ChrisThePropGuy TK

Chris, very nice to see some more progress!   When do you think you’ll go into production?

as was mentioned in a msg many months ago, i’m looking to upgrade my TX.  I’m interested in an ANH TK in resin or fiberglass/resin combo, one piece if that’s doable. If not, i’ll take separate pieces (ears, front/back sides).   Just don’t want it in ABS material.

much appreciated!  Hope you’re doin’ ok down under!
Hey mate, not doing too bad. I may be able to make fibreglass parts from the pulled parts b yu t I expect the cost to be more than a regular kit. I'll let you know if it's possible

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

• 2 weeks later...

So dad being the absolute legend he is helped me sand the bucks smooth among some other stuff today. Decided to pull some stuff including new ear moulds and decided it was good enough for a mock up. For a couple hours of work I'm pretty happy with it, some of the hardware isn't accurate and the mould needs some details fixed but definitely not too bad. 6cd0edd40c8218df757cf05430ee4dd6.jpgc290ffc07676ef969237164b4b951855.jpg7b10c4bc4535d94de6d349ea1e7a6b3d.jpg349c9e519b14a27e7addb5b67b5f4d2a.jpg4a5dcca08c4fbfe5d833ffbea2bccb4a.jpg61d8e1d30e35bce03e0be2207a617aa0.jpgf16f3116722f6d2c859db61786ee601f.jpg

• Like 2

• 2 months later...

Just an FYI, the image Chris has shared is the composite view, every part is broken down into the correct pieces so you can print and assemble the same as you would a vac formed kit.

Chris has printed and pulled the helmet as can be seen in the images a few posts above so we have a better idea of how it can look in ABS.

Just an FYI, the image Chris has shared is the composite view, every part is broken down into the correct pieces so you can print and assemble the same as you would a vac formed kit.
Chris has printed and pulled the helmet as can be seen in the images a few posts above so we have a better idea of how it can look in ABS.
The helmet has been updated to be more accurate, the eyes and frown were a bit off so went back and fixed them. Also added the asymmetries.

• Like 1

• 5 weeks later...

Super blessed to have these guys as my friends. They answered the call to give me a hand with some of the ANH TK moulds. Big thanks to Dylan, Geoff, Brent, Mitch and Aneesh for helping out today. What I thought would take a few weeks took only a day! We got most of the moulds plastered, still need to do the thighs and the belt moulds but we'll on the way to getting it done soon. 6f05a576c2558defa9f3d6c580987e8c.jpg8d0141a28656f6d3a77ef96a3ebdc44d.jpge0103d1118f405f6c69e643018b190b1.jpge8c76bdf9480b10c2a26ecaacbc02069.jpgfee2fffde66ffb0bff802e587d5f672d.jpg

• Like 1

I've been made aware that some of these parts were not what they were said to be and I have subsequently been accused of recasting. I was unaware of this and now that it has been bought to my attention I will not be progressing with these parts and instead redoing them. I do not wish to make this issue any complicated as I've done my best to avoid issues like this so I would like the time to apologise for this matter. If any one would like to discuss further don't hesitate to reach out.

• Like 1

Great decision Chris, a clean move forward and something you can be proud of to call your own work

Good on you Chris, keep working on those 3D files too, I'm looking forward to seeing some prints of those and am happy to work with you on improving them as much as possible.

• 5 months later...

Ive decided to start over basically, wasnt 100% happy with the first set. I redid the helmet and I must say I think its almost bang on. All the asymetries are there and it is proportionate to the original stunt parts. Keen to hear your thoughts. This set was made for straight printing but Ill be converting them to moulds again soon.

untitled.45.jpg

untitled.53.jpg

untitled.50.jpg

Hey Chris,

Looks like a good step up on the previous version. More organic, for sure.

Main things for me would be as below;

Frown height and shape of the teeth/size of the cutouts don’t look right to my eyes. Also, the furthest edges seem to droop down.

952ebb20aa59854fa3eb1edb4656e35b.jpg

Traps and tears;
861537c9477ebb0003abed7c65570de4.jpg

As below, the traps and tears look quite “squared”. These could be softer curves for more ANH appearance.

Brow line on ANH usually raises up a touch. If you have pictures of your design from side on, I’ll highlight it.

Ears are also quite “squared” compared with original trilogy.

12f16f1a5154e9b37a439a2c5da620c4.png

Hope that helps. Nice progress from version one. Looking much more OT and less R1.

• Like 1

Hey Chris,

Looks like a good step up on the previous version. More organic, for sure.

Main things for me would be as below;

Frown height and shape of the teeth/size of the cutouts don’t look right to my eyes. Also, the furthest edges seem to droop down.

952ebb20aa59854fa3eb1edb4656e35b.jpg

Traps and tears;
861537c9477ebb0003abed7c65570de4.jpg

As below, the traps and tears look quite “squared”. These could be softer curves for more ANH appearance.

Brow line on ANH usually raises up a touch. If you have pictures of your design from side on, I’ll highlight it.

Ears are also quite “squared” compared with original trilogy.

12f16f1a5154e9b37a439a2c5da620c4.png

Hope that helps. Nice progress from version one. Looking much more OT and less R1.
Thanks mate, really appreciate the in depth review. No idea how I missed that trap swoop tbh. I've filled in the grey on the teeth heaps so that's probably why it looks fuller, I could pribably drop it a Mil or 2 to even it out.
The brow rubber is just a place holder part, I made these with the intention for there to be a proper strip there. I actually watched your video on anh helmets last night. Decided to leave the brow up to the makers preference but keen to see some more pics to make it better. 1a3bd8a49840cc67b448f67e9f1939fb.jpge324f68b71fd0764e1f6ce86a71ae19c.jpg8a91e587eafc113a2b68c76e8eec90f4.jpg

Just a quick overlay and although the two helmets aren't completely spot on it does appear the teeth are a little wide in height. Vocoder is a little off too if you compare the top width and also the second steps, they are a little low. 

overlay.thumb.png.f196c7cdae249a5e896cad17af491024.png

But I must applaud you for giving this project another bash :duim:

• Like 2

Hi Chris,

Had some time to do some side by sides. Here’s my feedback. :-)

Basis side by side;
279e185338cc1c0a80be3020958fd662.jpg

Brow line;
Whilst the rubber trim plays a small part here, the actual “cap” has a slight rise when it passes the ear cap. The line runs from the back to the front, then takes a slight upward angle beyond the ear.

Also, from your left side image, the line from the rear of the helmet doesn’t carry on to the brow - it seems to be offset.
16848a6ab886de02db6fa6e0d196ddc1.png

Ear caps:
They appear to be quite a bit thicker than the originals.
The grey rectangular part on the left ear appears to be at the wrong angle. (See bottom right image). Also note the screws/ear caps usually line up with the rear line of the trap.

5e33f78bd3276b3475fc4beb6e7f3717.png

It looks like the rear “tube” is not quite as curved as the originals. Note the flow of the original tubes from front to back.
a9fa5bbd8e33e64cfdb4f4dfb51ba90a.png

The below difference might be purely down to the ear thickness and alignment.
b4518fba9e1714d9598a838180748c49.png

Hope that helps. :-)

• Like 2

I was gonna leave this for a few days but a nasty comment on FB huwt my feewings really motivated me to get it done now haha.

Ok so here are the new changes:

- Teeth Fixed, first and foremost I concede I was wrong here, didnt check ym reference properly, I think it fits much better.

- Brow raised at the front (The brow in the file was only a place holder for real rubber however Ive gone and tweaked it anyway.

- Tears curved

- Front Traps rounded, left one angled forward at the top

- Fixed tube flow and curve

- Nose bump widened and offset left more

- Ears rotated, this fixed the spacing issue on front tubes

- Made ears thinner, only did this by a small amount, the renders made them look way wider then they actually were

- Left Ear curve fixed

- Ear bars softened at base

- Made left eye perimeter slightly narrower

- Fixed right brow flow, this one occured due to a verex that was moved on accident

No fancy renders this time around, took me a couple hours to UV unfold, texture ect. plain ones will have to do for now.untitled_68.thumb.jpg.7152bb029f7e4d32b2d248ecba4f33d5.jpguntitled_67.thumb.jpg.0a73b8f62f41e818cf3399c3c91c3751.jpg

Hopefully this fixed it up. Also did a hero face for my TIE which Ive been told is basically spot on, very proud.

If anyone wants the files to take a closer look Im happy to send em.

untitled.72.jpg

untitled.73.jpg

Super stuff, Chris. That slight angle on the brow makes a big difference (to my eyes).

The only other thing that, to me, is still not right is the frown/teeth. To my eyes, the holes are too big and there is not enough depth to the cutouts. (Also, don’t forget that the 5th hole either side was very rarely cut out on screen. Only up to 4 holes per side).

Apologies for the poor quality of the below, but, hopefully it illustrates my thoughts.

Blue line shows roughly where the holes should stop. Notice on the reference photos that the helmet has depth beyond the teeth.

0e018511a7a63d9a1f6537e800c603f0.png

Here is a very crude mock up of how the teeth could be bigger in places making the holes smaller.
c24f868661fb347eaa92e5d4d3ca4db0.png

Yeah I'm seeing what you mean, I can drop the teeth back maybe another Mil as there's already a distance there. Maybe the chamfer is making it look a lot smaller too, will play around with that. Yeah I agree, the brow does make a big difference! I forgot to add the shell modifier so thats why the teeth look so thin, it's currently got 0 thickness. Will post up some pics tomorrow. Sleep time I thinks.

• Like 3

• 3 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Well in true Rotj style I managed to crush the dome and face moulds however I managed to salvage it. The ears are chefs kiss good. Very happy with them. The face you can see the V2 on the left and V1 on the right. It was a weak pull as I had to stop the vac early due to the face crushing but it's not too bad. Very very happy with the vocoder and how that looks. Needs a few tweaks to sharpen it up. Dome I cannot for the life of me pull off the mould without completely destroying it due to undercuts so if anyone has any ideas I'm all ears. dc7cd6a92ab761c8f17fb0971f326be5.jpg779709fc91222a6b503356b839f8dde3.jpg

• Like 2