Blackfrown72 Anovos FOTK build

MaUukog.png

So far, this is working,pretty well. I tried one with the mixer/applicator tip and it just dried up inside the tip. This stuff allows me to mix up just what I need and apply it. It's also readily available at my local Home Depot. Just have to be very careful of overflow when clamping parts together.

yadKEl8.jpg

mb98BWc.jpg

3bXF6ik.jpg

7WlilKU.jpg

yWbG1YB.jpg

jrrboyo.jpg

DL5Ecbu.jpg

aIjGEuX.jpg

AYDGgDF.jpg

HUTiECa.jpg

nT7z6Ju.jpg

Because this kit is pre trimmed, it is relatively easy on the assembly. Since I have never built anything like this, I decided to start with something I felt was pretty easy but still somewhat challenging for me. So forearms it is. I didnt detail the painting,of the resin parts but, I used the Anovos recomended rattle can to paint the parts I needed and then glued them on after the assembly. They turned out pretty good and I learned a little regarding glueing in the process. One recommendation....when applying the Velcro to the forearms....I am not using 3 pieces as recommended by the Anovos instructions. I am using 2 toward the back of the forearm (near the elbow) and leaving the front open to be able to slide my hand in. 

Edited by BlackFrown72
Explanatiin
  • Like 1

Personally I would go with glue rather than Velcro as there is a large gap in those sides, be interesting to see how others are tackling the use of velcro

• Like 1

11 hours ago, gmrhodes13 said:

Personally I would go with glue rather than Velcro as there is a large gap in those sides, be interesting to see how others are tackling the use of velcro

Those are things I can go back and change after the fact. For myself, since Ive never built any armor at all, I'd rather make a mistake with Velcro than with glue. There is only one area that I'm planning on doing differently and that is the chest. The instructions call for gluing the chest down at the top and bottom of the under chest and Velcro in the middle. I may shoot for the magnet route here instead. 

I’d say velcro entirely comes down to ease of putting it on or so, but for forearms I’d also recommend glue for the long run just because they really should slide on no problem.

Looking forward to the progress!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

6 hours ago, FN-1313 said:

I’d say velcro entirely comes down to ease of putting it on or so, but for forearms I’d also recommend glue for the long run just because they really should slide on no problem.

Looking forward to the progress!

If these were built like other forearms Ive seen, that might be ok and you could definitely glue toward the back instead of Velcro however, when test fitting these, I quickly realized I cannot fasten them at the front near the wrist with anything other than Velcro, snap, magnet, etc. or else my hand will not go through. So I decided to leave them loose at the front much like other forearms are left unglued just enough to be able to get your hand in. The gap really isnt that bad at all.  Anyone can do as they please for sure but, I'm just saying, unless you have really small hands and are a very thin build, be carefull how you fasten these forearms. 

1 hour ago, BlackFrown72 said:

If these were built like other forearms Ive seen, that might be ok and you could definitely glue toward the back instead of Velcro however, when test fitting these, I quickly realized I cannot fasten them at the front near the wrist with anything other than Velcro, snap, magnet, etc. or else my hand will not go through. So I decided to leave them loose at the front much like other forearms are left unglued just enough to be able to get your hand in. The gap really isnt that bad at all.  Anyone can do as they please for sure but, I'm just saying, unless you have really small hands and are a very thin build, be carefull how you fasten these forearms. 

Really comes down to if your GML allows them for 501st approval as they do go by the CRL's and the accompanying reference images. 

Remember Anovos hasn't created these kits for 501st approval, they've created them for ease of assembly ;) 

12 hours ago, gmrhodes13 said:

Really comes down to if your GML allows them for 501st approval as they do go by the CRL's and the accompanying reference images. 

Remember Anovos hasn't created these kits for 501st approval, they've created them for ease of assembly ;) 

I totally understand all of this and I do sincerely thank you for looking out but, I'm building this kit as is with the intention of substituting parts from another vendor for approval. I like the way the Anovos parts look however, I completely understand there are pieces of this kit that will not be approved as is (seams and all) so, I will be building another set of forearms, chest/yoke and torso and color matching to the Anovos parts.

:popcorn:

Sorry for the late Greg, following you on the Anovos group, got side tracked. Looking good brother

Edited by ukswrath

Here's a little more progress. Shins and spats. I'm not doing Velcro closures on these. I will be doing magnets on most of my closures going forward and that will take place after most of my parts are glued together. 

I did not follow the Anovos instructions on the spats. They call for the greeblie side to be glued down and I dont like that look so I am following Ukswraths build for the spats.

Also, beware if you are using the supplied templates for placing any resin parts on the armor. The templates are not to full scale. 

YZqwspN.jpg

JebvCwe.jpg

2wIqwwZ.jpg

QYkTcrQ.jpg

IfhCEvH.jpg

8x7iXch.jpg

cVc1wRO.jpg

IRz7hyt.jpg

CcgJgRj.jpg

pDoX5Ix.jpg

AiB9ZPn.jpg

oF4KwKe.jpg

• Like 2

10 hours ago, ukswrath said:

Looking good so far Greg

Thanks Tony. It's taking some time but I'm actually enjoying it so far.  This kit is a novice builders dream. I think the magnet closures, strapping and harness will be my biggest challenges. That is until I start work on the outsourced parts. That's a different ball game but hoping this build will help prepare me for when I get to that point.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Ive had a lot going on so progress has been slow.  Had the biceps done for a bit now and forgot to post pics so here they are.

I'm currently beggining work on thighs and shoulder bells but, need to purchase more magnets and glue. Pics on those pieces to come as soon as I make a little more progress.

mCUhOyH.jpg

yMyeMcu.jpg

49s71VM.jpg

IdSVzO2.jpg

fCJEvdZ.jpg

CPKbqQC.jpg

7YS12Sh.jpg&key=28123599f4911a2326c4fb651d6eed2b34bfc176ecb4efca55872245dd29b3a8
First test fit of bicep and forearm with gaskets. I am quite pleased so far. 

Looking good, one thing that I just feel sharing from my armor experience is the higher you can have your bicep rest the better, it will help arm movement and shoulder bells from slipping. Your build looks fantastic man! Can’t wait to see it finish up!

11 hours ago, FN-1313 said:

Looking good, one thing that I just feel sharing from my armor experience is the higher you can have your bicep rest the better, it will help arm movement and shoulder bells from slipping. Your build looks fantastic man! Can’t wait to see it finish up!

Totally agree on bicep fit. Not only for movement but, to me, it also looks better. 

Since I'm starting work on the thighs, I need to do a little prep work on the holster. I decided to reverse engineer the Anovos holster and create an aluminum version. Not that the Anovos holster is in any way bad. I just wanted it even sharper and more durable. I'm using glazing putty to fill in the seams so it will be one solid piece when I'm finished. 

8ZxsVQ4.jpg

1fgOAN9.jpg

KuDvebF.jpg

NCDs02H.jpg

fpn8tMr.jpg

Still work to be done but, I think the metal version looks much tighter. 

• Like 2

20 hours ago, BlackFrown72 said:

Since I'm starting work on the thighs, I need to do a little prep work on the holster. I decided to reverse engineer the Anovos holster and create an aluminum version. Not that the Anovos holster is in any way bad. I just wanted it even sharper and more durable. I'm using glazing putty to fill in the seams so it will be one solid piece when I'm finished. 

Still work to be done but, I think the metal version looks much tighter. 

Nice job :jc_doublethumbup:

I would very much want one of those if you decide to start selling them. I'm in Alabama and the exchange rate and shipping out of the UK and Germany makes the aftermarket ones a tad too pricy