What would you pay for to see with your bucket on?

If there was a way that could be built that would give you 360 vision and be able to see your feet while standing straight in Armor, What would be the top end price you would pay?

Drone Goggles 

4 USB Cams

Small Laptop in back plate

1 forward 720p

1 forward fisheye

1 rear fish eye

1 flir Camera mounted behind teeth

Total cost approximately $1000

Seeing everything around you priceless

Seeing in the dark OUTSTANDING!!!!!

side note must have small head

Very cool idea, I'd love to see a working example! The cost is too much for me, but I also don't need to see 360 degrees around me. I would be happy with just a simple view in front of me.

Does you set up completely block the normal view out of the helmet lenses? One issue I would be concerned with is the tech failing mid troop and not being able to see anything.

• Like 1

Visor worn inside helmet - yes there are some that are that small

Small laptop - Back plate

All audio goes through laptop

1 HDMI cable to helmet 

Following out of interest, but personally I see decent enough I wouldn't bother.  I do have friends and fellow members who would be very interested based on price, too.  

• 2 months later...

I can barely get my bucket on as it is.  I can't imagine being able to get it over a set of goggles, as much as I'd love to have the better vision.

I second the opinion of front-only being nice.

• 2 months later...

Hi guys,

This called my attention. I have a couple of observations as ideas for improving size and cost, having worked on stuff similar to this for my degree. you can fit LCD shutters (samsung smart TVs use similar stuff for 3D glasses) on the visor easily enough, with a micro usb camera on the teeth, all wired to a Single Board Computer like an Aaeon UP Squared or an Nvidia Jetson/Xavier (depending on specs I would go for Nvidia because of real-time graphic processing), they can fit on the back plate just the same with a 3Dprinted case and you could have the whole thing working for $500 at 1/4 the size and weight for extended periods of time with a lithium ion battery for power. It could work for an entire troop no problem. size on the helmet would be minimal depending on the camera used because lcd shutters are extremely thin.

Let me know if you have any questions and would love to see a prototype.

Best Regards

Javier

• Like 1

I'd like to see a prototype.   Right now my helmets are infamous for being spartan, e.g. I have a single pad at the top of the dome, mesh is taped in with painters tape, lenses are similar. I mean it's pretty raw.  I keep thinking about putting vox/fans in my helmet, but personally I don't like boom mikes or having wires run down my collar.  One of my garrison mates was able to get everything 100% contained in his lid, which I thought and still do that it's the ideal.

I'd love to hear your ideas on how to improve vox as well, as ideally I could have a toggle that would allow me the following:

* No augmentation
* Speaker
* FRS or similar so that anything I say can only be heard by others listening in
* Cell phone

Even if I had to have a chin toggle, e.g. I pushed a button or similar with my thumb to a switch in the helmet chin, that would be fine.  

• Like 1

7 hours ago, DarthVader87 said:

Hi guys,

This called my attention. I have a couple of observations as ideas for improving size and cost, having worked on stuff similar to this for my degree. you can fit LCD shutters (samsung smart TVs use similar stuff for 3D glasses) on the visor easily enough, with a micro usb camera on the teeth, all wired to a Single Board Computer like an Aaeon UP Squared or an Nvidia Jetson/Xavier (depending on specs I would go for Nvidia because of real-time graphic processing), they can fit on the back plate just the same with a 3Dprinted case and you could have the whole thing working for $500 at 1/4 the size and weight for extended periods of time with a lithium ion battery for power. It could work for an entire troop no problem. size on the helmet would be minimal depending on the camera used because lcd shutters are extremely thin.

Let me know if you have any questions and would love to see a prototype.

Best Regards

Javier

A prototype would be awesome. Ideally it would be small enough to be contained within the helmet, but I don't know if that would be possible. 

My coworker has been playing around with a lot of VR headsets and one of them has several cameras on it so when you wear it, you are still able to see the environment around you (although it was in black and white). I wonder if something like that would be possible (if so I can't imagine it being cheap).

4 hours ago, Daetrin said:

* FRS or similar so that anything I say can only be heard by others listening in

This would be very cool to have - how many times have you been at a troop looking for a particular trooper or trying to organize the troopers for a picture, but people can't hear you or are too far away.