TheRascalKing's Anthology Jimmiroquai TK Build Thread

On ‎5‎/‎22‎/‎2020 at 6:37 AM, DarthBiscuit said:

Are there special permissions? We can't access it.

Yes, currently it's in the extended staff area

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Dear Lord Vader help me, it's happening...

nj7xHxO.jpg

9KZ436z.jpg

DarthBiscuit put the fear of God in me (staying away from the Plastidip after all!) but I tried shooting final gloss white and clear today on about half of the parts in my garage.

yb3tG5f.jpg

It's drying now after 2 coats of white (10 min between each, then a 30min break) and then 2 coats of SprayMax 2K gloss clear... man I hope turns out okay! I didn't have enough positive ventilation, so the ground is all white and sticky in my garage. Not my finest idea, but at least I masked the walls, table, and my crate I used to place some of the smaller items on. Fingers crossed! Arms, legs, barrel, and helmet in a day or two.

• Like 1

Haha glad someone could learn from my "process"! PlastiDip might work out, but you might need to peel off the tape for every coat, and sand it rough beforehand to get the best application. Probably best to skip it. Hopefully my vocoder PlastiDip won't peel off... So what will you use for the black?

16 hours ago, Darth147 said:

Can’t wait to see your result 

I think it came out good! Definitely has some orange peel, but I expected that. It's very light in most places and maybe approaching medium in a few, but not a dealbreaker anywhere. Same with the white coverage - couple of tiny spots I missed, but overall pretty darn even and smooth. I'm happy with it. Might cut and buff the chest but otherwise I'll leave it be. Definitely no weird reactions, runs, or cracks. My prep largely paid off, it looks like. Sweet.

ZQ4z1eW.jpg

XVDv6vq.jpg

15 hours ago, DarthBiscuit said:

Haha glad someone could learn from my "process"! PlastiDip might work out, but you might need to peel off the tape for every coat, and sand it rough beforehand to get the best application. Probably best to skip it. Hopefully my vocoder PlastiDip won't peel off... So what will you use for the black?

You know, I sprayed just a matte black primer on the vocoder and it looks pretty good for "rubbery"... probably just that, I guess!

Brought all the pieces inside this morning - will attempt to re-prep the garage and spray the rest today or tomorrow so they can dry and I can paint the colored details!

Edited by TheRascalKing
  • Like 4

4 minutes ago, StarTrooper said:

Wow that came out great, if I end up needing to paint my FOTK I’ll definitely use your process!

You'll almost certainly need to, and I almost certainly wouldn't hahaha Rattle can is NOT the way to go unless you're somehow WAY more efficient than me. This sucked lol

21 minutes ago, TheRascalKing said:

You'll almost certainly need to, and I almost certainly wouldn't hahaha Rattle can is NOT the way to go unless you're somehow WAY more efficient than me. This sucked lol

Lol, okay, may need to consider other options:laugh1: I would bet that I’m not even close to as efficient as you!

Edited by StarTrooper
Typo

On 9/17/2019 at 8:06 AM, TheRascalKing said:

Bought some random 2" suspenders off Amazon and retrofitted them to (mostly) work to hold up the barrel.

Do you have the link to these? I found some options, but not with those ends. Most have clips that just won't work the same.

11 minutes ago, DarthBiscuit said:

Do you have the link to these? I found some options, but not with those ends. Most have clips that just won't work the same.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01BLVEGHO/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apap_8BsiH9AXfTDHq

• Like 2

On 3/8/2020 at 3:05 PM, TheRascalKing said:

I split the back of the thighs later in the day using my Dremel cut off wheel, then a 60grit sanding block to smooth my cut lines out. I'm a slimmer guy, so it'll be nice to overlap these and size em down a bit. I'll add a little extra resin where I chopped them when I coat the arms.

I'm really glad I decided to look back thru your thread! I think I'll have to do the same and am just SO HESITANT to make any cuts to Jim's beautiful kit... I'll probably use a strip of fiberglass as a shim to back the cut. I think I'll have to take an inch off around the top too to shorten it, but I'll wait until I can test fit against the belt/cod and shins. 

16 minutes ago, DarthBiscuit said:

I'm really glad I decided to look back thru your thread! I think I'll have to do the same and am just SO HESITANT to make any cuts to Jim's beautiful kit... I'll probably use a strip of fiberglass as a shim to back the cut. I think I'll have to take an inch off around the top too to shorten it, but I'll wait until I can test fit against the belt/cod and shins. 

The studio suit thighs were made using an overlap with elastic closure at the back as well. I imagine Jim makes the thighs extra large with this in mind, but they probably hold shape through shipping better before being cut if they're in one piece. I didn't mess with any of my coverstrips and it fits decent thank goodness.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I agree with the CRL issues needing to be addressed. I did not paint the black outline on the ear bars and I have a feeling someone may have been confused since the small oval on the ear bar is suppose to be black but the rest is gray. If I end up having access to that thread I will bring this up as well as the velcro issue now that we know it was shock cord (bungee cord) used to close the back side of the appendages. At some point i will get a seperate thread asking for feedback from yall to address some of the CRL issues. 

Justin, keep up the good work.

• 4 weeks later...

OKAY, I'm way behind on updates for this thread, apologies! I've had some setbacks in the build, which got me so frustrated, the last thing I wanted to do was rehash them! Normally trooping helps remind me why I invest so much time and money in these suits, but since that's essentially off limits for now, it's been rather disheartening. Still finding time to work on it here and there tho, and I AM getting close! Here's a few updates to hold you over.

Okay, let's start with an easy one that went well. Handguards are smooth and glossy and velcro'ed onto my Endor Finders gloves easily. DONE!

pyBv7ky.jpg

All body panels are done in paint - I just have the helmet left to (re)paint. I didn't have enough clear to get it glossy and smooth, so I ended up deciding the orange peel was TOO much and sanding the clear off until it was smooth again. It'll get painted this week, then on to the colored details.

lbfiC16.jpg

Added in the rear zipper closure from Rogue Repro...

9CZbuo5.jpg

pD7c27O.jpg

I also tied a little cord on it so I can zip and unzip it myself!

Next, I started gluing in nylon web tabs with Line 24 snaps in them in order to attach the suspenders!

RS2WTu7.jpg

As it turns out, gluing onto the paint was not a great idea, and the FastHold took the paint off with it. Frustrating.

XytEI3c.jpg5WscSfa.jpg

The back panel came out well though, with almost no pinholes or paint issues!

FVKno2b.jpg

I also masked and painted the blue, then the grey details on the ab.

nU2VGNn.jpg

2w8ziRh.jpg

Another setback... snapped the stem on the brand new can of blue. Got blue everywhere, but luckily, got enough on the ab first.

41dkiyb.jpg

I'll clean em up a little, but that'll do.

mvsD3K9.jpg

Also tried masking and painting the side stripes... and they came out awful. Ordered some "precision" masking tape (seen in green) before repainting...

ZOmNsaf.jpg

7Ul8VvO.jpg

Better...

jXXYP9J.jpg

I'll keep adding to this as I can - there are some more photos and updates to share but it's too hot haha

Edited by TheRascalKing
  • Like 4

Great progress Justin.

In case you haven't seen this post yet, I''m sure you may have some good feedback for the re word of the R1 CRL.

In fact anyone currently working on this costume should take a look and chime in.

14 minutes ago, Sly11 said:

Great progress Justin.

In case you haven't seen this post yet, I''m sure you may have some good feedback for the re word of the R1 CRL.

In fact anyone currently working on this costume should take a look and chime in.

Oh cool, I will! And I'll try to get submitted before it gets harder :P

• Like 1

You guys will have a hall pass as you started construction before this took place so would be approved based on the current CRL. :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 2

1 hour ago, TheRascalKing said:

Handguards are smooth and glossy and velcro'ed onto my Endor Finders gloves easily

Looks great! I really like the quality of these EndorFinders gloves! Someone mentioned pulling the liner out to cool them down, which I realized might be a good idea after wearing them for 5 minutes... Do yours come out?

As it turns out, gluing onto the paint was not a great idea, and the FastHold took the paint off with it.

I was wondering about that... Didn't you spray PlastiDip inside? I sprayed Rustoleum satin white, so I don't know if it'll rip out when I E6000 the snaps in.

Ordered some "precision" masking tape (seen in green) before repainting...

Are you referring to precision tape like this?

Nice to see some progress!

32 minutes ago, Sly11 said:

Great progress Justin.

I don't have access to see that thread :icon_eek:

2 hours ago, DarthBiscuit said:

Looks great! I really like the quality of these EndorFinders gloves! Someone mentioned pulling the liner out to cool them down, which I realized might be a good idea after wearing them for 5 minutes... Do yours come out?

I was wondering about that... Didn't you spray PlastiDip inside? I sprayed Rustoleum satin white, so I don't know if it'll rip out when I E6000 the snaps in.

Are you referring to precision tape like this?

Nice to see some progress!

I haven't pulled the liner out of mine, but I can definitely see the benefit if it's hot. They definitely aren't designed to come out.

I just sprayed it with Rust-Oleum 2x flat white in the end - PlastiDip would just peel off and I didn't like the Flex-Seal as much. I didn't prime, so it might not have bonded as well to the resin. I ran out of E6000 and used Fast Hold, which usually works great (it's like half E6000, half CA) but definitely not this time. I'm just gonna try going back to E6000 and straight into the scuffed up panel.

And yup, that's the stuff. Still not perfect but way better than the cheap 1" offbrand stuff I got off Amazon - it usually is just for masking off paint but doesn't do clean lines or bends well. That stuff is definitely a step up.

And thanks! I'll post some more soon - it's been triple digit heat in CA this week so...

Edited by TheRascalKing
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, DarthBiscuit said:

I don't have access to see that thread :icon_eek:

Sorry Dan, it is in the 501st section so only full members can make comment.

At it's next stage it will be moved to a more visible location for finalization before we actually make the changes.

Justin, my apologies for the minor derailment of your thread sir.

If anyone has questions about the CRL change please post them in that thread or PM myself so we can keep this thread on topic.

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

Back at it again. Really slowed down while I did some problem solving and had some paint issues (which are extra frustrating at this stage). I'll post some photos and descriptions of my progress and hangups later this week, but as a bit of a teaser...

51812766.jpg

Edited by TheRascalKing
  • Like 6