Galaxy's Edge - Props Build

gmrhodes13

We have our yearly convention coming up at the end of June and I'm always looking to build something new for the public to see and as many of us down under won't get the opportunity to get to see Galaxy's Edge I thought it could be nice to replicate a few thigs we've seen so far.

709th legion banner and also the new Star Wars style aurebesh Coke and bottles.

Reference

yhmkMJ5.jpg

Now this was a bit of work, of course I couldn't find any fonts that exactly matched so I had to photoshop a few different versions together. FO Emblem and helmet weren't an issue as they are standard and I was able to find them on a google search, shame I couldn't find larger versions though as they are just a little soft/pixely on the edges.

I prefer using the pull-up banner stands rather than flags as they are self standing and don't require any fixings but I'm thinking I may still do a flag in case there is hanging room. Have a fellow member who works at an Officeworks store who can get printing down at discount which saved some $'s and here it is.

zxrO3Bo.png

Coke reference

2RizeAn.png

So the first thing was to replicate the font, again it was a matter of photoshopping a few different fonts as well as using the iconic Coke font. Had to print a couple of pages to get the right size, roughly measuring from computer screen. I was pretty happy how they turned out, not exact but pretty close.

qPKJBYG.png

IFHEoGQ.png

Next was to find orbs, half an hour walk around the shops and found some plastic orb solar garden lights roughly the right size, $4 each. Indecently we've never had the Coke round bottles here but did notice while searching they've been a thing at some Christmas's in the US.

Next was the tops, no way I could have found these locally so it was time to put the new 3D printer and software to work. Enlarged the images with the girl holding the bottle on screen and roughly sized and designed from there, next printed just under 2 hours each, not exact but I'm pretty happy with them. 

ArdMRsp.png

Painted the orb's with a base silver, once dry added strips of black decal sheet to emulate the dark lines (I gather these are clear and can see the Coke inside). Next cut out the printed wording, added clear tape on top, gave them multiple cuts on the ends to help them bend and applied. Lastly the paint, I used acrylic water based paint, found them really easy to use when weathering my Sandy so used the same principals with them. Once rubbed back and weathered I sealed them with a clear coat so the weathering won't rub off.

That done I tried find a box similar, no way I was going to find the exact box and I really didn't want it that big. Happy with a similar box I gave it a light sand and applied a few coats of red enamel, once dry in was on to weathering. While drying I made a couple of bent strips of aluminium, when you take of the lid you can turn it around and with the aluminium strips you can stand the lid up showing the logo. That I made once again merging fonts, printed out on paper, the cut out, traced around those on white decal sheet and then cut out and applied, was a bit of work but nice way to spend a rainy day inside.

KPIl7lH.png

Also made a base plate for inside the box so I don't have to completely fill the box, covered the plate in chrome finish decal sheet which should help reflect the fake ice I'm waiting to arrive. I've also got some blue EI wire which I may use underneath the fake ice but will have to see how much it shows through before final fitting it.

Jhi5RB9.png

All in all I'm pretty happy the way it all turned out, I wish I'd taken more photos but I was just head down an too busy building.

WJBAXub.png

Will update once the fake ice arrives.

Got a few more things I am thinking of putting togther but we'll see how the design stages work out, works in my head :blink::laugh1:

• Like 5

Dude you seriously need to come to the states I'll put you to work finishing all the costumes I don't have time to build :laugh1:

Stellar work as always :th_AnimatedBravoSmiley:

• Like 1

• 5 weeks later...

Well the fake ice arrived and was tiny and covered about 1/8th of the base so after trying a few different things I've made some out of clear cellophane, will do for now, still looking at adding some lights under the ice too.

DiGULRO.jpg

Still waiting for some door switches to arrive from China, they must be coming by slow boat, been 8 weeks already. Door switches? well someone is going to get a surprise if they try to pick a drink up ;) 

• Like 2

Amazing stuff as usual Glen, going to need a demo video of the door switch alarm lol.

4 hours ago, Sly11 said:

Amazing stuff as usual Glen, going to need a demo video of the door switch alarm lol.

Cheers Andrew, will definitely have an a demo once it's all finished :D 

As promised here's the update.

Door switches arrived but as expected the spring tension was too tight, ended up replacing and using some springs from some pens, worked out I needed one and half springs.

0gWl07W.jpg

Cups to hold the coke and water attached also door switches.

zXQg0AX.jpg

Aker amp and mp3 player attached

8oXBrKH.jpg

Wiring added and cut off switch attached.

xfOfl32.jpg

And assembled, anti theft device complete

• Like 5

Truly one of the (pardon the pun) coolest things I have seen here, Glen.  What's next, a blue milk vending machine?  Bantha jerky? :)

• Like 1

Glen you should send a photo of this to someone at Disney advertising. You never know it might land you a contract making or designing stuff for them, or get free goodies, or maybe even a trip to GE ;). Disney LOVES fan based anything that promotes their products. They thrive on it.

Edited by ukswrath
  • Like 5

Thanks for the kind words guys, did have a quick look for a Disney contact but hard to find a direct email.

Have 2 more weeks to put the finishing touches on some background props, most of which I find at a the local tip shop (recycling centre) so they don't cost much to build it's only time and I've got plenty of that these days.

Not accurate but I doubt younglings will know ;) 

gr7Pm9U.jpg

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Supa Nova is this Friday so just doing some final details for the Galaxy's Edge Batuu area, Ewok trophy, a couple of flags I've seen posted from the park made from some material I had lying around and some iron on bond and a few lights and a clip on awning. Lights are made from the internal draining plate from hanging pot plants and clear light covers are from a Nutrabullet food processor all with a little rusty weathering. Now I just have to remember to get another light globe ;) 

Thanks to the local Tip Shop (recycling centre) so many things I see can be repurposed for the Star Wars universe, they love seeing things repurposed and love the progress pics, mentioned we do a lot of charity work so get a nice discount :duim:

Will post up some more pics of the display once it's all together this weekend.

P2OLFxz.png

qy6eNNi.png

pITBpfe.png

0fRuyJv.png

Looking forward to seeing photos of the complete ensemble in situ at Nova.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 1

A few of the last bits have arrived, wasn't even sure they would get here in time, was a last minute idea but this is why I get merchandise produced in China, 1 week turnaround from order to delivery.

500mm X 1200mm

8oHhnQu.png

• Like 2

Just playing with some small things to fill up the wall space, some menu's, wanted posters (given a bit of aging) and made some coasters, images downloaded, printed and glued to either side of some thick cardboard then coated with some acrylic clear to stop the ink smudging.

K3G8ynb.png

J3K1vKJ.png

16 hours ago, gmrhodes13 said:

A few of the last bits have arrived, wasn't even sure they would get here in time, was a last minute idea but this is why I get merchandise produced in China, 1 week turnaround from order to delivery.

500mm X 1200mm

8oHhnQu.png

I want the 709 banner, how much and shipping to US?  ;)

Seriously I want it :icon_bow:

2 hours ago, ukswrath said:

I want the 709 banner, how much and shipping to US?  ;)

Seriously I want it :icon_bow:

I may very well do a run of them, I'm sure they'll work out cheaper than buying from the mouse ;) 

The material they used does crease easily so when they where all folded to fit in the bag it took a hell of a lot of spray starch and ironing to get most of the creases out but some are still there, if I had more time I'd try washing, drying and ironing again, I'm waiting to hear if they have a another fabric which doesn't crease as much. 

• Like 1

You will give Galaxy´s Edge a run for their money with your very own theme park:

- Q´s Down Under Adventure Land - 

In a galaxy far far away….                (not sure you can use that last bit though:P)

• Like 1