TK I.D. Card (Galaxy's Edge)

iceknyght

8 minutes ago, TKSnake said:

On that note, let me know if you want me to try taking it apart if you want to figure out how it's made for customization purposes.

If you want to try!  I took mine apart, but only as far as the outer shell, since the main board seems glued to the acrylic and I didn't want to break anything...  If you are braver than I, and want to try to go further, go for it!  LOL!  And good luck!  :) 

• 2 months later...

Not only that, has anyone else realize the cardholder loses its grip strength?

I was ecstatic when I got it, and started using as my work ID holder right away

I have to have 2 cards to get into work: 1 for my building, 1 for my office

however, the cardholder seems to have weakened dramatically after only one week of use, and they both slide out all the time now :(

47 minutes ago, ukswrath said:

Ok I bought my ID badge who's making the replacement plates?

Damit I should have given you a shopping list :laugh1:

• Like 1

I took a look at mine again, and it looks like the clear plastic is actually starting to separate (really getting annoyed with the quality of the id holder)

If it really does come apart, I might take it apart to see how it's made, maybe attempt to do something with resin (I have some resin casting supplies)

If that does happen, @iceknyght do you mind if I use your image to play with or experiment with it?

No guarantees it's going to look good though!

On 6/19/2019 at 5:10 PM, iceknyght said:

TK-ID_Card-opt1.jpg

• Like 1

1 hour ago, JZYL said:

I took a look at mine again, and it looks like the clear plastic is actually starting to separate (really getting annoyed with the quality of the id holder)

If it really does come apart, I might take it apart to see how it's made, maybe attempt to do something with resin (I have some resin casting supplies)

If that does happen, @iceknyght do you mind if I use your image to play with or experiment with it?

No guarantees it's going to look good though!

Sure!  the acrylic they use are 2 pieces (the etched part is on the inside, which makes it smooth on the outside, and probably catches the light better)...  I tried taking mine apart, but the main electronics board was glued to the acrylic and I didn't want to break it!

• Like 1

Thanks @iceknyght

I really think mine is going to break soon, so I might as well try it? Really annoyed with that fact right now.

I'm thinking I can maybe make a mold out of one of the pieces, make 2 solid clear

and then experiment with either printing a transparency film and sandwiching it in between (easiest), manually etching one side (labor intensive), or see if I can make a mold of the art and then either etching (ugh) or painting it.

12 minutes ago, JZYL said:

Thanks @iceknyght

I really think mine is going to break soon, so I might as well try it? Really annoyed with that fact right now.

I'm thinking I can maybe make a mold out of one of the pieces, make 2 solid clear

and then experiment with either printing a transparency film and sandwiching it in between (easiest), manually etching one side (labor intensive), or see if I can make a mold of the art and then either etching (ugh) or painting it.

Yeah, if it's going to break anyway, might as well do some experimenting!  Sucks that it's already breaking, but it might lead to something better!  :D 

• Like 1

57 minutes ago, ukswrath said:

lol :laugh1:. How many time did I announce that I was going there Glen? 

Image result for stormtrooper scratching head I thought you'd gone a while ago. No drama I'll get there one day.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Daetrin said:

Man, I'd be all over seeing a run of these, even if they are made to order.

Absolutely.

When the time comes, maybe we should get Brien (@Harbinger) in the boat to make sure, we use the correct graphics. Could also imagine a 'First Order version'.

• 1 month later...
On ‎11‎/‎19‎/‎2019 at 1:34 PM, JAFO said:

Has anyone actually personalised there’s by adding a photo? I’ve yet to do mine.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Yep, got someone working on personalizing the plexiglass as we speak. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, ukswrath said:

Yep, got someone working on personalizing the plexiglass as we speak. 

Yup, saw that earlier in the thread but I was talking about the hidden photo slider.

Stumbled across this thread today, and I actually have a friend going to GE this weekend. He asked me if I want anything from there, so assuming it’s still available, I’d be happy to get some and ship them to any of you guys. Cost plus USPS First Class shipping. Now if only I could convince my friend to join me with his own TK build...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 1

11 hours ago, JZYL said:

My colleagues just came back from GE and they didn't see this anywhere. Hopefully just temporarily out of stock.

Also, I originally was going to dismantle mine since it was a bit wonky, but so far it's been holding up? 

That's weird, cause I was there a few weeks ago and they had a TON of them in Dok Ondars!  

• Like 1

On 11/23/2019 at 9:54 AM, iceknyght said:

That's weird, cause I was there a few weeks ago and they had a TON of them in Dok Ondars!  

...they also weren't big star wars fans so it was more of a "hey look where we are hahahahaha" so i'm pretty sure they didn't look too hard and avoided stores so i wouldn't screech at them for not getting a lightsaber.

21 hours ago, JZYL said:

...they also weren't big star wars fans so it was more of a "hey look where we are hahahahaha" so i'm pretty sure they didn't look too hard and avoided stores so i wouldn't screech at them for not getting a lightsaber.

Yeah, if they avoided stores, then they wouldn't have seen them!  LOL!  And Dok Ondar's is an attraction as much as a store, IMO...  There's so much to take in there!  Easy to miss stuff while you're looking at all the decorations or Dok Ondar himself!  :D 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, iceknyght said:

Yeah, if they avoided stores, then they wouldn't have seen them!  LOL!  And Dok Ondar's is an attraction as much as a store, IMO...  There's so much to take in there!  Easy to miss stuff while you're looking at all the decorations or Dok Ondar himself!  :D 

... I have a rep at my workplace now. Basically ,when I showed up as Darth Nihilus and as a Stormtrooper, upper mgmt was like "...we're like 95% sure we know who that is...."

I will definitely be looking for these this weekend sometime!  I may have to buy multiples though, as my boys will each want one - I'm specifically going to get my saber when they are not with me to avoid buying three of them.  :D

• Like 1