TKNick8350 Anovos Armor to TK ESB

TKNick8350

What's the question on the kidney shims?  I shimmed mine... it's pretty simple, as long as you have the large pieces of scrap left over from your rough armor cut.  Otherwise, color matching is going to be an issue.  Details on my method are in my build thread, linked in my sig.  (and note that I did it twice, as I wasn't happy the first time, but you'd be well-served to read both).

On 6/14/2019 at 4:36 PM, kman said:

What's the question on the kidney shims?  I shimmed mine... it's pretty simple, as long as you have the large pieces of scrap left over from your rough armor cut.  Otherwise, color matching is going to be an issue.  Details on my method are in my build thread, linked in my sig.  (and note that I did it twice, as I wasn't happy the first time, but you'd be well-served to read both).

I saw a page where somebody shimmed but kept the second seam line. People say the Anovos is built for skinny people and I have some gap showing (thanks to all the cooking I like doing) But I am also getting back in shape. I’m wanting to not mod mine radically, as seen on some Anovos builds, so when i start shedding the pounds, I can trim off the shim, and when I no longer need that shim so that kidney can touch the Ab plate. 

With the scrap, while moving all my scrap was trashed (thanks hun) but I got some plate from Trooperbay for the meantime. It’s looks bright white, but won’t be noticeable only to me and builders.

22 hours ago, TKNick8350 said:

Now I have more inspiration to getting all done, we have a long ways to go until Celebration, but I’m happy I gotten my 1st and Second day pass! Hope to meet you all!

I'll be there Friday and Sat

2 hours ago, TKNick8350 said:

Friday will be my first troop day at Celebration. I’m “gitty!”

Awesome looking forward to meeting so many of you

8 hours ago, TKNick8350 said:

Hopefully its great weather, not triple degree temperatures...lol I might need to rig a camelback to fit in place of the back armor for hydration.

Well it's August in So Cal, be prepared for anything lol

On 6/21/2019 at 9:33 AM, TKNick8350 said:

I saw a page where somebody shimmed but kept the second seam line. People say the Anovos is built for skinny people and I have some gap showing (thanks to all the cooking I like doing) But I am also getting back in shape. I’m wanting to not mod mine radically, as seen on some Anovos builds, so when i start shedding the pounds, I can trim off the shim, and when I no longer need that shim so that kidney can touch the Ab plate. 

With the scrap, while moving all my scrap was trashed (thanks hun) but I got some plate from Trooperbay for the meantime. It’s looks bright white, but won’t be noticeable only to me and builders.

You might want to check out my build, because that's exactly what I did with mine.

The shim plates are glued in with E6000 so I can remove them if needed, and swap in (hopefully) smaller shims if I lose weight.

You can't get to Centurion without using ABS paste to erase the seam, but it's fine for EIB.

20160606014718-c8aee0fd-la.jpg

Details in my build thread, linked in my sig below.  Note that I did it twice, for reasons, and you'll likely want to follow the second effort, but the first try has some good info as well (which wasn't copied into the second part), so I'd read both.

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...
On 6/23/2019 at 4:59 PM, kman said:

You might want to check out my build, because that's exactly what I did with mine.

The shim plates are glued in with E6000 so I can remove them if needed, and swap in (hopefully) smaller shims if I lose weight.

You can't get to Centurion without using ABS paste to erase the seam, but it's fine for EIB.

Details in my build thread, linked in my sig below.  Note that I did it twice, for reasons, and you'll likely want to follow the second effort, but the first try has some good info as well (which wasn't copied into the second part), so I'd read both.

Thanks bud sorry it has taken along time to respond back, I’ll post on the Anovos Facebook page today!

• Like 1

On 6/24/2019 at 12:59 AM, kman said:

You can't get to Centurion without using ABS paste to erase the seam, 

That's really unfair, in my opinion!

Lots of folk want to achieve Centurion with their armour and some types of plastics don't work well with the paste. I think if you do a neat job like Kman has done here, that should be more than good enough.

2 hours ago, troopermaster said:

That's really unfair, in my opinion!

Lots of folk want to achieve Centurion with their armour and some types of plastics don't work well with the paste. I think if you do a neat job like Kman has done here, that should be more than good enough.

Thank you for the compliment. :)

Hopefully those other plastics have another way to erase a seam (ABS paste is just one of many possibilities... the goal is erase the seam, not specifically to use ABS paste or bust), otherwise larger troopers who aspire to L3 might want to consider a different kind of armor that either fits them without need for a shim, or which is easier to alter to L3 requirements.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Hello, after a long hiatus waiting for my parts to come in from Imperial Boots, I finally gotten my Strapping kit and TK boots. Gorgeous! Then I officially went back to work on my suit!

Anovos Trooper

I have done a test fitting. Didn’t do any trimming at the front because it might fit to tightly if I trimmed? But here are the pictures from the mirror.

Anovos Trooper

Anovos Trooper

Anovos Trooper

As you see, my calves are big due to cycling and being on my feet for 8 hours a day for work.

Went ahead and assembled.

Anovos Trooper

love those earth magnets! 

Finised product.

Anovos Trooper

The only thing last will be the back cover strips that where not glued on. I am going to do that after placing the bra straps when it’s time to do all the straps on the armor.

I took off the the return edge of the sniper knee plate, lined it up the center as best as I can glued and clamped it, left alone for 48 hours.

Anovos Trooper

Anovos Trooper

Now to start strapping the torso. My plan, is to completely strap the torso snap everything in, and to get a good measure in how much I need to shim my kidney to my Ab plate so, I have started the brackets, thank to UKSWRATH tutorial, they came out great! 

Anovos Trooper

I have a lot of people saying this is bad due to how thin the armor is, for me I love it! Plastic is easy to repair. 

Anovos Trooper

Keep tuning in....we have 393 days left to Star Wars Celebration!

Looking good, drop box straps should be a shorter, you only want enough space so they can move.

A lot of people using the metal bracket system add extra strips of abs behind to add a little more strength, they can crack the armor very easily.

Any gaps you may still have between joins (bottom of thigh back) you can add a scrap piece of ABS behind so it's not so noticeable, some use ABS past and sand/polish.

Keep up the good work

40 minutes ago, gmrhodes13 said:

Looking good, drop box straps should be a shorter, you only want enough space so they can move.

A lot of people using the metal bracket system add extra strips of abs behind to add a little more strength, they can crack the armor very easily.

Any gaps you may still have between joins (bottom of thigh back) you can add a scrap piece of ABS behind so it's not so noticeable, some use ABS past and sand/polish.

Keep up the good work

I’ll keep that in mind about the drop boxes. I have not made progress on the belt yet. But that will be next after the strapping. I been wanting to find somebody who can build me a ESB centurion belt, if not, my fiancé and I can try our best in to assembling the belt. I need a some tools to help me. 

Thank you for your help and suggestion. 

Just a tip for the shins: The longer edge goes on the INSIDE of the leg, counter to what most would guess.  I think you were wearing them backwards when they were taped up, and they were also swapped in the finished photo.

Definitely reinforce those brackets on the inside.  Anovos armor is very thin, and the screen-used bracketing system is hard on thin armor.

1 hour ago, kman said:

Just a tip for the shins: The longer edge goes on the INSIDE of the leg.

Welp, gotta fix that one, no biggie. But I did see UKSWRATH reinforcement on those brackets, and going to wait after approval, and do the mods needed.

Thanks for pointing that out!

Edited by TKNick8350
  • Like 1

17 hours ago, TKNick8350 said:

Welp, gotta fix that one, no biggie. But I did see UKSWRATH reinforcement on those brackets, and going to wait after approval, and do the mods needed.

Thanks for pointing that out!

You know, I just realized that you already put the sniper knee on.  For some reason I was focused on the earlier photos, and thought I had time to warn you, but no.

So it's your call, really.  As long as they seem to fit you ok, it's one of those teeny tiny details that only 5 FISD members out of 100 would even notice, let alone the general public.  Definitely doesn't affect approval, even all the way to Centurion.  So it depends on how much it bothers you (if at all), as to whether it's worth fixing.

2 hours ago, kman said:

You know, I just realized that you already put the sniper knee on.  For some reason I was focused on the earlier photos, and thought I had time to warn you, but no.

So it's your call, really.  As long as they seem to fit you ok, it's one of those teeny tiny details that only 5 FISD members out of 100 would even notice, let alone the general public.  Definitely doesn't affect approval, even all the way to Centurion.  So it depends on how much it bothers you (if at all), as to whether it's worth fixing.

I went ahead and fix the shins. They look better since you pointed it out! Thanks :duim:!

• Like 1

48425170331_74263844af_b.jpg&key=59105c396c5d9f36abd49783d52af0b4848bf0f662847075a79e710a65a1d707 Here’s a good question, How much return edge is recommended on the shoulder bells?

The return edge is subjective.
In the film many of the suits had no return edge on the biceps, I left a little on mine as it gives the impression of some thickness to the armour.
In the end your comfort is also important so if the parts are sized and fit well you can leave some return.
The only parts stipulated in the CRL to have no return edge at the higher levels are the wrist end of the forearms.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Like 1

What Sly said.  There's no rules... however it fits you best.  I like some, visually, but if it's causing problems with fit, have no compunction about removing some or all.

Personally, I'd recommend leaving it like you have it, and waiting to see how everything fits together, once you have the rigging done.  If all is well, no need to remove more.  If you need to tweak anything, it's an easy fix, and doing it later doesn't cause any harm.

• Like 1