HWT in progress questions

choinierx

Good evening everyone, 

I just got approval for my ANH stunt TK and I have been working on building HWT components to eventually add that to my repertoire.

That being said, I have a couple of questions about the pack. 

I have built a pack based on several threads on the boards here (images below), but I want to know what the verdict is on E-11 mount on the side of the pack. Is that something that is allowable for submission? I've seen it here and there and I really like the idea of having my E-11 strapped to the pack as a "backup" weapon. I've added my own variation of a mount to my pack, but it should be pretty easy to remove if i need to. 

Second question. How do you all run the shoulder straps for the pack over/around/under/through the regular plastic TK shoulder covers/straps? Every time i've tried the pack on with my armor, the pack straps keep getting tangled up with the plastic shoulder straps and the elastic shoulder straps. I'm worried i'm gonna wind up snapping one of the plastic straps trying to get the pack on. 

These are the straps i have currently for the pack: https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B078VZXDM5/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o09_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

48-AD86-BD-8-FEE-4906-847-D-164-E97888-D
D086-B5-D2-7527-4-EF3-B2-BD-81-DDE320-E9
FCF1-A6-A0-D50-C-4677-9-A5-F-19-F29-C438

Thanks all!

• Like 1

Looks great Thomas. 

1. Blaster mounts are not screen accurate and the pack may not be approved by your garrison's GML if you have them. Check with your GML and ask if it's ok to have mounts, even after approval. Not all garrisons will allow them, period. That said, this is your costume ;)

2. I cross (like an "X") mine in the back so it rides higher on my shoulders and under the shoulder straps. I made my own straps.

Edited by ukswrath

The mount for your E-11 (while a cool idea) would probably not pass basic HWT requirements if your GML adheres to the the CRL, as it specifically states "...no extra greeblies." (extra parts not shown in the CRL photo).

The requirements were changed a few years back because people were putting all sorts of items like video monitors, etc. on their packs.  When trooping, individuality is fine, but you want to look pretty much like the person next to you if they are wearing the same costume.  This is one of the reasons we have the CRLs in place.

As Tony mentioned, what you do after approval is up to you.

I actually mounted my E-11 to my pack similar to what you did at one point, but found that the extra weight caused the pack to lean and shift to the left so I removed the mounting straps and abandoned the idea.  Plus, even having even that little bit of extra weight can take it's toll after an hour or so of wearing it, trust me.

As for strapping, I used 1 inch wide black nylon, attached by doubling over the ends and bolting it in to the plastic areas as seen below.  By using the 1 inch wide nylon it allows the straps to rest between my shoulder bridge/shoulder bells so it puts no weight on any particular piece which can cause cracking.

Some use the padded type of straps, but I am leery about putting any extra weight on my shoulder bridges/bells that could cause them to crack or split over time.

This is the way I personally put mine on:

1.  Connect the clips on the left top/bottom straps.

2.  Have someone hold the pack while I put my left arm through.  I make sure the strap sits in the space between the shoulder bell/shoulder bridge.

3.  Hold the pack with my left arm while someone connects the clips on the right side.

4.  Ask that same person to attach the shoulder pauldron.

5.  Done!

In case you are wondering what the extra strap is for, I attach my shoulder MP40 ammo pouch to that.  It just loops through the strap on the back of the ammo pouch and holds it in place.

uTJifPV.jpg?1    7NpaMAv.jpg?1  OIVfHj5.png?1

By the way, AWESOME job on that pack build!  :jc_doublethumbup:   If I could make one suggestion, it would be to scuff it up a bit to look more "battle worn".

If I can be of any help sourcing HWT items or if you need specific help, please feel free to PM me!

• Like 1

Hey Thomas,    As mentioned by Tonya nd Joseph, the Blaster most likely will not be approvable on the pack. As far as the strapping I do the same on my pack as Joseph stated. I have a 1 inch webbing with quick disconnects that goes under my shoulder bridges and connects to the bottom corners of my packs. I've cut grooves in the plastic and looped the webbing through. Also, the pack you build looks awesome, great job!

Yeah, definitely no-go on the E11 for approval purposes.  Seems like most of the local guys in my garrison have added them to their packs, though, so I might end up adding it to mine, too (completely removable, of course), just so we all match better!

I'm not a big fan of the cheap Rubies E11s, but this is one application they're good for, especially since you're not actually going to be using it.  They're super light weight, even moreso than Hyperfirm / Praetorian, so not has hard on your back.  Because Joseph is absolutely right, no matter how light you make your pack, after a couple hours of wearing that pack, you will it was lighter!

I'm still dialing in getting suited up in my HWT, since I've only trooped in that configuration a few times.  So far I definitely need assistance for the final steps of Pauldron and backpack.  (Pauldron usually has to go on last since the pack strap goes under it)

My pack straps seem to lay pretty nicely between the shoulder bridges and the bells, though, and on top of the bells, if anything, so my bridges don't seem affected (phew!).  I'm not worried about the shoulder bells, they shouldn't be harmed.  Where your pack straps run is going to directly dictated by where the tops of the straps are attached to the pack.

20181215171103-8cb034a1-la.jpg

20190620150509-f104ac36-la.jpg

Looking SHARP, @kman!!  The only thing that bugs me is that you are too clean. lol!  Some charcoal powder would certainly make you look as if you just came out of a battle..;)

Looks as if you used Spool86's resin parts on that T-21.  SWEET!

Updated pack. Added some light weathering and removed the blaster mount. I’m 3d printing a DLT-20 and I have the files for a -19 that I’m doing next for my BFG. I have 2 homemade ammo pouches and one cheap but serviceable one from amazon (costumebase, I think) that I’m going to use until I can save more money for another sheet of leather.

Thanks for all of your feedback!
0593c5b2d741352c8753f51b4ec4c5a9.jpg56e6f3c2c8038ecf13b74c8a9a3ae472.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Edited by gmrhodes13
link removed no longer working
  • Like 2

On 6/21/2019 at 7:00 PM, justjoseph63 said:

Looking SHARP, @kman!!  The only thing that bugs me is that you are too clean. lol!  Some charcoal powder would certainly make you look as if you just came out of a battle..;)

Looks as if you used Spool86's resin parts on that T-21.  SWEET!

LOL Yeah, weathering is still on my long term list.  At the moment I switch between regular TK and HWT too often to do any substantial weathering that takes real effort to reverse... and I don't want anything too loose that'll make everything else filthy. (including my pretty bin LOL)

Besides, you have to think at SOME point they were clean, right? LOL

Brinkhouse did a run of T21s some time ago, which he made all himself I believe.  There was a sales thread here at one point, but I think he stopped making them.  Mine was one of his first models.

• Like 1

Follow the CRL get approved and then add the greeblies to the pack. After approval I added my E11 and the antenna to my pack. I get only positive comments about my additional mods. And BTW dirty that armor up a bit!! No clean HWT’s. Here is my HWT armor.7f7b95b1c5a29d743b43e9617e12287e.jpg&key=ad70bbcff8a27eeae00cd90bf3f97f66f47649880e6c76cc8bc6d3fe00e4168eebee3df3834c569262b6beb3874a96db.jpg&key=221ee6db21d7973af6c9d497f5b919a42b538c72641035260705569812fb60de

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

c03c56801ff4b16fab1f034bfc61b9d9.jpg

Once side of me is saying "this pack is not correct" with all the greeblies and such, BUT the other said is saying that is a awesome looking rig!

• Like 2