Hello everybody! I recently purchased real M38 scope off ebay for a good price. As I learn more about this hobby I know that the best way to get better is through practice. Therefore I decided I would try my hand at molding and casting replicas of the scope. Here is the scope:

jg0fXHQ.jpg

It is a 1943 version and it is in very good nick.

I began by cleaning the scope and building a little box for it out of foam core. Then I used my pottery knowledge from middle school

DAegKc9.jpg

It wasn't the smoothest, but it'll work. One thing I wish I did was add escapes for air bubbles at this point, but I didn't think about that until after I cast. Here are some pics.

boLLV98.jpg

yN7dXGp.jpg

The mold itself is not the prettiest, but the detail of the scope was great! One thing that always bugged me about resin copies of scopes is that to make them believable you had to drill and clean the insides out and then add lenses. I have seen others here do this wonderfully, but I lacked the skill and patience when I first started out here. Tino will remember this.

So what I decided to do in this case was to cast in clear resin. This way all you have to do is mask the lenses before painting and then pull them off afterwards. Here is the first cast:

pr7KGHb.jpg

This is where I learned I needed to cut in some escapes for air and whatnot. But to prove this concept I painted this scope today to see how it would look. Note I didn't bother cleaning this casting up much as it was so defective. Here are the pictures:

9kQr0Fe.jpg

a8SOGEO.jpg

sdvA8fo.jpg

FOlfZpE.jpg

iUUpNwt.jpg

54YZsPi.jpg

QOKIE4p.jpg

JNZHE3d.jpg

Let me know what you think! For my first ever silicone mold I am pretty happy, but I will probably make a new one eventually. Cheers!

Edited by T K
  • Like 3

I like it!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

This is so weird as I have also been experimenting doing exactly the same thing as you using polyurethane Resin as also thought about using clear resin to do something similar, Im looking at making a de-gassing chamber to get rid of the bubbles.

Well done Aaron it looks great!

11 hours ago, welshchris77 said:

This is so weird as I have also been experimenting doing exactly the same thing as you using polyurethane Resin as also thought about using clear resin to do something similar, Im looking at making a de-gassing chamber to get rid of the bubbles.

Well done Aaron it looks great!

It is money well spent. We bought one from Ali express and its still going strong.

Make sure you get a reasonable size so you can fit larger items in it.  I am considering making a larger version with heavy duty PVC pipe ( industrial grade) the type used for under ground piping, sealed at one end with a silicon gasket and Lexen window at the other. The existing pump should work fine just take more time to evacuate the chamber and draw the bubbles out of the resin.

• Like 1

On 8/1/2019 at 8:34 AM, Sly11 said:

It is money well spent. We bought one from Ali express and its still going strong.

Make sure you get a reasonable size so you can fit larger items in it.  I am considering making a larger version with heavy duty PVC pipe ( industrial grade) the type used for under ground piping, sealed at one end with a silicon gasket and Lexen window at the other. The existing pump should work fine just take more time to evacuate the chamber and draw the bubbles out of the resin.

I have build one myself from an old pot and a fridge compressor (will post a build thread) ;)

On 7/21/2019 at 1:01 PM, RoCKo said:

What paints did you use? I really like the result!

Sorry for the late reply. I used a brass and a satin black spray paint to achieve this look. I'll be posting a guide here on how I got the weathered look.

Guide would be perfect!

I did a lot of painting and weathering myself in all those years but I always think others work looks better than mine!  :unsure:

There is always something to learn, right!?