MP40 pouches

TK Cowboy

So I'm thinking about adding HWT to my builds. And I was reading the new CRL it says leather or leather like material.  Does that mean that the canvas pouches are no longer allowed for new submissions since before it actually said canvas on the CRL. 

Great to hear that you are considering going HWT, Eriberto!  Yes, the CRLs changed a few years ago.  The MP40 pouches must be "Leather or leather-like" and can no longer be of the canvas type.

Good news/bad news, though...  They are available online, but they aren't cheap.  Also, you have to order a set, so you are stuck with one extra.  (You should be able to sell it pretty quickly either on here or the MEPD site, though).

These are about the least expensive sets I've found:

eBay

If I can be of any help, just let me know via PM!

Edited by gmrhodes13
link not working removed
  • Like 1

Hey Eriberto!

Hit me up if you have any HWT questions! I'm also SCG and helped put together Fire Team Heavy Hitters, the SoCal HWT Fire Team - we'd love to have you join!  The pouches Joseph linked are the ones I used and was approved with, and I agree, are about as cheap as they come. Some guys use the more "Sandy" style pouches, but they're usually more expensive and in my opinion, don't look as good. I definitely recommend Sharpie-ing out the white stitching once you receive these (or I used a black paint pen), and using foam or some balsa wood to make "fake magazines" to give the pouches some shape, while keeping the weight down. I can send you pics of mine if it'll help.

Good luck on your build and we hope to see you as a Heavy Hitter soon!

• Like 1

You can build your own if you have decent skills and time to do it, and there are some great build threads to check out.  The main one I used was Tony's @ukswrath but used a few ideas from my buddy Charles' @Templar726 build as well.  Just be sure that you don't add the antenna, as it is no longer acceptable even at basic level.  As stated in the CRL http://databank.501st.com/databank/Costuming:TK_hwt, it cannot contain any extra "greeblies" (lights, video monitors, etc.).

Tony's thread:  https://www.whitearmor.net/forum/topic/30034-hwt-backpack-build-part-1/

Charles' thread:  https://www.whitearmor.net/forum/topic/30222-templars-hwt-pack-build/

If you don't want to build your own, Shawn (@Crookknight) makes some incredible packs, which are 100% approvable at all levels.  https://crookknight.com/home

On 7/14/2019 at 3:44 AM, justjoseph63 said:

You can build your own if you have decent skills and time to do it, and there are some great build threads to check out.  The main one I used was Tony's @ukswrath but used a few ideas from my buddy Charles' @Templar726 build as well.  Just be sure that you don't add the antenna, as it is no longer acceptable even at basic level.  As stated in the CRL http://databank.501st.com/databank/Costuming:TK_hwt, it cannot contain any extra "greeblies" (lights, video monitors, etc.).

Tony's thread:  https://www.whitearmor.net/forum/topic/30034-hwt-backpack-build-part-1/

Charles' thread:  https://www.whitearmor.net/forum/topic/30222-templars-hwt-pack-build/

If you don't want to build your own, Shawn (@Crookknight) makes some incredible packs, which are 100% approvable at all levels.  https://crookknight.com/home

I absolutely second this. I went the hybrid route and built my own, but had Sean/Crooknight make a couple of my parts - he 3D-printed my funnel and pulled two of my boxes out of ABS - they look way better than most homebuilt, probably. @kman has a gorgeous pack and would be a great resource as well!

• Like 1

8 hours ago, G578 said:

That sounds like a great idea because I probably couldn't get some parts to look good and being a weirdo like I am I know I wouldn't be happy with it. 

If I could suggest one thing, it would be to give both your pack and armor some light "weathering" for HWT.  Although not a requirement for Basic approval, it is for level 2 and above.  It's just my opinion, but when I see a HWT with no weathering it looks like they just stepped off a transport ship for the first time with no battle experience, lol.

There are quite a few products that can be applied to your armor which can be cleaned off if you want to go regular shiny-white TK.  Just remember any weathering should be black, not tan/brown etc. like a Sandie.

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

I used the Popit! food storage containers I found on Amazon  (about 20 bucks).  The set has all the sizes you will need, but you will have few left over to use at home.

FrZJwwt.jpg?1

Just be sure to trim off ALL the raised edges from them.  Heavy duty plastic "For Sale" signs are used to close in the backs.  If you have any questions, just ask here or feel free to PM me!

7 hours ago, G578 said:

Has anyone ever found another set of storage containers that had the right size?

I haven't, but I haven't looked. I made a few of my own from the PopIt! containers and had Sean pull the rest of mine out of ABS. Very pleased with them and they're the right size and shape obviously! Another great option.

I went off this thread website --------------there are examples of different version on this page------------

I also packed mine with high density foam

Edited by gmrhodes13
link removed no longer working

16 hours ago, G578 said:

I am referring to the size of the boxes for the pack. 

wzAlxNR.jpg?1bTBnuwK.jpg?1BAtg9hV.jpg?1

zH3tqeA.jpg?1

Boom. Just no antenna anymore. Sourced from @justjoseph63 in this thread.

I've seen a fair amount of variation approved, but we should strive to standardize and I believe those sizes look best. Hope that helps!

Also, both because they were cheaper and because I specifically DIDN'T want to look like I had Sandy pouches, I went with the ones from Joseph's first post. Dealer's choice.

Edited by TheRascalKing
  • Like 1

18 hours ago, G578 said:

And I was able to find some pleather pouches that pretty much look like the ones from the post. 

Cool!  As long as they look like leather you are good to go.  Can you provide a link to the source?  This could help those who are looking for them.   Thanks!

• Like 1

One thing I would suggest is to fill the pouches with something lightweight like foam board to "fill them out".  Otherwise they look sorta' flat.  You can even use an old Styrofoam cooler... just use a razor knife to cut it into strips that fill the pouches and them wrap each strip in black electrical tape.

High density foam worked for me and easy to cut, any type of foam, polystyrene would be ok, I've see a few guys make cardboard sleeves which also work. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, gmrhodes13 said:

High density foam worked for me and easy to cut, any type of foam, polystyrene would be ok, I've see a few guys make cardboard sleeves which also work. 

I just wrapped my styrofoam ones in electrical tape to keep em from crumbling and they've been great. Seen guys with balsa wood painted black too.

• Like 2

If you buy the real leather replica MP40 magazine pouches from Blaster8266 on MEPD, they come with black lightweight wood inserts already.  They're a little more expensive, but I like that I can use them when I go Sandy someday, and already be at the highest accuracy level.

20161116092809-ae034c6a-me.jpg

• Like 1