Helotech SDS Hero build

Helotech

6 hours ago, TheSwede said:

Hey Dave

For Centurion the stencils/decals are to emulate hand painted. Looking at the stencils they appear to emulate hand painted so you seem to be all good there:duim:

Ok. I read the quote as they had to be hand painted, but I could make nice neat straight lines... :)

My OCD kicking in. I like straight lines better than the wavy ones.

12 minutes ago, CableGuy said:

Yep, those will be fine.

Before you apply them, here’s a handy link;

https://www.whitearmor.net/forum/topic/44755-tube-stripes-anh-stunt-dave-m/

:-)

Thanks for the link Dan. I saw that somewhere before, but now I got it in my thread :)

So.....another small issue has arisen now that I've moved onto updating the ears to Centurion.

I ordered a set of ears from ATA, and they are good quality, but they won't fit my helmet.

The ears are to short, and they have a more "humped" curve than my current SDS ears.

Current SDS ear on helmet. Pretty  minimal gaps that I could reduce further. They fit very well.

One thing I discovered as I was looking at the SDS ears: The black edging and stripe on the bumps are LITTLE STRIPS OF TAPE!!!!  Ok SDS, most of the armor is good, but you cheap out on painting stripes and use tape?!

uBJjkNp.jpg

rBVTBn4.jpg

YFSeb2Z.jpg

The ATA ears are about 1/2" too short, top to bottom. They barely reach the S seal along the bottom edge of helmet.

uXuP0JR.jpg

The hump that fits over helmet cheek tubes is too pronounced on ATA ears. ATA at back of photo.

2iP1d2V.jpg

I won't be able to bend the ears due to the return edge which acts like a stiffener.

SO, two options:

1. Make Hero ear bumps out of Milliput putty, cut off the 4 bumps on SDS ears and put the Milliput bumps in their place. I saw this on the forums here, but for the life of me can't find it now.
  2. Carefully cut out the ATA Hero 3 bumps and glue them onto the SDS ears.

I currently have a lego sized piece of milliput curing for the night. I will attempt to sand it to shape in the morning.

My gut feeling is to go with option 2

So.....another small issue has arisen now that I've moved onto updating the ears to Centurion.
I ordered a set of ears from ATA, and they are good quality, but they won't fit my helmet.
The ears are to short, and they have a more "humped" curve than my current SDS ears.

Current SDS ear on helmet. Pretty  minimal gaps that I could reduce further. They fit very well.

One thing I discovered as I was looking at the SDS ears: The black edging and stripe on the bumps are LITTLE STRIPS OF TAPE!!!!  Ok SDS, most of the armor is good, but you cheap out on painting stripes and use tape?!
uBJjkNp.jpg&key=1a0717faf138bba8bb874fd8d4e0eab52fc045d97f9c7f550c41ba5d4f9d59f3

rBVTBn4.jpg&key=a25e24798a0de068707df95e03323a7e955f5754267e2951a3bba7cbaf357151

YFSeb2Z.jpg&key=f07e6965f08e618424c06f4cf62f8474b36bae7062978b2c7e36fd35711db971

The ATA ears are about 1/2" too short, top to bottom. They barely reach the S seal along the bottom edge of helmet.
uXuP0JR.jpg&key=1ce5a473711e892a2bd2ef8020c7df623c86e5717f254d60d06257c275ec678a

The hump that fits over helmet cheek tubes is too pronounced on ATA ears. ATA at back of photo.
2iP1d2V.jpg&key=1221d928b39e7f4a6dd486840ae040acc8f7a13442844eb5a11931c96d3b94fe

I won't be able to bend the ears due to the return edge which acts like a stiffener.

SO, two options:
  1. Make Hero ear bumps out of Milliput putty, cut off the 4 bumps on SDS ears and put the Milliput bumps in their place. I saw this on the forums here, but for the life of me can't find it now.
  2. Carefully cut out the ATA Hero 3 bumps and glue them onto the SDS ears.
I currently have a lego sized piece of milliput curing for the night. I will attempt to sand it to shape in the morning.

My gut feeling is to go with option 2

Hiya,

The ATA ears are a more accurate shape. Also, SDS have mounted the ears way to high (probably because of the shape issue) and the ears currently sits above the rear cap line;

fbe1e452114083db87094d82f2ae02f9.jpg

They should sit on or below the line;

b16b53d9e5bbcd337969342e5fa8e00b.jpg

2ad2042bafd2dc7ea367d485e5def20d.jpg

Moving them down to a more accurate height should allow you to use the ATA ears. (Worth a try, anyway). They’ll also add to the helmet due to the better shape. :-)

Well....who knew....

I thought it was the other way around. I thought the ears were supposed to be touching the or above the cap line.

Too much forum reading. I am mixing up info.

I'll try reshaping what I have then before doing surgery.

Thanks guys. You rock!

I did some comparison of the ears installed.

Of course, since helmets are not symmetrical, the original ears sit at different heights.

The original SDS right ear is held in place in the proper position. It actually sits much lower than the left ear.

AmgerY0.jpg

rr2fY7R.jpg

The ATA ear in what would be close to it's final position.

You end up seeing more of the face plate / back plate seam, and it actually sits quite a bit lower than the SDS. Is this acceptable?

AOWK3bo.jpg

N1ra5xh.jpg

3ms6CjZ.jpg

Hey all.

Sorry for the pestering.

Anyone have insight about the right ear ATA placement seen in the photos above?

Particular info needed about the amount of space from top of ear to the helmet ridge line, and the fact there is an increased amount of front / rear panel line showing. 

I need to start carving up the left ear.

I have looked at many helmet references, and some pics show various heights of ear. Some show even more space to the ridge line than I have. I just want to know if this will be red flagged.

Thanks.

Edited by Helotech
Forgot to add info

Here is the right ear installed. Still needs painting.

Thoughts?

I may tweak the gaps if I can, but I don't want to screw it up too bad.

I'll try and do better on the left ear which is being trimmed now.

u3n5KYC.jpg

V9s4Qn2.jpg

G67x7vU.jpg

UlVGgIl.jpg

qe0mkQb.jpg

Edited by Helotech
spelling
  • Like 2

I'm back after a few days vacation with the family.

I have completed the painting of helmet details and will submit photos in a bit.

One question:

Are the Hovi tips to have a white stripe and interior as per the CRL?

I swear I saw one Centurion build thread where the approver stated the Hovi tips should be painted black and provided a photo reference. But darned if I can find that thread again.

I have seen several pics of screen helmets that have the Hovi tips painted black, with some minor wearing around the edges.

I was going to submit for EI approval last week but was too busy.

Should be done in a day or two.

Thanks!

23 minutes ago, Helotech said:

Are the Hovi tips to have a white stripe and interior as per the CRL?

Hi, I think Yes, I think the D.O.  will check your application as per the CRL states:

• Correct 'Hovi mic' aerator tips are present. Screens used shall be of a wide type mesh, with the rim of the mic and the inside white or painted white.

Cheers  :salute:

Thanks Mario.

I'm searching for that darn post where I SWEAR I read the person was told to paint the tips black. LOL

I actually prefer the black look, and from what I can tell, Han's helmet has the Hovi's painted black.

I know we have to go by a generic "basic" reference to keep uniformity, but I wish something like this could be an either / or situation in the CRL, considering I am building a Hero armor.

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, Helotech said:

Thanks Mario.

I'm searching for that darn post where I SWEAR I read the person was told to paint the tips black. LOL

I actually prefer the black look, and from what I can tell, Han's helmet has the Hovi's painted black.

I know we have to go by a generic "basic" reference to keep uniformity, but I wish something like this could be an either / or situation in the CRL, considering I am building a Hero armor.

I would suggest , try to find it and wait for the D.O. to review your application so you can explain with a solid basis.

Good luck trooper!!  :salute:

I've taken all my photos for my EI badge. The post should be up soon.

The only thing I'm waiting on is the paint to dry on my E-11. I grooved out the rear sling attachment point and installed the ring from Trooperbay. Pics coming soon.

In the meantime, here are the shots of my newly painted helmet. Sorry for the quality / color on some pics. I am anti- iPhone and use a simple point and shoot camera.

I still have to reinstall all the electronics.

I drilled very tiny holes around the edges of the black ear bump. I then touched up the holes with black paint. This will be in preparation for the installation of microphones (hearing Assist) system. You can't see the holes until you are SUPER close to the helmet.

Before someone comments on me painting the wrong ear bump. I am using the hypothetical stormtrooper rank chart you can find on the web and on these forums. I am in the RCAF, and will be getting promoted to WO within the next few months, so what better way to display my rank then on my armor? :)

i2YsDOM.jpg

GEd8K6i.jpg

jSIZCWm.jpg

Vfawzus.jpg

219fPye.jpg

qEiXZu4.jpg

Nice work, one thing I never noticed before was the different size openings between your teeth, although I don't think it will hold you up for EIB I think it may be mentioned. Could fix with adding some ABS paste, then sanding and filing.

i2YsDOM.jpgA New Hope Hero Helmet Frown 02

Holy crap on a pancake! I've been staring at that helmet for months and never noticed.

Damn your eagle eyes.

Delete this thread and hopefully no-one will notice...

Kidding...sort of...

I did a quick measure of the teeth and gaps. The center tooth is slightly lopsided to the right (as you wear the helmet), with more material there.

The gap to the right of the center tooth is about 2mm narrower than the left gap.

It would be much easier to sand off 2 mm on the right side of center tooth than add material to the left. Do you think the larger gap would be too much? The left gap doesn't look too large.

On a better note, I submitted for EI.

Let's see what the Imperial Inspection God's say...

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Helotech said:

Thanks again Mario.

I'll follow your suggestion with the D.O.

I'll plead my case and throw myself on the mercy of the Imperial Court....

Hi Dave, So my Hovi tips were painted correctly, but then I incorrectly painted the interior of the hovi white as well based on the CRL and my previous centurion build.  So then it was brought to my attention that the interior of the Hero helmet hovi tips are actually black, on the interior walls, and the tips had light weathering, so then I corrected it by repainting them black.  Hope this helps and good luck with the rest of your modifications.  Kill it Brother and look forward to seeing another approval.

• Like 1