TheRascalKing's Anthology Jimmiroquai TK Build Thread

Little update! It's been warmer here in SoCal (actually TOO warm some days haha), so I've been able to lay more paint. Everything (save the helmet) is FULLY WHITE now! All the interiors are resin-ed, decently smoothed, and painted flat white. All the exteriors are fully primed and have had at least 1-2 coats of flat white base, then at least one of gloss white on top. Just need to sand them back to 1500 or so, then let them sit for a week to completely offgas, mask everything, then I'll spray clear, hopefully in the next week or two. Tried to do a front and back shot so you can see a few of the interiors that aren't masked yet.Ā 

Ā 

E8VHneQ.jpggeS2T8Z.jpg

Ā 

At this point, the helmet is the furthestĀ behind and is sitting in its last coat of primer, sanded and waiting for a coat of flat white - just need to finish filing out the tube vents and teeth. What a pain. I caved and used my dremel to connect holes I drilled at the edges, and nicked a couple spots, so I'll need to fill them back in a bit. I wanted to make sure these were cut out before spraying white though, so that's my project for the next couple of days.

Ā 

f0rltTg.jpgqwuP3rr.jpg

Ā 

Oh, and in other fun news, got my Heavy Weapons Trooper EIB-approved finally, so that's cool! Centurion next once I find more energy to make a couple changes...

Ā 

ZNhIpBy.jpg

Ā 

I'm now halfway done with radiation treatment (10 out of 20 down!), and have been SUPER tired and achy, so it's been hard getting motivated to finish, but I'll get there. Thanks for stopping by!

Edited by TheRascalKing
  • Like 7

• 2 weeks later...

Update time! Been putting time in on the arms and the helmet lately - both are just about ready for final gloss, along with the rest of the kit. I may try to hang plastic and actually rig up some kind of makeshift paint booth on my patio for final gloss and clear... I'm tired of sanding tiny flies and dust out of my coats.

Ā 

Took several shots of the helmet in matte white:

6NEwVeC.jpg

EOfMuDO.jpg

PMz1XU1.jpg

bBeYLo1.jpg

Ā 

Forgot to take photos but I did a little more filling and sanding between matte and gloss coats. This thing is gonna be smooooooth, guys. I want to do a teeeeeny bit more cleanup after this first gloss cost, mostly around the teeth, traps, and ear bars. Switching from matte to clear can also illuminate flaws in the paint and while wet sanding, so I usually do that extra step when I want a really nice finish.Ā 

Ā 

Here it is in gloss:

xLR8R6l.jpg

Ā 

v7pkMZ6.jpg

Ā 

Here's the interior too. Debating a helmet liner from WhiteShadow (pics 2&3 as an example) but I'm unsure I'll have enough room for electronics... We'll see.

Ā 

JsA6nbg.jpg

Ā 

4ClOdYx.jpgtQvYuJt.jpg

Ā 

The forearms are just about done as well. I'll probably actually start fitting the suit this week, while I let the paint offgass fully, then mask everything off for clear.Ā 

Ā 

1CY0yoz.jpg

Ā 

While spraying an extra coat helped fill some of them, I did notice a pretty large number of pretty small pinholes in the barrel (I believe Jeff had the same issue)... After asking myself just how many tiny pinholes were acceptable and deciding LITTLE TO NONE - wouldn't you know it, my barrel broke out on some type of red chicken-pox-like rash...

Ā 

jEspyWJ.jpg

Ā 

Seemed like the only cure for the itch was a little 1000grit scratch. I hate pinholes. You can see em better with the leftover filler... But not for long.

Ā 

h9GJCHy.jpg

Ā 

The kids I high five in this thing one day will never know the depths of my madness...

Ā 

Anywho, I'm all done with radiation treatment now, so that's awesome! Apparently the next two weeks will be the worst of the side effects but it hasn't been tootoo bad. Then nothing exciting until I get a PET scan in 2-3 months to make sure this all did the trick.

Ā 

I really wanna get this suit done soon, and I know I'm in the home stretch, but that last 5-10% always feel like it's as hard as the first 90% of the project haha

Ā 

I'll get there.

Edited by TheRascalKing
  • Like 8

Can't wait to see you in this armour and approved Justin, looking real good.

Plastic paint booth is a good idea, I get the feeling you wouldn't be satisfied with dust particles etc sticking on your final paint job after so much hard work.

It's rainy again here in SoCal, so just wet sanding away but no fresh paint. I'm going to try to find plastic sheeting (and maybe a Husky crate!) at Home Depot some time this week so I can finally lay final gloss white soon. Feeling okay, just not motivated...

Ā 

Got my mic tips in from Tony/@ukswrathĀ - I appreciated him reaching out to confirm that they were for R1 builds, so he left the interiors painted black for me. Sweet. The ones from Jim are fine, but the tip and mesh are cast in one piece, like the BS ones, so I chose to upgrade them on this fiberglass helmet and my BS conversion.

Ā 

7NWUzUT.jpg

Ā 

Inspection of the new crate has also begun...

Ā 

gUmHrRe.jpg

Ā 

Also kinda cool - was watching this week's episode of Disney Gallery - The Mandalorian, the behind the scenes documentary about the making of the show, and hey look - there I am on set without my helmet on! Neat.

Ā 

GiLMMBw.jpg

Ā 

Still unsure what made Matt laugh so hard, but Kevin looks guilty as hell... Haha

Ā 

More updates this weekend hopefully!

Edited by TheRascalKing
  • Like 11

1 hour ago, TheRascalKing said:

Also kinda cool - was watching this week's episode of Disney Gallery - The Mandalorian, the behind the scenes documentary about the making of the show, and hey look - there I am on set without my helmet on! Neat.

Ā 

Ā 

But what ...!!!!... To whom do I have to sell my soul to be there?:56pullhair:

18 hours ago, Chemi said:

But what ...!!!!... To whom do I have to sell my soul to be there?:56pullhair:

latest?cb=20160120021142

Ā 

Never look directly into Kathleen Kennedy's eyes.

Ā 

Ā 

But in all seriousness, scenes were shot in Southern California, so... location, location, location. I honestly doubt if it will ever happen again though...

• Like 2

Anyone have thoughts on the accent colors/gloss? Correct me if I'm wrong!

Ā 

For the helmet:

Ā 

Traps, tears, and ears - satin medium grey with satin black outlines?

Brow trim and neck seal - flat, rubbery black

Vocoder - satin black?

Frown - satin medium grey

Mic tips - all satin black (including insides)?

Ā 

Under arm connectors - gloss black

Ā 

For the barrel:

Ā 

Ab buttons - gloss medium blue and gloss medium gray?

Vertical side stripes - gloss black?

Ā 

Thermal detonator details - satinĀ medium grey

Ā 

Sound correct?

Edited by TheRascalKing
  • Like 1

Anyone have thoughts on the accent colors/gloss? Correct me if I'm wrong!
Ā 
For the helmet:
Ā 
Traps, tears, and ears - flat medium grey with satin black outlines?
Brow trim and neck seal - flat, rubbery black
Vocoder - satin black?
Frown - flat medium grey
Mic tips - all satin black (including insides)?
Ā 
Under arm connectors - gloss black
Ā 
For the barrel:
Ā 
Ab buttons - gloss medium blue and gloss medium gray?
Vertical side stripes - gloss black?
Ā 
Thermal detonator details - flat medium grey
Ā 
Sound correct?
You're all right bro!

Sent from my LYA-L29 using Tapatalk

51 minutes ago, darthcue said:

You're all right bro!

Ā 

0qcC1pW.jpg

Ā 

Cool. Updating my color pallet to the above unless someone objects before I get around to hanging the plastic I bought today and final sanding a few things. Trying to get every dang pinhole haha

Ā 

kiBs3vw.jpg

DeRRv9T.jpg

Ā 

More paint soon. Been tired.

Ā 

Also, shout out to my wonderful girlfriend (and DZ-71490) Lauren, who will probably never see this post, for tolerating another build taking up the living room floor for months on end. It's been an amazing project for keeping my mind busy during tough times, but I've spent way too much energy on this thing. I want to get it done soon! Ah!

Ā 

KsjcwWP.jpg

Edited by TheRascalKing
  • Like 2

14 hours ago, TheRascalKing said:

Traps, tears, and ears - satin medium grey with satin black outlines?

I know the CRL says black outline around the ear bars, but I think most buckets I've seen aren'tĀ outlined. Is this part of the CRL accurate?

9 minutes ago, DarthBiscuit said:

I know the CRL says black outline around the ear bars, but I think most buckets I've seen aren'tĀ outlined. Is this part of the CRL accurate?

image-png.657804

Ā 

Great catch and I think the CRL is actually wrong, having been carried over from ANH. I don't plan on outlining my ear bars. Traps and tears tho, yes.

Ā 

Also, is the vocoder rubbery black or satin? Now I'm second-guessing based on this pic of a screen used helmet...

• Like 3

1 hour ago, ukswrath said:

CRL update thread created if you feel there's anything else we should take a look at

Ā 

Ā 

I don't have permission to see it?

The other big one that I noticed on set is that I don't believe that "Thigh armor must be closed in the back with Velcro." should be a requirement either. I know there's debate about the Celebration display suit having velcro at the back of the thighs, but I noticedĀ that the studio suitĀ thighs were overlapped but open in the back and kept together using elastic inside. You can see this noticeably in The Mando S01E08 when a TK kneels down at about 36:36 in and it opens up a bit. No velcro.

Ā 

RIy8KNn.png

Ā 

Ā 

Edited by TheRascalKing
  • Like 1

I've loved following along on this build. Your progress speed is putting my TK build to shame, haha. I do have a couple questions about your paint:

• What made you choose the truck bed-liner spray over plasti-dip for the interior of your bucket? Perhaps they're actually the same thing, but since you phrased them differently in your description of the bucket interior and vocoder, I thought maybe you had two different products. I'm curious because I would also like to have a black interior on my bucket. Have you found that velcro for padding adheres to the rubberized surface ok?
  • Do you purchase your rattle cans at a specific store in person, or can you order them online or for curbside pickup? I'm currently avoiding entering any businesses and am wondering what my options are.

Glad to hear you're through this stage of your medical treatments, and I hope you continue to recover quickly!

1 hour ago, MaskedVengeance said:

I've loved following along on this build. Your progress speed is putting my TK build to shame, haha. I do have a couple questions about your paint:

• What made you choose the truck bed-liner spray over plasti-dip for the interior of your bucket? Perhaps they're actually the same thing, but since you phrased them differently in your description of the bucket interior and vocoder, I thought maybe you had two different products. I'm curious because I would also like to have a black interior on my bucket. Have you found that velcro for padding adheres to the rubberized surface ok?
  • Do you purchase your rattle cans at a specific store in person, or can you order them online or for curbside pickup? I'm currently avoiding entering any businesses and am wondering what my options are.

Glad to hear you're through this stage of your medical treatments, and I hope you continue to recover quickly!

Thank you! I have no idea what I'm doing, but sometimes I take pictures as I figure things out haha Progress has been slow, but I trying to get a little done each day...

Ā 

I started doing the truck bedliner with Anovos helmets because I'd like to think it gives helmets like 0.1% extra strength/impact resistance... Plus I just like the look/texture. Definitely two different products - PlastiDip sprays like a rubbery matte and can be peeled off, bedliner sprays like a textured satin and is abrasion resistant so really tough to remove. Some guys would layer cheesecloth and soak it in PlastiDip to build up a layer of strength in their helmet interior. Never been a fan, so I just mask the helmet off with a trash bag and tape and sprayĀ the bedliner. Velcro has no problem sticking to it.

Ā 

I've done both - I have an Ace Hardware nearby that has good selection, but I got my white cans in 6-packs off Amazon for a little cheaper. I think for individual cans it was more. I bet somewhere is doing curbside, but it probably depends what's local to you. I wore a mask and a keychain bottle of hand sanitizer when I went in haha

Ā 

Thank you!

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Surprise, delays.

Ā 

Decided to sand the inside of the shins where they overlap to try to get them to sit a bit more flush. Especially since I have that ultra thin Velcro, I'm hoping to minimize visible gaps. Some if the parts just didn't line up 100% right, but they were a little better after dremeling/sanding. I ended up exposing a bunch of low spots and pin holes, so I felt the need to fill those. I also noticed that the bottoms of the shins were a bit long as well, so I trimmed and sanded and bondoed those edges... then of course sprayed the whole thing white over again.

Ā 

Ddd5EVr.jpg

Ā 

Similar setback with the thighs - I had previously repaired a small crack at the top of the inner thigh with super glue and thought it was fixed, only to have it open back up again. I ground it out and filled it with two part epoxy and sanded again... and sprayed white... again... Same as the shins below.

Ā 

Bonded:

xkC5GAl.jpg

Sanded:

KLrMjGI.jpg

Almost disappears with paint:

fb70yjK.jpg

Ā 

Fiddling with the last little imperfections on the helmet too, finally pretty happy with it. Found some pinholes I didn't notice before along the neck seal edge, so you guessed it, I filled and sanded those too.

Ā 

zc9KQBH.jpg

Ā 

The interior unfortunately had some white overspray from some masking tape that failed, so I sprayed it with one more coat of bed liner. Masking makes it look like a luchador mask haha

Ā 

6fCzwKH.jpg

Ā 

OIR6XMN.jpg

Ā 

Also started prepping the vocoder, almost forgot about it!

Ā 

XnnOOUO.jpg

Ā 

The ab section also developed a couple weird tiny cracks, probably from flexing it "open" too wide while sanding. My bad - it'll flex but don't go crazy. I just filled these with filler, I hope they'll be okay. Too hard to get shots of it.

Ā 

Sorry, didn't take too many photos. More little fixes this weekend then I swear I'll get to final paint soon... Rushing causes problems! Hopefully getting my HWT Centurion app in this weekend too.

Ā 

Did my first "virtual troop" this week and my first in a couple months! We got to crash an elementary school STEM class's Zoom call and in costume, then suit down and talk about the club's charity work, Galactic Academy, costume building techniques, and STEM skills. Was a blast!

Edited by TheRascalKing
  • Like 5