How is Han sitting in his armor!?

Thrawndike bar

Han sits down in his TK armor on the Death Star in ANH.  :shok:

DiYCuN1.jpg

My one question is HOW!?  Maybe they removed his butt plate for the part?  Still, even if they did, there seems to be some high stress on his armor, especially on his chest plate.  Please share if you have any theories, or info on how they actually did this and if there was any damage to his costume.  

I have sat in mine, although my chest won't do that, I just don't do it often as it will eventually break.

And Han wouldn't have given a toss as he stole it an didn't cost him hundreds of $'s  :laugh1:

Nothing special at all. The original armor were just vacuum-formed in a highly flexible ABS, unlike most of what we can buy today. The only person that I know of who has ever replicated that is Paul aka Troopermaster (who else, anyway). Have a look here:

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Thrawndike bar said:

So we're the suits that Han and Luke used specially made to be flexible? 

No they broke too, here´s an example of a posterior plate come loose and a snapped sniper knee.

fa419Xf.png

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Thrawndike bar said:

So we're the suits that Han and Luke used specially made to be flexible?  Because you see Stormtroopers in ANH with cracked armor and duct tape repairs all throughout the movie.

Wow!  That is some awesome armor Paul!

No, they were made from regular gloss ABS like I use. The problem with most of the 501st armour is it way too rigid and they like to use 2mm or thicker ABS for some strange reason.  If you use thick plastic and webbing strapping systems with interlocking hinges and whatever else I seen used, you'll never get to sit down without cracking your armour. The movie strapping works extremely well with the correct ABS and I highly recommend it to everyone :)

• Like 3

15 minutes ago, troopermaster said:

No, they were made from regular gloss ABS like I use. The problem with most of the 501st armour is it way too rigid and they like to use 2mm or thicker ABS for some strange reason.  If you use thick plastic and webbing strapping systems with interlocking hinges and whatever else I seen used, you'll never get to sit down without cracking your armour. The movie strapping works extremely well with the correct ABS and I highly recommend it to everyone :)

Hey Paul, just curious if you´re still doing the 1mm?

8 minutes ago, troopermaster said:

Hi Daniel,

Not currently using the 1mm but I could order some if you're interested?

I would be interested further down the line, currently doing a Boba-build and armor-funds are low at the moment so I`ll get back to you on that, great to hear it´s a possibility - thanks:duim:

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Thrawndike bar said:

I thought I read that they were made out of rubber.

Correct. You can see the white paint coming off on this armour worn by Peter Diamond as he stumbles through the blast door.

aJgax0P.jpg

Rubber legs also make an appearance in ESB,

nXYtGgk.jpg

and ROTJ.

w2gS560.jpg

• Like 1

13 hours ago, troopermaster said:

Correct. You can see the white paint coming off on this armour worn by Peter Diamond as he stumbles through the blast door.

aJgax0P.jpg

Rubber legs also make an appearance in ESB,

nXYtGgk.jpg

and ROTJ.

w2gS560.jpg

Boy, I wish I had a pair of those! Maybe a rubber butt plate too! :laugh1:

Like Paul clearly stated the original movie armors were very thin so more flexible as you can see from Han's chest plate, you will also notice Han's thigh pieces bend quite a bit as he jump into the trash compactor, a 2mm+ plastic doesn't have any give and the armor would just cut into your skin, way too rigid for stunt work.

I use .80 gauge which is thicker than original because IMHO its the best of both worlds, you get durability and real armor feel without loosing too much details, 1mm is very thin and gets even thinner in many spots when thermoforming so it has a very cheap/fragile feel to it, when people pay that much money for a costume they expect quality and a 1mm though its movie accurate and pulls are super sharp it simply looks too flimsy for a armor.

BTW Paul your more in a lying down position and to boot on a soft couch so the armor doesn't get the same stress ;)  

Mark (AP) 

Edited by ABS80

On 7/21/2019 at 5:19 AM, ABS80 said:

1mm is very thin and gets even thinner in many spots when thermoforming so it has a very cheap/fragile feel to it, 

1mm is very thin but that doesn't mean it's fragile or cheap if you use a good grade of ABS.

when people pay that much money for a costume they expect quality and a 1mm though its movie accurate and pulls are super sharp it simply looks too flimsy for a armor.

People approach me and specifically ask for 1mm ABS because they want that super-flexible armour.

BTW Paul your more in a lying down position and to boot on a soft couch so the armor doesn't get the same stress ;)  

Getting into that position wasn't easy, trust me. It's not a case of what you sit on but how the armour reacts when you try to sit down. Using a flexible ABS allows the armour to bend much more than rigid .80 gauge, especially when using the original strapping system that is prone to cracking where the brackets attach. My armour did not suffer from any cracking while sitting down, Flexible ABS can take more stress but that doesn't mean it's unbreakable  - just more resistant.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, troopermaster said:

1mm is very thin but that doesn't mean it's fragile or cheap if you use a good grade of ABS.

I get you 100% but I didn't say its cheap, it just feels cheap/fragile when people handle it first hand.

Mark (AP)

• 4 months later...