ChrisThePropGuy TK

So I jerry rigged it together. For 2 days work in between uni home work I gotta say I'm very proud. I still need to adjust and add a few things but I think it's getting there. I'll probs lay shift over to a regular build thread too as it doesn't seem many people check the foundry in comparison. 78d558e7ea1e3b1dfce42aaabcf58025.jpg

Sent from my SM-G991B using Tapatalk

• Like 4

• 3 months later...

Hey guys,

So last month I got a message from a buddy of mine with a great opportunity. He informed me that a local maker was selling their lineage TK moulds. Sounded too good to be true. After doing a little research I was able to the best of my ability validate the claim and trace its origins.

After some back and forth we landed on a deal for em, and they finally came in today! I didn’t want to mention anything earlier as I didn’t want to jinx anything but they’re here and I managed to pull a set. 

Now I thought Id make a post now before I start making and showing off anything, I know someone is going to accuse me of recasting. I understand that is the price of admission when you get something like this (especially this late in the game) as lots of these replicas look almost identical. Those of you who know me understand my stance on recasting, I never have nor ever will recast unless given explicit permission. I don’t need to go into the semantics of it because I’m sure were all in agreeance here on our stance with recasting. I also would not be stupid enough to jeopardise all the hard work I’ve put into ACTUALY designing all my work from scratch.

To give some more info, ANON was kind enough to make a deal with me to purchase these moulds.

Evidence can be found here: https://www.facebook.com/Anonstormtrooper/posts/pfbid02TvKnxpX93mPujNVj6273aVRngJTxKjfhMWhnakfmjmaVVisF1FThebgLeKXFLvmEl

I have compared it to an existing faceplate I was given a while back (TE most likely) and it was very close, frankly I was worried that I had purchased something that was a straight recast but upon further inspection I was able to find some tells on this mould that were not apparent on the cast I had.

Some of these included different eye profiles, different height measurements for the mouth, the area next to the teeth being much deeper (I was told most makers fill this area in as ABS catches here and you are unable to demould it otherwise, my measurements are the same as the SFS helmet), different nose width and a different silhouette. The back cap was also much sharper like the Dave M as opposed to the Brian R/Gino pulls. There were a few other minor differences, some areas showed different forms going by how the light was reflected, this gave me an indication of how it was shaped/sanded and there were a few spots that were very different. They’re difficult to explain and don’t show up well on camera but I’ll do my best to go more in depth should someone have concerns. Most importantly, I tried to shove the other cast onto my mould, and it would not go on indicating some major forms were in fact different. The cast was also very weak and not a tight pull so should have gone on quite easy in theory should it have been the same.

I do my best to avoid fuss but I am sure someone will want to try and call me out at some point so I thought I’d do the right thing and be transparent and add this to my discussion, so I have evidence as I go along and learn more. With all the recent recasting drama that’s been going around as of late I do my best to avoid it. Those who have known me know I’m a zero BS kind of guy and say it how it is.

I didn’t want to gum up my thread with pics and measurements, but I do want to say this, 

If anyone should an issue or concerns with these new helmets, I do implore you to reach out and we can discuss and compare.

I don't particularly wish to show pictures of the mould publicly on this thread, there are a few tells on it Id like to keep secret that I didnt know about prior to seeing these in person. However should the need arise I will be happy to show them in DM's. If theres something Ive missed with these, please feel free to point it out!

I will be getting some PP soon in the correct khaki colour to make these pretty much bang on like the OG's. In the mean time I will be trying to get some ABS puls to work, these undercuts are proving to be very tedious and I can see why the hero mould was modified! This was pulled in 2mm ABS and it did come up quite sharp but the ears are severely lacking at the moment, I will try in some 1.5 and see how I go.

xwJCZ4g.jpg

• Like 8

hace 15 horas, ChrisThePropGuy dijo:

Hey guys,

So last month I got a message from a buddy of mine with a great opportunity. He informed me that a local maker was selling their lineage TK moulds. Sounded too good to be true. After doing a little research I was able to the best of my ability validate the claim and trace its origins.

After some back and forth we landed on a deal for em, and they finally came in today! I didn’t want to mention anything earlier as I didn’t want to jinx anything but they’re here and I managed to pull a set. 

Now I thought Id make a post now before I start making and showing off anything, I know someone is going to accuse me of recasting. I understand that is the price of admission when you get something like this (especially this late in the game) as lots of these replicas look almost identical. Those of you who know me understand my stance on recasting, I never have nor ever will recast unless given explicit permission. I don’t need to go into the semantics of it because I’m sure were all in agreeance here on our stance with recasting. I also would not be stupid enough to jeopardise all the hard work I’ve put into ACTUALY designing all my work from scratch.

To give some more info, ANON was kind enough to make a deal with me to purchase these moulds.

Evidence can be found here: https://www.facebook.com/Anonstormtrooper/posts/pfbid02TvKnxpX93mPujNVj6273aVRngJTxKjfhMWhnakfmjmaVVisF1FThebgLeKXFLvmEl

I have compared it to an existing faceplate I was given a while back (TE most likely) and it was very close, frankly I was worried that I had purchased something that was a straight recast but upon further inspection I was able to find some tells on this mould that were not apparent on the cast I had.

Some of these included different eye profiles, different height measurements for the mouth, the area next to the teeth being much deeper (I was told most makers fill this area in as ABS catches here and you are unable to demould it otherwise, my measurements are the same as the SFS helmet), different nose width and a different silhouette. The back cap was also much sharper like the Dave M as opposed to the Brian R/Gino pulls. There were a few other minor differences, some areas showed different forms going by how the light was reflected, this gave me an indication of how it was shaped/sanded and there were a few spots that were very different. They’re difficult to explain and don’t show up well on camera but I’ll do my best to go more in depth should someone have concerns. Most importantly, I tried to shove the other cast onto my mould, and it would not go on indicating some major forms were in fact different. The cast was also very weak and not a tight pull so should have gone on quite easy in theory should it have been the same.

I do my best to avoid fuss but I am sure someone will want to try and call me out at some point so I thought I’d do the right thing and be transparent and add this to my discussion, so I have evidence as I go along and learn more. With all the recent recasting drama that’s been going around as of late I do my best to avoid it. Those who have known me know I’m a zero BS kind of guy and say it how it is.

I didn’t want to gum up my thread with pics and measurements, but I do want to say this, 

If anyone should an issue or concerns with these new helmets, I do implore you to reach out and we can discuss and compare.

I don't particularly wish to show pictures of the mould publicly on this thread, there are a few tells on it Id like to keep secret that I didnt know about prior to seeing these in person. However should the need arise I will be happy to show them in DM's. If theres something Ive missed with these, please feel free to point it out!

I will be getting some PP soon in the correct khaki colour to make these pretty much bang on like the OG's. In the mean time I will be trying to get some ABS puls to work, these undercuts are proving to be very tedious and I can see why the hero mould was modified! This was pulled in 2mm ABS and it did come up quite sharp but the ears are severely lacking at the moment, I will try in some 1.5 and see how I go.

xwJCZ4g.jpg

Does means that you give up with your 3D project?

11 hours ago, wook1138 said:

Very nice!  The forehead bump and chin chip really show well.

Was very suprised to see how well even the lines showed up! No doubt the thinner 1.5 will show imaculate details.

10 hours ago, TheSwede said:

Ah come on! Give us the PP kits already :smiley-sw013:

I will! Just need to learn how to form it first as PP is very different to ABS and getting the texture right is very difficult.

• Like 3

Prepare to pog boys, @CableGuy would be proud of my oxide and diamond white paint up haha.

I was lucky to get a free sheet of PP as a sample and lemme say, I know why they used this for stunts.

It pulls nice and comes off the mould nicer! And the trimming, dont get me started, it cuts like butter with a knife, no sanding required. Im working on the texture as there is a top secret recipe for it but didnt want to mess up my only 2 pulls I could do today. As you can see tho they came out crisp and noice. Its 1.5mm too!

Those of you who want a PP kit message me on here or FB and I will put together a special secret run for you guys shortly. The correct colour will be in soon ish if you wanna wait but the black pp ones wil be cheaper.

wuHXXFI.jpg

kUQlCN9.jpg

MPZiE31.jpg

spQ33jq.jpg

Getting a pack of 20 sheets tomorrow I think, gonna try whip up a few for comic con this weekend so time is against me but will see how we go! Also need to pull the ears in 1.5mm ABS tomorrow too. And yes I know the ears were on when it was painted originally lol.

• Like 5

OK change my mind I hate pp, turns out I just got reeeeaaaaaallllyyyy lucky yesterday and 90% of my pulls today were fails. I managed to get 2 half decent helmets, albeit a little thin in areas. Might consider going to 2mm pp and trying that, hopefully that's not too sinful lol. Maybe an error on my part to try sell pps to the general public at a convention this weekend as I'm certain every casual storm trooper enjoyed will be like, why does it look like crap??? Haha we will see how it goes. At least the ears kinda came up OK???. 4e6f58d0bbfb52b8e177a3b62c23b630.jpg

Sent from my SM-G991B using Tapatalk

• Like 3

On 12/7/2022 at 7:41 AM, ChrisThePropGuy said:

OK change my mind I hate pp, turns out I just got reeeeaaaaaallllyyyy lucky yesterday and 90% of my pulls today were fails. I managed to get 2 half decent helmets, albeit a little thin in areas.

Sorry to hear that, Chris! But keep up the good work! Heck if you need somewhere to dump your bad helmet pulls I'll take them off your hands so I can practice trimming and painting and such. lol.

On 12/9/2022 at 5:39 AM, MaskedVengeance said:

Sorry to hear that, Chris! But keep up the good work! Heck if you need somewhere to dump your bad helmet pulls I'll take them off your hands so I can practice trimming and painting and such. lol.

I might take you up on that, think I got like 5 dud faceplates atm.

I managed to get em all finished for comic con, unfortunately noone was interested in purchasing bumpy tks there however more luck for those who might actually want em haha. Super pleased with how they came out! Will take some nicer photos but these were from Friday:

L->R

ABS 2mm ANH Stunt

PP ANH Stunt

PP Sand Trooper

PP ESB

bZ0z7xJ.jpg

nI1N5VR.jpg

Critiques welcome, I didnt base these off any specific characters and most of the assembly and painting was done from memory, so wasnt expecting them to be perfect however I think theyre pretty good for a "generalised" build.

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, justjoseph63 said:

Prices?  :D

20 bajillion dollars.

Lol I gotta price everything up still, not sure If Im allowed to spruke wares on threads here outside of the for sale section as per rules on the other detachment forums I frequent.

I will be reporting back with some nicer pics very shortly and hopefully some links with where to buy ect..

• Like 1

As promised better pics, you guys are the first to see.

As you can see the details really speak for themselves! These ones are prototypes as I’m still learning how to use the material and these paints, so they aren’t 100%. It’s very delicate and precise work. These ones are for sale minus the ABS version as that is serial #1. If you are interested in picking up one of these first edition PP's shoot me a PM on here or FB.

These won’t go into production till next year however the line-up we will be offering will be as follows:

Black/Khaki PP Kits

PP Finished Helmets (any variation you like)

ABS 1.5mm Helmets

ABS 2mm Helmets

Full kit with PP Helmet

Full kit with ABS Helmet

Lots to choose from! Excited to make some more of these and continue to offer Anons great work.

GnPXfk7.jpg

ANH PP Stunt

qIY25BP.jpg

U92ws3i.jpg

ANH ABS Stunt

r4QraWV.jpg

xAesnQB.jpg

ANH PP HWT/ST

dyx7PZe.jpg

vvJYehL.jpg

ESB PP Stunt

4M8eG91.jpg

DdOeCkX.jpg

• Like 3

On 12/12/2022 at 3:54 PM, ChrisThePropGuy said:

As promised better pics, you guys are the first to see.

As you can see the details really speak for themselves! These ones are prototypes as I’m still learning how to use the material and these paints, so they aren’t 100%. It’s very delicate and precise work. These ones are for sale minus the ABS version as that is serial #1. If you are interested in picking up one of these first edition PP's shoot me a PM on here or FB.

These won’t go into production till next year however the line-up we will be offering will be as follows:

Black/Khaki PP Kits

PP Finished Helmets (any variation you like)

ABS 1.5mm Helmets

ABS 2mm Helmets

Full kit with PP Helmet

Full kit with ABS Helmet

Lots to choose from! Excited to make some more of these and continue to offer Anons great work.

GnPXfk7.jpg

ANH PP Stunt

qIY25BP.jpg

U92ws3i.jpg

ANH ABS Stunt

r4QraWV.jpg

xAesnQB.jpg

ANH PP HWT/ST

dyx7PZe.jpg

vvJYehL.jpg

ESB PP Stunt

4M8eG91.jpg