Rubies conversion 2019!

RedBaronBob

So just to preface this, I’m not expecting to troop in this any time soon if at all. See I managed to snag this suit not only on a whim…, but also the exponentially cheap (it was ridiculous at how little I nabbed it for) and I always kind of wanted one even if I was just going to mangle it. I already have a TIE reserve and so this simply isn’t the primary. My intention was intending to go for the Clones but I just stumbled onto this and without seeing another seller whose asking price wasn’t a kidney and my first born child, I thought “why not?” and just got it. So it got here within a day and I frankly don’t see much wrong with it outside of what I've already known about like the button plate being upside down, the heretical rivets on the shoulder straps, etc.

I'm going to frankly take this piece by piece as to not overwhelm myself but also make some progress as incremental as it may be. I'm in no hurry to finish it and I already have an approved suit so I'm just going to take my time. I just figured since ROTJ is used in most builds and this has the most resemblance to it I'm probably in the right ballpark to do this.

Lets begin;

7/20/2019

I cut off the stock fabric strapping seeing as it's not very good and I could see this snapping at some point. I'm not going to bother with the chest today seeing as I have work soon. I'd like to know if I could just cut the part with the rivet holes off. It seems like that's more of a hassle in refilling it than it's worth and I could use that epoxy sculpt on other things like refilling the holes on the chest plate.

I also feel like the detail on the pectoral region is a little soft. Maybe it's just me but I feel something is up with it. It wouldn't be difficult to correct if it is though and probably no more than a few hours of work to make that sharper.

Compressed chestbox.jpg

• Like 1

So the rivets got removed and and the ab plat buttons are flipped. Still am waiting on the epoxy sculpt to harden so I'll just move on to things like the forearms next while waiting on the epoxy and velcro. Anybody have suggestions how to fully close the gauntlets?

Resized chest (2).JPG

• 4 months later...

So hilariously (at least to me) this won’t be complete within 2019 since I had so much in between when I started this and subsequently posted again. 
I didn’t stop working on it though.

so out of the gate;

- I had to redo the edges on the armor because Rubies has really soft pulls. Every time I thought I was done I kept getting pulled away to another edge. The back plate was the biggest pain and I feel like I’ll have to touch up something but so far so good. Edges would get sculpted in using Epoxy sculpt.

- The thigh belt had to be flipped and genuinely took me by surprise that Rubies installs this upside down.

- gauntlets are now fully closed thanks to epoxy sculpt.

- not sure if I have to close the boots fully and the thighs. If I do that’s something I can change reasonably quickly.
-kidney plate looked too soft so I raised the edge with epoxy sculpt.

Not sure whether to be proud of this or not but I got a reddit account to have it roasted. What amused me was that one person commented it was a rubies and everyone else told me to go for a Sandtrooper (probably special edition). Not sure if I’ll do that but the weathering was intended to be based on the battlefront troopers. Though I guess since the heavies are mostly the same thing I could get away with it.

2548CD78-7C1A-4809-B206-2C3446233A0D.jpeg

29CD6E98-AE3B-44AF-92AA-D2AD3CCF4FC6.jpeg

Ignore the black series helmet as it will be replaced much later. Since I’m basing it around Battlefront (is that grounds to move the thread?) I may replace the Rubies with an ANH helmet. However the base needs to work first.

-belt got attached

-re strapped temporarily to test fit

-applied new weathering detail as gloss coat made the old one look weird. Might change later. Clean troopers feel weird to me IDK.00CB12DD-A590-4F11-A564-30EA00382B84.jpeg.ba0b5b3c59c0bd94e0aedf5a7a0f8963.jpeg

I noted the shoulders don’t fit right so I have to move them out farther. Bicep armor also doesn’t have enough room for me so it either gets replaced or I trim it to fit. Hopefully I can trim it.

1A748544-F3BE-480D-8F57-A5CA38BA2508.jpeg