Exhibition of Cosplayers from Marginalized Groups

Techne

Hi there folks.  I've been a TK for several years now, but I also happen to be an art professor.  I teach at Syracuse University.

I am particularly interested in getting the professional art world and the academic world to pay more attention and respect to the world of costuming. 

My school is having a faculty exhibition this fall.

What I would like to do with my space in the exhibition is show images of people who would consider themselves part of a marginalized group within society, and who in some way use their cosplay to make themselves more visible, or to combat standard social notions of their identity. 

If you feel like you're a part of a marginalized group--you can define it however you like, but certainly that includes people of color, immigrants, women, LGBTQ+ people, people who face religious discrimination, people who are neurodiverse and face mental or emotional challenges, people who are “disabled,” and people whose bodies don’t fit within supermodel norms--then send me a photo with:

• your name
  • your character name
  • the name of the photographer
  • and an explanation of how the costume connects to your identity.

The costumes can be Star Wars, or anything else.

The 501st obviously works with a lot of people who are marginalized due to sickness, so I expect you might know people who costume with disabilities or health issues that might be interested.  If so, pass this on to them.  And my experience as a middle-aged dude whose body is turning on him as he ages is that a lot of us don't look like supermodels, but like to show off our costumes anyway.  Anyone who just feels like they don't fit in, but costuming helps them feel normal, special, more visible, or more respected would be a great fit for this project.

You can message me with your photo and info through this site, or email me at cwildric@syr.edu

There's a longer explanation of the project here: https://chriswildrick.com/portfolio/call-for-photos-of-cosplayers-battling-marginalization-through-their-cosplay/ 

Questions? Let me know! Thanks.  If this call for participation in an exhibition isn't allowed here, my apologies.

Have you thought of posting this on the legion boards, you may get a bigger response. Strike that I just noticed you did.

You could also reach out to the legions diversity team ldo@501st.com

• Like 1