MissingNo Requesting Pre Approval Review (ATA)

Name: Peter DeNicola

Future Garrison: Star Garrison

Armor Maker: ATA

Helmet Maker: ATA

Cloth Belt Maker: Trooperbay

Neck Seal Maker: Trooperbay?

Boot maker: TK Boots

Blaster Maker: MGC

Height: 5'10

Weight: 180

TK Type: ANH Stunt

Help: Tim Waychoff, Use of Pandatrooper's Helmet Guide, ukswrath's armor build guide.

Pictures: https://imgur.com/a/fOUdvSg

Hey Peter,

Welcome to the world of shiny white!!

A few things jump out at me, but I’m sure the Pros here on FISD can get you looking your best. 

1. Chest overlap Ab. It’s a result of the original strapping style you used. Possibly shorten strapping? 

2. Tube stripes are way too low. Should sit a pencil width away from the cheek/tube mould line. 

3. Ab buttons are too large. Could use a toothpick dipped in thinner to remove some paint

4. Arm strapping. Are you using any to keep everything lined up and in place? Seems to shift around a lot in the photos. 

None of these suggestions are meant to bring you down, quite the opposite. Theses are meant to bring Imperial Conformity to the 501st. When you look good, we all look good. And we want you to look your best!!

• Like 1

Thanks a lot for the quick look over, Coastertk. I haven't put in any arm strapping yet, right now its all sort of just held up by momentum...Any recommendations for what I should use?

Thankfully those tube stripes are just stickers so it should be easy to replace them, and I had heard the suggestion about the chest overlap--I'll have to take a look and see what I can do. Thanks for the input thus far, I knew there were going to be some things I had to improve on--but, I'm at least happy to finally have something actually put together.

A few extra things to add to Jay's list:

Brow trim should be straight.

No extra paint on gums, should only be on teeth area.

ANH_Trooper_Christies_09.JPG

You don't have much room at our knees and they will catch, does appear that your shins could sit lower on the boots, some times a little heat is required to open the bottom of the shins so they are a little more rounded than oval.

You could also add some scrab abs behind the knee lower ridge join, or even abs paste.

anhupperleftthigh2.jpg

Also on the tube stripes if you do move them up to a pencil width try to have the fall at the front greater. Back///////////Front

NOnMRqt.jpg

Thigh rivets should be painted white.

Something weird with your left calf back with the cover strip, can see 3 small squares, both outers should cover the inners so the opening can't be seen from the outside.

IGesORV.jpg

Shoulder straps not sitting flush and central on the rear. You also have some white elastic showing on the top left should strap next to the neck.

Helmet looks to be sitting quite high and there is a big gap at your neck, perhaps adjust the padding?

Handguards don't appear to be held down tight enough, look at the right one at the back. You could also trim the handguards a little more, there is still a trim ridge showing.

Right back thigh cover strip stops a little too short.

JH5It7Z.jpg

Just some tweaks and I'm sure you won't have any problems.

Good luck with approval.

• Like 1

Peter, you're going great so far!  The advice that Jay posted are all the major things that jump out to me.  That chest overlap on the ab plate and the ab plate buttons being so large stand out to me.

Keep up the good work, you're almost there and will be trooping in no time! :)

Really nice job on this ATA kit, Peter, and I see an official TK number in your future soon!  Whether you are aiming for basic or higher levels, in addition to what has already been mentioned I would suggest the following to make this set of armor look it's best:

1.   The ABS belt could definitely stand to come up some more.  Ideally the top should cover the bottom of the ab-button plate.  The drop boxes should align UNDER the ABS belt.  This one may hold you up on basic approval.  Easy to fix those by lengthening and adjusting the straps.  The outer edges of the drop box should align with the outer edge of the ABS belt.

Reference images

nk9NYB2.jpg?2  saNNTgh.jpg?1  ArOKkSg.jpg?1

Your biceps are twisted out.  The "thumbprint" should be on the inside.

LXyXTZ1.jpg

Reference images

6z0I4eX.jpg?1  NAmiC3f.jpg?1   hgbaDKO.jpg?1

The following items will not affect your basic approval, but are just recommendations...

1.  Your shoulder bells are on backward.  As noted in the photo, the "swoop" should face forward.  Not a biggie, but more of a heads-up.  Also, removing the return edge from the bottoms of the shoulder bells (screen accurate) will allow them to ride closer to your biceps, which will help to eliminate the gaps between your shoulder bells and chest plate.

Xrikt0x.jpg?1       

Reference images

k9NHiix.jpg?1QBYQQ7M.jpg?1BbwCVz6.jpg?1

2.  Some Troopers like the look of return edges which make the armor look thicker, but if you want to go for a more screen accurate look there were none on the originals.  Again, no biggie, it's just a matter of taste.

Reference images

FWiwQfT.jpg?3    waUUutB.jpg?3      dqzYpb4.jpg?1

Speaking of return edges, I noticed that you still have some on your upper thighs.  This will not affect approval at any level, but you may find that they cut into your thighs while walking and those sharp points can snag on your under suit.  2 minutes with a Dremel tool would smooth them out and make them more comfortable.

Reference image

9UmofRq.jpg?1  XKqke7e.jpg?1

These are just suggestions, and you can opt to address them or not.  You did a fantastic job on this kit. and I look forward to welcoming you to the FISD as an official Stormtrooper!!

• Like 1

Thanks for the advice! In the process of making some improvements, will be posting update pictures later this week. Shortened the strapping on the the chest and it seems to fit a better now, will have to see how excessive moving impacts it. Also added strapping to the arms, so those all sit a bit more still. Widened up the biceps so I could get them further up my arm. 

Still need to fix the tube stripes, waiting on some stickers for that one, and the surgical removal of some paint from the ab button. 

A lot of it seems to be adjustment issues in terms of how the costume is sitting on you. How do you best keep that sort of thing stable during actually wearing the costume? 

15 hours ago, MissingNo said:

Still need to fix the tube stripes, waiting on some stickers for that one, and the surgical removal of some paint from the ab button. 

A lot of it seems to be adjustment issues in terms of how the costume is sitting on you. How do you best keep that sort of thing stable during actually wearing the costume? 

You can re-use your original stickers by covering  them with a piece of packing tape. Then peeling the tape off and using a blade tip (Olfa or similar razor knife) to “assist” the tube stripes up onto your packing tape. Reposition them, On The Opposite Sides and repeat with the blade, this time removing them from the tape. 

It’s worth a shot. 

And that paint removal will take 15 minutes. You’ll be surprised how easy the paint comes off. 

As for stability while wearing it.. if it’s fitted and strapped correctly, that’s not really an issue. Although Velcro can help you out of a jam if you’re in it. My belt for example used to sit too low. Not anymore. Some people use it for shifting shins. Between the boot and shin. Find out what’s unstable, then figure out how to stabilize it. 

Edited by Coastertk

In looking over your pics again I did notice a few other items.  The first one is a requirement for basic approval, so you have a little work ahead of you.  Don't get discouraged, though, I have faith in you!  :jc_doublethumbup:

The cover strip on your left rear calf seems to be attached on the wrong side.  As per the CRL. "The cover strip edge shall be facing the inside of the leg".  Your right one is perfect!  It appears as if you have several small pieces of Velcro holding it on.  I would suggest using one long strip.  Hopefully you used E-6000 to glue it on, as that will make it much easier to remove/re-position.  Note in the reference photo how the opening is on the inside.

Reference image

gmzJPpx.jpg    Nv8rNpu.jpg?2

Although thigh ammo packs were all over the place in ANH, yours could stand to come up a bit  (at least enough to cover the bottom ridge).  You can take it as high as shown, which is not only acceptable at all levels but would also cover the gap at the join.  An easy fix with a few dabs of E-6000!

wUYwMjZ.jpg 

Reference image

qWYacnf.jpg?1

Lastly, your shoulder straps are a little askew.  The right one is good to go, but the way the angle sits on the left one is causing it to sit much higher and not flush on the back plate as the right one does.  Maybe not a deal-breaker for Basic approval, but something to think about for higher levels and to give you a better look.

0pMRyZ1.jpg?1  FOC51VC.jpg?1

Reference images

8fplRYI.jpg?1   X9L8Dcu.jpg?1

I realize that these items (and others mentioned) may seem like a pain, and just when you think you have it nailed along comes all these suggestions.  Trust me when I say it's happened to all of us!  (My first Basic submission was a disaster, lol).  However, you have mad build skills and we are here to help with any issues you want/need to tackle.  You are also welcome to PM me if you have any specific issues.

3 hours ago, justjoseph63 said:

In looking over your pics again I did notice a few other items.  The first one is a requirement for basic approval, so you have a little work ahead of you.  Don't get discouraged, though, I have faith in you!  :jc_doublethumbup:

The cover strip on your left rear calf seems to be attached on the wrong side.  As per the CRL. "The cover strip edge shall be facing the inside of the leg".  Your right one is perfect!  It appears as if you have several small pieces of Velcro holding it on.  I would suggest using one long strip.  Hopefully you used E-6000 to glue it on, as that will make it much easier to remove/re-position.  Note in the reference photo how the opening is on the inside.

Reference image

gmzJPpx.jpg    Nv8rNpu.jpg?2

Although thigh ammo packs were all over the place in ANH, yours could stand to come up a bit  (at least enough to cover the bottom ridge).  You can take it as high as shown, which is not only acceptable at all levels but would also cover the gap at the join.  An easy fix with a few dabs of E-6000!

wUYwMjZ.jpg 

Reference image

qWYacnf.jpg?1

Lastly, your shoulder straps are a little askew.  The right one is good to go, but the way the angle sits on the left one is causing it to sit much higher and not flush on the back plate as the right one does.  Maybe not a deal-breaker for Basic approval, but something to think about for higher levels and to give you a better look.

0pMRyZ1.jpg?1  FOC51VC.jpg?1

Reference images

8fplRYI.jpg?1   X9L8Dcu.jpg?1

I realize that these items (and others mentioned) may seem like a pain, and just when you think you have it nailed along comes all these suggestions.  Trust me when I say it's happened to all of us!  (My first Basic submission was a disaster, lol).  However, you have mad build skills and we are here to help with any issues you want/need to tackle.  You are also welcome to PM me if you have any specific issue

Only a little disheartened! The shins are attached with the bra straps, so there are holes in the other side of the armor that I suppose will hopefully be covered when swapping the cover strip over. I'll need to remove the current straps and swap them over as well though.

I suppose the question I should really be asking is what's the best way to remove e600 glue?

Edited by MissingNo

E6000 will come off just by rubbing your thumb across with a little pressure, it for difficult bits use some compound polish and rag, normally takes care of it ;) 

Wow some of the feedback is great if you wish to go for Centurion lvl, so if you can take that on board and come out on top which I am positive you can then that’s awesome.
The calf is a must fix from basic some of the other suggestions are not, Ball is in your court but I’m hoping you go for the top. Good luck and hope to see you at Centurion in the near future.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

19 hours ago, MissingNo said:

Only a little disheartened! The shins are attached with the bra straps, so there are holes in the other side of the armor that I suppose will hopefully be covered when swapping the cover strip over. I'll need to remove the current straps and swap them over as well though.

I suppose the question I should really be asking is what's the best way to remove e600 glue?

As Q mentioned, E-6000 is pretty easy to remove as opposed to other bonding agents, which is one of the main reasons we use it!.  What I did was to use a razor knife and safety gloves (important).  Just carefully slice along the line, cutting through the glue a little at a time.  Try to angle the blade to where the tip isn't cutting into the calf itself, but rather the back of the cover strip.  Should take about 10 minutes or so.

If you want to remove the left shoulder bridge this will work as well.  Any remaining E-6000 can be removed by rubbing on it with your thumb.

I'm sure there are other methods, but that is the way I did it.  TAKE YOUR TIME, though.  If you have any problems, post up pics before moving ahead.

Here is a crude diagram (forgive the odd looking "razor knife", lol, but you get the idea).

JLK1oOX.jpg

Well, work was coming along well until I discovered a new problem. 

eyV5QJl.jpg

Looks like there was a bit of stress on that spot and it cracked. Of course I can't find the screw or the nut--does anyone know what the sizes are used for the bracket system? I can't remember, and I'll have to pick up more.

Other than that, the calf is just about ready and I've shaped up a bit of the paint... Was getting ready to try it on for more pictures again tomorrow. 

They can quite easily crack, some leave the brackets minus the elastic and use a separate strapping system so there isn't as much strain on the areas.

I would advise gluing a piece of ABS behind, Tony has a nice thread for adding supports https://www.whitearmor.net/forum/topic/36372-how-to-support-pads-for-mr-nostripes-bracket-system/

I believe a lot of people use M3 sized screws.

Thanks, going to try making some paste today and repairing it. Gotta see if I can find any of those screws too.

I know the original reason I didn't use the support system was that the length on the screws I got with the bracket kit were too dang small they never would have fit through the armor plastic and the support plastic. I'll have to see if I can find some longer ones.

If you are deciding to keep the bracket system I would encourage using the supports with them, they will continue to crack over time.

Here is the next set of pictures. I've made a lot of improvements. I would love to go forward with these for at least the basic level of approval, hopefully its at least at that level now!

Some of the things I fixed are:

Tube Stripes moved up.

Chestpiece adjusted to sit better on ab

Ab buttons reduced in size

Strapping system for shoulder bells -> biceps -> forearms.

Improved strapping on the handguards.

Adjusted cushioning in helmet

Changed the calf opening side.

https://imgur.com/a/yVAMt9q

Edited by MissingNo

UV9TBAx.jpg

Nice work, as Jay suggested your thighs should come up a bit, will give you some more room around the knees. If you haven't already you could add some foam behind the sniper plate to hold it away from your thigh.

Brow trim is a little wonky.

Belt could come up a bit but ok for basic approval.

You have come such a long way in such a short time, great work.

Good luck with approval, hope you get your numbers soon. 

Thanks! Yeah, I'm not sure what was going on with the brow trim in that picture. It's not glued down yet, so I can still play with it. 

Thighs are a definite must as I go along. Those return edges hurt, man. I'm glad things are coming along, though. Thanks for all the help thus far.

• Like 1