mjrose927 Requesting Pre Approval Review (FX)

1.  First/last name:  Michael R.

2.  Future Garrison/Squad/Outpost or local area:  Great Lakes Garrison

3.  Armor maker:  FX w/ TD from Trooperbay, TD clips (bent) from PandaTrooper

4.  Helmet maker:  AP

5.  Cloth belt maker:  Kittel

6.  Neck seal maker:  Geeky Pink's Phantastic Gaskets

7.  Boot maker:  Caboots

8.  Interior strapping (optional):  Me

9.  Blaster maker (if applicable:  N/A

10.  Gasket maker (if applicable):  N/A

11.  Height  (optional):  5'8"

12.  weight (optional):  185lbs

13.  TK type (ANH Stunt/Hero. ESB, ROTJ. TFA etc.):  ANH - Stunt

14.  Name(s) of any Trooper(s) who significantly helped with your build.

-  In person, Al Tong on multiple occasions

- Facebook:  James Anderton, Dave Araujo, David Ashcroft, Vern Beezer, Rebecca Beiderwell, Sha Sha Chu, Rat Ferrell, Jose G. Garcia Jr, Jeff Leone, Nicholas MacNeil, Teresa Nuthall, Dave Tinsley, Mike Souza, Tim Waychoff,  PLUS so many more...... sorry to those I did not list....

- Forum:  Wook1138, TheSwede, fragarock, Digz Graavs, CableGuy, Dark CMF, VaderDave

c2eda57f15aa2fc8bef1565d70a5aabb.jpgb37886db2172e7458e2f36fa658416a3.jpg8c188e5c1de9071d8e1724841fc49809.jpg737dfc4ef9cdd34fb9da150ac6ed42ce.jpgd6c5646eae795be52eea47ea726b0c3d.jpg988b400e0887551cf1a865b23200afc2.jpg88bbd0b5b5807c9c9af17c799c3ccc61.jpg672cba64c394088b19671c256887155b.jpgb30d004a8112941a1dbbee88d0ffa8a5.jpg

Edited by mjrose927

Hi Michael!  You have a few issues that will more than likely be brought up by your GML and a few that may not.  As per the CRL for Basic approval, "The greaves (calves) close in the back".  This is done via Velcro or hooks.  The thighs also have this same requirement and should be permanently closed (glued) in the back, and yours look to have a pretty good sized gap.  

The rear cover strips should ideally be centered on the backs of the thighs, as shown in green.  It appears that you have quite a bit of space in the tops, so they could be cut down/brought in to closer achieve this.

As mentioned, your GML will make the final decision but there are some minor fitment issues that should be easy to adjust to help you look your best.  The front cover strips on the thighs/calves should (again.. ideally) line up, and the gaps on both sides of the cod would look better if they are consistent.

Hope this helps, and I hope to see you as a new TK proudly serving the GLG  and the Empire soon!

hTTBc4B.jpg  fUuPny7.jpg    GbSgGSy.jpg

5 hours ago, justjoseph63 said:

Hi Michael!  You have a few issues that will more than likely be brought up by your GML and a few that may not.  As per the CRL for Basic approval, "The greaves (calves) close in the back".  This is done via Velcro or hooks.  The thighs also have this same requirement and should be permanently closed (glued) in the back, and yours look to have a pretty good sized gap.  

The rear cover strips should ideally be centered on the backs of the thighs, as shown in green.  It appears that you have quite a bit of space in the tops, so they could be cut down/brought in to closer achieve this.

As mentioned, your GML will make the final decision but there are some minor fitment issues that should be easy to adjust to help you look your best.  The front cover strips on the thighs/calves should (again.. ideally) line up, and the gaps on both sides of the cod would look better if they are consistent.

Hope this helps, and I hope to see you as a new TK proudly serving the GLG  and the Empire soon!

Thank you for the feedback.  I will find a method that will work to keep shins closed in the back.  I will try velcro as suggested.  I will permanently glue the thighs.  The glue did not hold without an reinforcing cover strip on the inside of thighs.  I have already started to fix thighs.

As for centering the coverstrip on the back of thighs, I am not sure that will be possible with my FX kit.  Looking at your comments, I do think that I can trim them down some more to make them fit my frame better.  However, the only side that I can trim to do that is the inside half.  If I want to keep the cover strip centered in the front, I do not think that the seam on the back will move much towards center.  However, I will do my best to improve upon current state.  I used FX kit EIB approvals as a guide when I was  putting mine together.  I saw similar issues with rear centering on some of them as well.

Yes, when I was at Motor City Comic Con, someone suggested using foam on inside of leg pieces to keep them aligned and more centered on legs.

I plan to do some more trimming on legs in the areas you suggested to get more even gaps to abs and butt plates.  Walking around at the convention highlighted some of those areas. 

I appreciate your time and feedback on my kit.  Please, do not take my comment about thigh trimming as pushing back or negative.  When I was assembling the thighs, I wanted them to be even and centered as well.  I had trouble figuring out a way to achieve this.  I finally just moved forward thinking it is in the back and will not be seen or obvious as much.

For the shin velcro, if you use sticky back, I would also suggest using E6000 or similar glue for extra hold- the sticky back, even industrial strength, often doesn't hold up to our repeated stress of use.  Also, if you live anywhere that gets hot, the glue can melt over time.  

• Like 1

Here are updated pictures where I have corrected some of the above items. I have added Velcro to keep shins closed. I have trimmed left thigh to fit more similar to right I have glued thighs closed and added padding to help with rotation and alignment to shins. 994ba5245941dddddfe7b000fd1247b8.jpge0b558b136bfdacf655bb6c5eefe99f1.jpgc1453e10566815b9b8bc24de38018c57.jpgc71aca8ddddd24ebc2a23824fed59ad5.jpg533c5c2de6f12f634d869c073735051f.jpg01a971e505d930da3c5957215b26071c.jpg1dcf466130f5ae58ff60e934c009e0b6.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Though it probably won't be a hold up for basic, the read cover strips on the shins should stop at the ridge while yours are going all the way to the edge at the top. Your new photos look good to me otherwise.

1 hour ago, lucnak said:

Though it probably won't be a hold up for basic, the read cover strips on the shins should stop at the ridge while yours are going all the way to the edge at the top. Your new photos look good to me otherwise.

Thanks for your comment.  Someone on facebook made the same comment.   I am most likely going to have to trim the tops of the shins in the back for more mobility anyway.  So, this will probably disappear in that process.  I appreciate your feedback.

• Like 1

With your thigh ammo strip it should be attached in the top corner on the lower ridge and have a rounded bottom corner.

vSIy7yP.jpg?2

With your thigh ammo strip it should be attached in the top corner on the lower ridge and have a rounded bottom corner.

vSIy7yP.jpg?2&key=8d058402af429dd6baa3f343bc6b5ab3bf76081278064e5d0a9b7dc981322795

I am not sure I can do rounded corner. The ammo pack from FX kit did/does not have the length of belt you are showing there. I can try to fix attachment, but how do I fix current hole then?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

4 hours ago, mjrose927 said:

I am not sure I can do rounded corner. The ammo pack from FX kit did/does not have the length of belt you are showing there. I can try to fix attachment, but how do I fix current hole then?

I would check with your GML (garrison membership liaison) in regards to whether it would be passable as it, personally I would not allow it.

To fix the hole you could use ABS paste, here is a how too

• Like 1