TheRascalKing's Anthology Jimmiroquai TK Build Thread

10 minutes ago, wook1138 said:

I'm a little late to the party, but... holy smokes - this is an incredible build.  

Now that you've trooped in it a bit - is there anything you would change?  How did the magnets work for you?  I'm attempting to help someone with the same kit - I'm wondering if the magnets are the way to go.

Hahaha thanks. I went a bit overboard.

YES THO. Many things I still need to change. Namely my solution for the shoulder bridges. I used ONLY magnets to secure the chest plate and bridges to the back/sides and they failed when I leaned forward, causing the chest to fall off and crack at the front shoulder tabs. I need to do a pretty significant repair there and will likely be utilizing a new set of flexible bridges made by @BigJasoni who is also a big ROTK guy. I'd recommend using magnets as locators but maybe some velcro in a few select places to really secure things in place.

I'll get back to this at some point and post some additional updates, but I have some stuff planned that's still in the works!

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

Very impressive build! I myself and considering starting my very first build using that same kit from Jim, of course however since I am quite young and my funds are quite low I am just starting with the helmet which I have ordered (very excited), I saw how much work you did on your helmet, it seemed a bit overwhelming, if I wanted basic approval would I have to do all you did? 

On 7/16/2022 at 7:06 AM, RINZLERz said:

Very impressive build! I myself and considering starting my very first build using that same kit from Jim, of course however since I am quite young and my funds are quite low I am just starting with the helmet which I have ordered (very excited), I saw how much work you did on your helmet, it seemed a bit overwhelming, if I wanted basic approval would I have to do all you did? 

Thank you! Check back later, but I'm in the process of pairing my thread down to just the stuff that's relevant to the helmet in its own new thread - I've got the pictures mostly copied over but will fill in some descriptions. I'll include all the steps I took, but I guess at a high level of "is this necessary"?

- Adding resin for strength? Optional, highly recommended

- Exterior priming and sanding? Necessary

- Interior paint and prep? Optional

- Cutting the teeth out? Necessary   Cutting the tube stripes out? Optional, highly recommended

- Adding the asymmetrical eye 'squint'? Optional

- Final exterior white paint? Necessary   2K Clear? Optional

- Painting the traps, tears, teeth, ears, brow trim, and neck trim details? Necessary

- Assembly, including the mic tips, lens, interior padding, frown mesh, vocoder, and tube stripe backing? Necessary

- Adding fans/mic/electronics? Optional, highly recommended for trooping

Idk, hopefully between that and the thread, it will point you in the right direction. There aren't a ton of these helmets that are out there and finished to a high level, and everyone has a different technique, but you learn as you go. Take your time. Be patient. Most of these steps are EXTREMELY linear and you can't skip around, so you really need to plan ahead as you build. Feel free to post questions on your build thread and I'll try to pop in from time to time and help. Best of luck!

• Like 1

Did you happen to run into the same cracking problem @11b30b4 ran into after trooping? Or did the flexible resin on the inside help with this? I am really waffling between Jim's kit (beautiful and sized better for myself) or the 850AW kit (easier to work with but may require more fiddling and trimming) and the fear of the fiberglass kit becoming a maintenance nightmare after just one troop is making it hard to choose.

• 2 weeks later...
On 3/18/2023 at 11:38 AM, AmishMechanic said:

Did you happen to run into the same cracking problem @11b30b4 ran into after trooping? Or did the flexible resin on the inside help with this? I am really waffling between Jim's kit (beautiful and sized better for myself) or the 850AW kit (easier to work with but may require more fiddling and trimming) and the fear of the fiberglass kit becoming a maintenance nightmare after just one troop is making it hard to choose.

In short, yes - a bit. It's a common misconception that fiberglass cracks any more or less than ABS though. Depends on how you treat it and what shapes it's pressed into.

Edited by TheRascalKing

In short, yes - a bit. It's a common misconception that fiberglass cracks any more or less than ABS though. Depends on how you treat it and shapes it's pressed into.

True statement. I’ve also found it depends on the style of armor. Seems that each armor has areas more likely to crack than others. my FOTK constantly cracked around the shoulders of the yoke. But then again that’s just due to the design. Any areas of stress I’d recommend reinforcing prior to much wear and tear to help.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Like 1

• 2 months later...
On 9/9/2020 at 1:06 PM, TheRascalKing said:

Back at it again. Really slowed down while I did some problem solving and had some paint issues (which are extra frustrating at this stage). I'll post some photos and descriptions of my progress and hangups later this week, but as a bit of a teaser...

51812766.jpg

@TheRascalKing I just spent the better half of an hour going through this goldmine of a thread. I just love it, and good news on the medical front also!

Question: Do you have a link to the big round magnets and the belt you had on that supports the thigh pieces?

• TheRascalKing changed the title to TheRascalKing's Anthology Jimmiroquai TK Build Thread