Tote for TK. Opinions?

Just bought this  40 Gal tote. I would like to eventually add lining / padding inside, so the armor can be well protected. 

What do you guys think? Great size overall, or? Opinions, ideas? Let's see your tote. 

I wanted to fit eveything inside, and for about 24 dollars, I thought it was decent. It has wheels, and it isn't heavy. 

#MoreProgress 

:)

6e356663d1c5e7c4ee92d15e9705df92.jpeg.jpg

• Like 1

I used one once then swapped to a suitcase, it's a little more compact and fits in the car easier, I have one of the larger tote's and first troop was up stairs and it was a pain carrying it up, suitcase is much easier. Arms go inside shins, then shins inside thighs, then thighs go into front/back armor clamshell, fits in a suitcase really well. 

I used one once then swapped to a suitcase, it's a little more compact and fits in the car easier, I have one of the larger tote's and first troop was up stairs and it was a pain carrying it up, suitcase is much easier. Arms go inside shins, then shins inside thighs, then thighs go into front/back armor clamshell, fits in a suitcase really well. 

Out of curiosity any chance we can get a pic of said suitcase

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I actually have a few of these.  I have my TI and IC gear in one and I use them for camping with the Scouts.  I believe my TK stuff would fit in one with no trouble, but I already have that all packed in a Husky box.

9 hours ago, Frank75139 said:

Out of curiosity any chance we can get a pic of said suitcase

I have several, soft and hard cases, really depends on what costume I take as too which case I use but TK is in a hard case just like Dan's above, BUT I only use black or very dark grey :laugh1:

24 minutes ago, Frank75139 said:

Didn’t think it would all fit in a suitcase

Mine are the largest sizes which I think described as 78 cm. Depends how you pack too ;) 

• 1 month later...

I don’t use a tote to move my armor around...I use a backpack type travel carry case for a car seat.  You can Google pics.  Very mobile, comfortable and inexpensive.  Just an option.

I don’t use a tote to move my armor around...I use a backpack type travel carry case for a car seat.  You can Google pics.  Very mobile, comfortable and inexpensive.  Just an option.

Interesting. You get a whole TK in there? With helmet? If it’s handy I’d love to see a pic of the armor packed in there. I have a hard tote but for space saving possibilities I’d do the switch.

That's the tote I use for my TK and Dengar.  Fits nicely in the SUV and is easy to get around with.  Got it at Target on sale for like $9 can't go wrong!

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Frank75139 said:

Got a pic of a TK packed in there?

TK and Dengar.  I keep the helmet separate in a bag these days but it'd fit in there too with a little planning.

IMG_20190616_202331.jpg

IMG_20190616_202423.jpg

TK and Dengar.  I keep the helmet separate in a bag these days but it'd fit in there too with a little planning.
IMG_20190616_202331.thumb.jpg.6ef4938cf37260c33cab163e7b61d0b3.jpg
IMG_20190616_202423.thumb.jpg.743f9e18adbf724056db463ce6c205f1.jpg

Thanks. I like seeing how people pack. A year into this and I’m still trying to figure it all out. I’m not exactly happy with how mine fits.

• Like 1

I keep the chest/back clamshell connected.  Stuff the forearms in the knees, the knees in the thighs, then the thighs inside the clamshell.  Biceps in the shoulders to save space, then gloves/boots/etc sits in the extra room :)

you can use a smaller case if you keep helmet separate and take it all apart.  But I'm much too lazy for that!

I need to use a smaller Sterilite 16 gallon footlocker bin from Wally World to fit in my small trunk.  Like other's have said, being creative with packing it all up is key.  I've heard it described as being just like Tetris.

AfnRjod.jpg

tZBCWgu.jpg

Edited by wingnut65
  • Like 1

I like the big wheels of my Husky case, even though it's heavy.  For troops where I can't fit my bin (very rare), I generally just opt for a simpler costume, rather than messing with repacking everything.  It's easy to toss everything into the 50gal Husky bin, including extras, a substantial repair kit, helmet, etc... I could fit even more if I left out the padding, but there's really no need with a bin this size.

I experimented with a lot of packing options, but have settled on this as the best comprise among ease of packing (with minimal disassembly), protection of the armor (I have 1/4" sheets of foam between each layer, and wanted to be extremely protective of the shoulder bridges so they're not under any strain), and fitting everything I need in there.

Bottom layers: main clamshell halves, offset for betting protection of the shoulder bridges (also boots in the corners, not pictured)

20160614015200-159410b7-me.jpg

Next layers: Thighs, shins, arms, etc, all nested:

20160614015154-3f0acb8b-me.jpg

Next layers: Pretty much everything else, including helmet:

20160614015203-e67ad647-me.jpg

There's even room for a (plastic) mirror mounted in the lid!  Super handy.

20170114003950-1e4684c6-me.jpg

• Like 5

On 6/17/2019 at 3:07 PM, wingnut65 said:

I need to use a smaller Sterilite 16 gallon footlocker bin from Wally World to fit in my small trunk.  Like other's have said, being creative with packing it all up is key.  I've heard it described as being just like Tetris.

AfnRjod.jpg

tZBCWgu.jpg

This is what I've used for my TD and my TI. I can fit my entire TD (without the helmet) in there.

• 1 month later...

Like Sarah I use the same sterilite bin and no real issues, but yes packing is key. I'm getting ready to do a Magma build and looking at how I can get it into a smaller bin.

Sent from my VK815 using Tapatalk

• 4 weeks later...

If your helmet is being packed separately, you can get away with a lot of options.

Personally I use a 50 gallon big-an impolite person bin like a lot of others.  I pack a lot of repair crap as well, so I like having the extra space and a tray for tools, my chargers, a collection of patches/cards/stickers.  Even my big camera bag will fit. as well as my son's Jawa.  I'm hoping to be able to get my TK and my Tusken in there at the same time.

Yes, it's heavy and awkward, and if you don't have a van/SUV then you're not taking it with you. 

As far as lugging it around, the vast majority of places are handicap accessible so I just use the ramps and elevators.  I get a lot of great questions and conversations going as well.