jsilvius - ANH Stunt Build

jsilvius

So it begins....

I've been lurking around the 501st and Rebel Legion for years at cons and other events, and now that my kid is off to college, I'm ready to take the plunge.

I've been going back and forth about the hero vs stunt build, but I think I want to do the Hero. I placed my order and now I'm awaiting my BBB arrival of ATA armor.

I've never done anything like this before, I'm a computer guy, not a builder so I'm horribly afraid I'm going to screw something up and cost myself some major money, so I'm reading all the info I can find on the forum, watching YouTube videos, and I'm awaiting my approval for the forums on the garrison (Tyranus) in my area so I can hope to find a build party or someone local who might be willing to come over and help me not screw it up. LOL

Thanks everyone for your help thus far, I'll be posting photos and updates as thing get rolling.

Edited by jsilvius
I switch to ATA as he was having is anniversary sale. I know it is untrimmed, but I've heard good things about it. Also with the cost, I was able to buy two kits so my son could build one with me.
  • Like 2

Hello and welcome aboard, there are some specific difference between the stunt and hero versions, you can find those in this doc. Also make sure you keep checking the CRL's (costume reference library) you can find TK Hero here

Looking forward to the progress, good luck

• Like 1

Yay, another Trooper. Take your time, it's your own race, and measure, re-measure and re-measure and take small cuts/trims. As you can't put it back on.

While waiting for your BBB look to start gathering your build supplies, glue, cutting implement, cut resistant gloves etc.

And above all else have fun, it can be a daunting experience (it took me a good 2 weeks before I made my first cut) but once you start you'll build your own confidence. There are also so many great resources and people on these forums and in your local garrison there to provide advice and assistance.

Good luck and I look forward to seeing your progress. TK20187

• Like 1

Congrats on your purchase. Don’t worry, many of us have been exactly where you are. Just take your time and do all the reading you can. Most of all, post lots of images of your progress and ask questions. Good luck!

• Like 1

So went through the box and I'm overwhelmed. But also excited. Couple of questions for those that have done an ATA Works armor build.
First, why is there 2 sets of "ears" for the bucket?
Second, should I have gotten decals for the bucket, or will I have to order some or hand paint myself? If I want to order, any suggestions from where?

Here is a link to my Google build collection.

https://photos.app.goo.gl/H4b4UCT7tgmgFLdS6

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

7 hours ago, jsilvius said:

So went through the box and I'm overwhelmed. But also excited. Couple of questions for those that have done an ATA Works armor build.
Second, should I have gotten decals for the bucket, or will I have to order some or hand paint myself? If I want to order, any suggestions from where?

Here is a link to my Google build collection.

https://photos.app.goo.gl/H4b4UCT7tgmgFLdS6

Happy BBB-day:dancing-trooper:The extra ears are for those "oops-moments" As for the decals, don´t know if that should have been included, probably not as they weren´t. I recommend painting yourself for the great feeling you would get of painting your own helmet or you can get templets or decals at Trooperbay.com.

• Like 1

Oh, it would help if you include the photos in the thread rather than linking them:duim:
Can do. Still trying to figure out how much is too much when sharing. :-)

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, jsilvius said:

Can do. Still trying to figure out how much is too much when sharing. :-)

Well there’s no such thing as to many photos:D

• Like 1

Well, today is BBB +1.
I'm going to try and build my Bucket today.
I've watched about a dozen videos on YouTube, for helmet building, and unfortunately, I still have zero confidence, but every great journey begins with a first step, so here we go...

PS... I also think that this build is going to switch from hero to stunt as the helmet has too many teeth. My understanding is the hero helmets only have 6 cutouts, 3 on each side, the helmet has 8. But well see when I get to that part if there is something I can do.61f2340e0e430aaa928f49ea395e51bf.jpg01d347bd6155f91f2931e1fb837c4600.jpgdd57587530ab795a39bf2e4f46adac3c.jpg

You are correct on the teeth, I did convert a Stunt to Hero but does require some heat. https://www.whitearmor.net/forum/topic/23694-hero-bucket-build/?tab=comments#comment-298339

Also just a tip but adding the tube stripes make sure you have them facing the correct way and angle, should also be a pencil width from the cheek

Image result for correct tube stripes whitearmor

Image result for correct tube stripes whitearmorGood luck with the build, looking forward to the progress

• Like 2

Super excited. The second kit arrived today, so my son has his BBB now too! One the the Garrison Armours offered to help us next weekend, so off to a great start!4ea259d86700ab8edf1fc1c19d2871af.jpg2dbee0f285de1be84752c693be837904.jpg

• Like 1

Didn't get much done today. We spent the day visiting some friends, and shopping at the hobby stores and home depot trying to get the rest of the parts I needed off of the list that@justjoseph63 provided. But I think I did okay, for a computer geek with no creative skills.14cce53d9f93ea8cf69119796a47b67c.jpg7b88cf70e3febce0593d821c5cbe9557.jpg9b40c204a007579a656657c2596c5687.jpgb109b8df96038052dd74bc7fc9163249.jpg80912b16d3fe16cb074def2e85919229.jpg

• jsilvius changed the title to jsilvius - ANH Stunt Build
On 6/15/2019 at 12:06 AM, jsilvius said:

"First, why is there 2 sets of "ears" for the bucket"? 

It is more that likely that you have a set of "Stunt" ears and a set of "Hero" ears.  The difference is that the Stunt has 4 raised ridges on the "bump" and Hero has 3.

oXlyre8.jpg?1   Q5leAHb.jpg?1

"Second, should I have gotten decals for the bucket, or will I have to order some or hand paint myself? If I want to order, any suggestions from where?"
If you didn't receive decals with your kit (some armorers supply them, some don't) you can order a set.  Just be sure that you order ones that have a "hand painted" look as required for ANH.

ANH Stunt/Hero                                                    ESB/ROTJ

iHKIiAx.jpg?1  p1PSRpl.jpg?1

If you want to go the decal route, these are what I would recommend:  https://trooperbay.com/dave-m-helmet-decals

This set also includes the tube stripe decals**

**As per the new CRL standards, note that tube stripes:

• Ideally, the tube stripes are positioned approximately a pencil width from the side of the cheek.
  • Fall of tube stripe tops ideally lean toward the front.

Qqn3mJF.jpg?1   A7KK5HH.jpg?1

If you have basic painting skills you can do them yourself (which is what I suggest).  They don't have to be perfect.  Just try to make sure the outside lines are not too thick.

I noticed that you did not cut out the 4th tooth.  (GREAT job on the others)!  Are you aiming for Hero?

hQ3h4CQ.jpg

For basic Stunt approval and above, Frown is painted gray and does not leave the teeth area Eight total teeth on the frown are cut out.

X1el9Pp.jpg?1     

For basic Hero approval and above, Frown is painted gray and does not leave the teeth area.  Six total teeth are cut out and frown is tapered at both ends.

EM3Lrph.jpg?1

• Like 2

ATA supplies 2 sets of ears because they can be tricky to trim for the first timers ;) 

• Like 1

ATA supplies 2 sets of ears because they can be tricky to trim for the first timers  
Thank you for that. The folks at ATA got back to me and said the same thing.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, gmrhodes13 said:

ATA supplies 2 sets of ears because they can be tricky to trim for the first timers ;) 

Thank you.

ATA Works got back to me and said the same thing. They are normally really good with communication, I was just being impatient and figured I'd ask the forum members and see if anyone know. 

3 hours ago, justjoseph63 said:

"First, why is there 2 sets of "ears" for the bucket"? 

It is more that likely that you have a set of "Stunt" ears and a set of "Hero" ears.  The difference is that the Stunt has 4 raised ridges on the "bump" and Hero has 3.

oXlyre8.jpg?1   Q5leAHb.jpg?1

I noticed that you did not cut out the 4th tooth.  (GREAT job on the others)!  Are you aiming for Hero?

hQ3h4CQ.jpg

For basic Stunt approval and above, Frown is painted gray and does not leave the teeth area Eight total teeth on the frown are cut out.

X1el9Pp.jpg?1     

Thanks @justjoseph63, both sets of ear have 4 bumps ATA emailed me back and said it was because folk tend to screw these up the first time. :-)

I guess they have dealt with enough of us Noobs that they are being proactive. LOL, so it looks like I have to go Stunt.

I'm curious about the teeth thing because based on the reference pics, only two of them show 8 teeth and you can clearly see that the 4th one on each side in the pics was just painted over in the others. I didn't want to force the issue trying to get the fourth on on the viewers left side of my face plate if I didn't need to, but if you think I need to do that to get approval, I'll make it happen.

Thank you for the feedback, it is very much appreciated!

So, I think I'm heading in the correct direction, but I'm worried about the gap on the sides. And per@justjoseph63's suggestion I cut out the 4th gap on each side of the frown.

Any input appreciate.1d20e3da731084a6e15661de95da0b1c.jpg784c1a9ec4b31a97a70547115af9c150.jpgea2555c86cad77cbb6bf19aa360de4cc.jpg384295773b10c0a3c83c4d121535f40a.jpg88e635c72a24ea091397f45f16e1fe78.jpgf30fae51daad8b03aaf38e9e85bd65a6.jpg3bcf15058cf6a98eb012005b1fd54a06.jpg6384934beeb641fbee0e9eb6fe43007a.jpg4040bb3d87889a0f7d50249f6822413b.jpg