STRMTRPR85 Kids FOTK 3D Printed

StrmTRPR85

Hi All,

Wanted to capture this build I am doing for my 5 year old that is a 3D printed FOTK.

Now I have reviewed the 3D printed files and they are not 501st approvable without some modifications but the aim here is the kiddo wants to be a stormtrooper and the files are good enough that it will meet that goal and still look really good.

The file is from CG trader

https://www.cgtrader.com/3d-print-models/hobby-diy/other/stormtrooper-armor-first-order-from-star-wars

I purchased it for about $30 as it was a good base to build for him and my 3D modeling skills are still far from being anything respectable.

For my printer I have a Tronxy X5S that has been modified to linear rails in the X and Y axis.  Heat Bed at 24 volts and a duet 2 wifi board.

Most of the parts I am currently printing in Inland White PLA 1.75mm using a 0.6mm Nozzle and a 0.15mm layer height.

I am also using Armorsmith program to get the scale correct to the kiddos frame.

In Armorsmith, you get an avatar and with body measurements you can adjust the avatar to a decent model of your body.  This greatly takes a lot of guess work out of scaling a print to size.  

Below you can see the forearms and biceps have been completed in the print.

tBzJ-3vTcQxyKGz6KrmVbWSaFcCBbRIeq-zyJ6AW

FVmDvYoyMrtY5003t5vjtqhraftDHBylqUWSV6q9FzXEx8vVwSJgeu1ty8uY48eVmB2OHrXAifBI07Lh

I'll update more as the build and print come along.  Currently printing out the shoulders now.

• Like 1

Nice work Jeff, your boy must be so excited.

We have a 3D section on the forums where you can also share this info if you desire.

https://www.whitearmor.net/forum/forum/201-3d-parts-and-technical/

Edited by Sly11
  • Like 1

18 minutes ago, Sly11 said:

Nice work Jeff, your boy must be so excited.

We have a 3D section on the forums where you can also share this info if you desire.

https://www.whitearmor.net/forum/forum/201-3d-parts-and-technical/

Hes excited for now, we will find out in a few months what his attitude is once we get him suited up lol

Since it was more a build I wasn't sure if the 3D section was a good spot to capture that piece.  And since I purchased the files I did not want to post the files for sharing (plus they are not quite 501st approvable so I did not want that to be confused with anyone.)  Thought I could document the build and show what goes into finishing the 3D printed parts here.

1 hour ago, Frank75139 said:

Awesome start. I can’t show my kid he’ll want me to buy a printer.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Oh the printer is more for me, and him getting a FOTK costume is more practice for me before I start doing my own.  I want to tackle the Sean Fields Shoretrooper for myself and possible Inferno chest and back armor as I already got the bucket.

Plus the printer is sooo cool! 

7 minutes ago, StrmTRPR85 said:

Hes excited for now, we will find out in a few months what his attitude is once we get him suited up lol

Since it was more a build I wasn't sure if the 3D section was a good spot to capture that piece.  And since I purchased the files I did not want to post the files for sharing (plus they are not quite 501st approvable so I did not want that to be confused with anyone.)  Thought I could document the build and show what goes into finishing the 3D printed parts here.

All good, I meant perhaps just some photos of the parts and when done a finished product image :)

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Sly11 said:

All good, I meant perhaps just some photos of the parts and when done a finished product image :)

Oh for sure!  That way it can be a visual reference of the 3D files then and show what is inaccurate for it for 501st approval

Edited by StrmTRPR85
  • Like 1

The fun part of the print so far has been the chest.  The file came with the back yoke and the chest all in one piece

bISsf5jgzkcDBAlFbDjarE6ymCGz1uGXlxw5d46S

No easy way someone could probably put that on without causing something to break or let alone get stuck.

To fix this I downloaded meshmixer (free software) and proceeded to remove the portions that are not needed.

HZ4-TGg_MhxUVb8vgHgFlC-PW25UONIJ_hp8LL_3

I still have to smooth out a few portions where the "cuts" where made.  Digital cuts are so much easier that real cuts :) It was a great crash course in learning how to use Meshmixer.

Quick question does anyones FOTK kits have those green tabs/indents on the left and right side near the back?  I'm thinking of filling these in for when I make the files 501st approvable.

• 2 months later...

its been a minute since I have been able to work on this, with moving homes recently and unpacking and getting a proper workshop back up.  Glad to announce finally got the chest pieces figured out and have begun printing

RZR39crdhAr_rriFw4LvwMLUwFUVmCuv1X4Z6kVj

I did have to cut the parts to fit the build surface of the printer but this will save time on the print as well as printer material.

• Like 1