Anovos TK Armor Advice Needed

Working on my Anovos TK kit which I will probably convert to a TD. Assembling the left thigh and glued on cover strip but not quite happy with the alignment and placement.

The 2 parts are quite hard to align compared to my RS TK thigh parts because the bottom ridge on the outer half (seen in the picture as right side) is very pronounced and does not sit flush with the inner half lower ridge. This makes it difficult to position the cover strip lower. If I did, the strip would not be flush and raised leaving a large noticeable cavity viewable from the side.

9yqXGfE.jpg

kFa1pwU.jpg

I decided to align the bottom parts to line up rather than the top of the thighs. this has caused a bit of a problem with the outer half sitting slightly higher at the top end. (Sorry I forgot to take a pic of that.) I thought that I could trim the return edges back enough to a point where the top ridges would align a bit more evenly but I think that is not really possible. 

Also the two halves shifted apart a bit making the bottom ridge seam very noticeable. With some persuasion I think I can glue an underside strip to reduce the seam. From a distance it doesn't look that bad but up close, no good for me if I leave as such.

pCc29zn.jpg

sB79rlL.jpg

When the 2 parts are flexed into the curved final position the seam almost closes up.

Please excuse the messy taping and gluing. 

Should I remove the strip and re apply/ re align? Just would like to gather some opinions/suggestions on this.  If its recommended to do so, should I align the top ridge and leave the bottom ridge uneven? 

1 hour ago, Rat said:

Looks good Brian.

Sent from my VK815 using Tapatalk

Thanks Rat. I guess if I cant reduce the seam with a back plate support then I might consider redoing one half so there is less of a seam.

23 minutes ago, Bulldog44 said:

Thanks Rat. I guess if I cant reduce the seam with a back plate support then I might consider redoing one half so there is less of a seam.

ABS paste, although I think the originals had the seams hidden with white steelmax glue, same result though:duim: Also illustrating how the thighs are alligned by the top part of the lower ridges.

pfwNMAs.png

h8dUkJr.png

How it looks without ammo pack.

otmzGlq.jpg

• Like 2

Thanks Daniel. I think I tried to align the inner thigh with the bottom edge because the top of that ridge on my part is virtually flat so its hard to tell exactly where it ends. I considered heating that area and raising it to match the right side but its risky. If I re position the inner thigh to align a bit higher then the top of the thighs will even out but the very bottom edge will be uneven. Its one or the other I guess. 

I think after I glue the back support plate to pull the parts closer at the bottom I should be able to avoid sealing the crack.....I hope.  

At the moment I am feeling like I might try again, take the inner half off and re-position a bit higher so the top edges match.  

Thanks for all your comments and ideas. I went home with the intent to leave things as they were but somehow it didn't just feel right so I did end up removing the cover strip and re-aligning the halves. Hoping it stay put during the drying stage. I think I was able to get the top edge to line up better and just sacrificed the bottom alignment a touch.

I used every magnet in my arsenal and a few clamps. Update on this when it sets. Fingers crossed. 

Thanks again for listening.

Edit: Attempt 2 photo. Magnet crazy!!!!

OIOEJlx.jpg

• Like 1