thing, and it looks reasonable, but before I purchase an expensive STL file I'd like to see if anybody else has tried it and can vouch for printability/accuracy/etc.

If you do end up contacting them, I suggest doing it via their facebook page. In my experience, they are much better to talk to by facebook than their email. If you'd like another alternative, you could try converting the Nerf Version, perhaps adding some 3D printed additions if you'd like, to help it look a bit more realistic. Good luck.

Upon further inspection I realized that the Do3D version has the trigger in entirely the wrong place on the blaster--behind the grip rather than in the (large, obvious) trigger guard. That speaks sufficiently poorly of their quality that there's no way I'm paying $60 for the thing. I'll go some other route, either scratchbuilding most of it or making an STL file myself.

Edited by DanielEisenhauer

6 hours ago, DanielEisenhauer said:

Upon further inspection I realized that the Do3D version has the trigger in entirely the wrong place on the blaster--behind the grip rather than in the (large, obvious) trigger guard. That speaks sufficiently poorly of their quality that there's no way I'm paying $60 for the thing. I'll go some other route, either scratchbuilding most of it or making an STL file myself.

Sorry to hear Daniel, I made the mistake of purchasing a file from them almost 2 year ago in the hopes it might be workable, alas, I should have known better myself.

There files are great for Cos players but not good enough for 501st or anyone that loves the finer details of accuracy.

Its great if you have the time and skill to create the files yourself and of course the ultimate level of satisfaction it can bring.

Good luck

• 2 months later...