Rogue One TK build, 850Armorworks Kit

I got my kit today from 850 Armorworks. Ive built 3 Anovos ANH kits, so Ive got a wee bit of experience. Well, with all the new parts, and a CRL thats a little confusing, thought I would finally do a build thread. This way I can draw on experience here with people that have already completed or further along than I on the R1TK.

My bucket is already done. Gutted the interior, replaced the lenses, mesh in the front grill, cut out the tube stripes and backed them, filled both the battery hatch and speaker grill, and replaced the bottom trim all around with proper S Trim.

Looking over the CRL theres only two bits that are confusing.

1. The ab and kidney are a single piece with the angled seam. Since there is supposed to be no gap, is the black line painted on? Is it a strip of plastic layered over? Or black plastic that the two halves are joined to?

2. How is the belt attached to the armor?

Looking forward to getting this kit done and any help is greatly appreciated!

Sent from my SM-T597P using Tapatalk

Starting with cleaning up and smoothing out the resin parts. Casts were good only a few minor bubbles but nothing extreme. Just need to sand down the 3d print lines on the casts. Some of the chsnnels on the cover strips need a bit of cleaning up, but nothing a set of needle files will take care of. Going to hit the sander later to clean up the backs and get them even. e951ffa2ec92c7c1084ccbf0090755fd.jpg

Sent from my LG-Q710AL using Tapatalk

• Like 2

Got my resin parts outside of the coverstrips cleaned up. Decided to do some work on the thermal detonator cover. If you are getting an 850 kit, you have to cut out the center of the oval part or it will not sit flush. I cut it out, and Im going to cover the hole on the inside with a scrap peice of abs. I also sanded the top of the oval to flatten it, and filed some groves on the top and bottom so it looks a little more detailed like the R1 det. I also cut out the hole at the end of the buttons. ac37f85125cc5adcd414183ee44b5fa8.jpg

• Like 2

is the plastic durable from this kit durable, I've been wanting to do a R1 kit especially this kit mainly because of the price and i won't have to paint it so much but i'm worried about the durability of the armor mainly because i'm pretty clumsy   

The ABS is a good thickness, a bit thicker on some parts vs others. As for long term durability after the build. That remains to been seen. After doing a few Anovos ANH TKs Im using some build methods I used on them on this one too. That way I dont have a fear of parts popping off. I can say the way the R1 is constructed takes some strain off certain parts. I'll point out my thoughts as my build goes along.

• Like 1

So. The Ab/kindney is one peice it a split up the back center. So, I used the small center peice and attached snaps so it snaps to the inside of the kidney plate, and then stuck velcro to that, and then the trauma plate just attaches to that with velcro and covers all that up. 3dd9537fd50f43e764f8d1a7b51412ab.jpg976be2dd40acc022cbb50bb55a9e65e4.jpg00fa215af2c6bf02da3f7947498b9ff3.jpg66212dac75a3dd84fd3a1b00850cb127.jpg

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Nearly complete with the torso. Had to make my own side connect peices so it would sit and fit properly. These are connected to the inside of the chest and back via snaps, 3 snaps on the chest for each side, and 4 snaps on the back. I glued on my ab details and still need to paint the right side buttons. Also cut strips of abs and painted them gloss black, with a few layers of protective clearcoat. The butt plate and codplate are connected to snaps at the end of strips of black elastic. ec80190875d8dfe7cd66d4ee9a61cbf0.jpg1785bfb1ba09c56d4956614e0c06e7ec.jpg427c774707098f1522efe27bb84baf5a.jpg28e407d2a010dd3350ccccbcd6d5eb8c.jpg

• Like 4

Had to trim down the sides of the midsection so it doesn't show over the chest/back connectors. I didn't glue on my connecters in case I have to break down the armor for packing/repairs/etc. So my side connectors attach via snaps. Next is getting the shoulder area and bells finished. 6939113f992d554021f5be0a97343ea3.jpg457e27de77738455bd8648dd8a4bf019.jpgf2ad355c7185b3c6c0b3188a5cbfe282.jpg4a9d78545f3ec07fd12b10006d66fe2d.jpge5f63fe7f80a74caf4d918f3c529e8fa.jpg

• Like 2

Got the shoulder bells trimmed and edges sanded, but didn't work on the connectors yet. Did do just a bit of cosmetic work to the hand plates by cutting the front slots in, then backing them with scrap abs. Gloves are Endor Finders. 1d219db8618748096147e253fac813d0.jpg

• Like 1

A pic of my shoulder system. A double elastic strap with a snap at each end that connects to snap plates glued about 3/4 inch below the slot for the shoulder bridges. Im reinforcing the shoulder bridges by gluing them to a strip of abs with a male snap in the center. They each have velcro on the ends that attach to velcro in the shoulder slots. The center snap is there to keep them from popping out if if I wear my crystal patrol pack. The extra abs helps with durability of the shoulder bridges too. I had to do it on my ANH kit. The side straps that come out will attach to a snap in the shoulder bell. 0c60b8ed14f490aa4c0b3faef39a8fe5.jpg

Spent around 3 1/2 hours sanding down all the resin cover strips to get rid of the majority of the print lines and ensure that all of them were the same thickness. If you have this kit, it will need to be done. Use a powered sander and eye and breathing protection because you are going to be sanding a substantial amount of resin.

The resin casts are quite durable and flexible, and once sanded to the proper thickness will form to the armor quite nicely.

After sanding I washed them in warm soapy water and now they're drying before I start with the painting. 64b1cff116c83833dca640806d9e2e7f.jpg

Got the left forearm assembled, just need to do some top trimming and some sanding at the cuff. It closes with velcro on the backside of the arm. I did have to do a boiling water dip to get a better curve on them after doing the rough cut. But when closed they fit perfectly and are much more comfortable than my ANH forearms. The backside is current clamping down on the back coverstrip or I would have gotten a pic of that. 577f26a88808434546b8f40b9290bb0d.jpg

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

So... Forearms, biceps, and shins are done outside of some touch up sanding on the edges and some ankle trim still to be done once my boots arrive. But then there was woe and despair. I totally botched my thighs. Needless to say, errors were made, and the horror that ensued while trying to remedy them were fruitless. But, then plan B came around. I had an extra ANH TK for replacement parts, and went about converting the thighs. One is almost done, after cutting, reshaping and some PC9 epoxy sculpting, I managed a suitable replacement. Still have to do some heavy sandinding work and touch up painting and I think I'll be good to go. We'll see what the end result ends up being like. c6711d3bdb19c240e9494fbfc361823d.jpg

Thigh update. The epoxy was set when I got home this evening and I test fitted the thigh and it fits perfect. The shape of the R1 thigh and its size compared to an ANH kit is leaps and bounds an improvement. It fits snug and is way more comfortable for extended trooping. Work on thigh #2 has started, then I'll be in the final stretch for this kit.

The finished thigh came out really well. Working on the second thigh and the shoulder straps this weekend, and then starting on the belt. So hopefully that will go along smoothly without any big issues like I had with the thighs. My boots are on the way from IB, so hopefully in the next two weeks I'll wrap this up! 35e9e59dee09ac031a0b67f22103de53.jpg

I got 11b30b4's straps as the ABS straps were not going to work for me. Since I have a Crystal patrol pack, and have been wearing it with my ANH kit, the pressure and wear on ABS straps, and being uncomfortable after a few hours, the rubber straps were the way to go. Instead of the embedded velcro I ordered them without and glued two snaps in the center. Stuck velcro on the ends which Im going to trim back a little as the edges show. The snap connects to the
Front/back/shoulder bell assembly. I had to shorten my straps for proper fit. And being rubber, they should help with the issues I was having with the pack straps sliding off the abs straps and sitting between the bell sometimes! Highly recommend swapping to rubber straps! f1687d197eb2c21065be7653e2be9eb8.jpg72bac7fdc730833479f23f96587f459c.jpg48e3aee13c2397223a48c93c93e5f8ab.jpg

• Like 1

So, after some more test fitting, I need to redo the biceps. Took them apart, did some trimming, reshaping, and some shimming to get them a bit slimmer so they were not pushing out on the bells. The refit is a lot better, just need to get some paint on them and reattach the cover strips. Once thats done, an attachment strap from the bell to the bicep so it wont flop out. ebc4f2eb57ab67ddc062f7afd161548a.jpgb2a7481b4f98bbab0d2a0987201d8c17.jpg9069c580a539e8206fad7eed7bf4ce12.jpg

• Like 1