T K[501st] Posted July 21, 2019 Report Share Posted July 21, 2019 (edited) [Edit November 20, 2020] This thread was initially created to document my experiments with molding and casting a M38 scope, but it has now expanded and I did not want to create another thread when this one would suffice. I had hoped to finish with this whole project this summer (2020), but when Covid hit I did not have to opportunity to work on it as much as I would like to. I am not the best at keeping my threads up to date so I'll post below where I am now. I am a college student and I don't really have the space or tools for this project so most of this work was done when I visited my parents home or received help from a friend. Oh, lastly it is important to know that my welding skills are almost non-existent, so show some mercy. ______________________________________________ Hello everybody! I recently purchased real M38 scope off ebay for a good price. As I learn more about this hobby I know that the best way to get better is through practice. Therefore I decided I would try my hand at molding and casting replicas of the scope. Here is the scope: It is a 1943 version and it is in very good nick. I began by cleaning the scope and building a little box for it out of foam core. Then I used my pottery knowledge from middle school It wasn't the smoothest, but it'll work. One thing I wish I did was add escapes for air bubbles at this point, but I didn't think about that until after I cast. Here are some pics. The mold itself is not the prettiest, but the detail of the scope was great! One thing that always bugged me about resin copies of scopes is that to make them believable you had to drill and clean the insides out and then add lenses. I have seen others here do this wonderfully, but I lacked the skill and patience when I first started out here. Tino will remember this. So what I decided to do in this case was to cast in clear resin. This way all you have to do is mask the lenses before painting and then pull them off afterwards. Here is the first cast: This is where I learned I needed to cut in some escapes for air and whatnot. But to prove this concept I painted this scope today to see how it would look. Note I didn't bother cleaning this casting up much as it was so defective. Here are the pictures: Let me know what you think! For my first ever silicone mold I am pretty happy, but I will probably make a new one eventually. Cheers! Edited November 20, 2020 by T K Updating the thread. 4 Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Join the conversation
You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.