Hard Hat Liner or Foam Helmet Liner

2 hours ago, han_solo1 said:

Hello fellow stormtrooper.  Can anyone tell me the pro and cons using hard hat liner or foam helmet liner?

I’m guessing that you make it as your fitting it as you go . I’ll be doing foam to fit better. Maybe a Chen strap.  just need to fit and see how it goes. Play with it . I’ll tell ya I’ve worked with a helmet on and ya don’t want it to be moving side to side y’all will look goofy. Good luck 

• Like 1

Pros and Cons

A. Hard hat liner Pros

1. Custom fit (adjustable)

2. Uses little space inside helmet

3. Good air flow

4. Ease of use and install (especially if you buy it ready to install)

Liner Cons

1. Pressure points

B. Foam Pads (tactical style) Pros

1. Custom fit

2. Easy to install

3. Comfortable

Pads Cons

1. Requires more space than liner

2. Reduced air flow

3. Lack of adjustment 

C. Foam Pad (non tactical, Movie accurate style) Pros

1. Easy to install

2. Comfortable

3. Screen accurate

Cons

1. Lack of ventilation

2. Lack of adjustment

• Like 2

I think it’s gonna be a matter of what you prefer the feel of. I tried both and like the hard hat liner by far better. Some people swear by foam inserts of some sort. Find people with both and give it a try

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 1

I used one once, I did find it digs in after a while, swapped out to a thin piece of foam at the top and a couple of thicker pieces of foam at the sides of the head, much more comfortable and they can be removed and washed having Velcro on them. 

• Like 1

• 4 months later...

Have any of you Troopers used the hard hat liner available on Trooperbay (linked below)? And also have chin strap recommendations? I’m trying to decide on either tactical pads with a chin strap, or just a hard hat liner for my first TK build.

https://trooperbay.com/hard-hat-liner-for-helmets

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Personally I tried a chin strap but found it uncomfortable, I ended up going for a thin piece of foam on top and a couple of blocks of foam which sit either side of the head, stops helmet bobbling. I have these on Velcro so I can take out and wash.

On 7/3/2019 at 11:07 PM, han_solo1 said:

Thanks for the input fellow TKs.  I am construction worker by trade wearing hard hat for 99% of the day is normal for me.  Where can I find Foam Pads (tactical style?

Maybe use EVA foam. What they use for floor mats. Get some from harbor freight.

8 minutes ago, Von Goodleef said:

Maybe use EVA foam. What they use for floor mats. Get some from harbor freight.

You want to use a light foam that is able to be squashed a little, eva foam would be too hard in my opinion 

46 minutes ago, gmrhodes13 said:

You want to use a light foam that is able to be squashed a little, eva foam would be too hard in my opinion 

You are correct. I just ordered my TK armor kit today. This thread is helping me to decide which way to go for my bucket build. I appreciate it my friends.

• Like 1