TKNick8350 Anovos Armor to TK ESB

TKNick8350

This weekend I didn’t get a chance to work on my armor. With the San Jose Sharks looking hot and I working in retail (full time grocery clerk) this weekend was the busiest week. Today I had to work 10 hours due to not having the right labor to cover me, so I had to close. UGH. So while my fiancé  was was watching “Worst cooks in America,” I thought I get the thigh put together.

32894277757_f1403d3e53_b.jpg

More to come when I have the time!

Edited by TKNick8350

10 hours ago, TKNick8350 said:

This weekend I didn’t get a chance to work on my armor. With the San Jose Sharks looking hot and I working in retail (full time grocery clerk) this weekend was the busiest week. Today I had to work 10 hours due to not having the right labor to cover me, so I had to close. UGH. So while my fiancé  was was watching “Worst cooks in America,” I thought I get the thigh put together.

More to come when I have the time!

GO SHARKS!

I’ll tell you what, the left thigh is a royal pain. So slowly gluing at both ends, then slowly working my way to the middle of the thigh, Hope it pays off. 

47852934871_0cfdee8e3a_b.jpg

bottom

47852935401_7809e7643d_b.jpg

upper

47063437284_abe9734c4b_b.jpg

The lip that is not glued in yet.

47852935241_2fc8934fa3_b.jpg

Now glued.

Onward.... Solved the issues with the ATA pieces. Don’t use the forearms, use the hand guards only! Anyone who needs them, pm me. 

I did not like how my cover strips looked like when installing my Anovos forearms, I took a lot off at the corners. Since the Ata sheets are too white, I can use strip 39 (D) to make new ones.

47063438464_b544fc1c27_b.jpg

The reason why, is because the back thigh armor covers are not wide enough. So if best, recycle those strips that came with the kit and use as new cover strips, keeping the armor looking uniform and matching in color. This strip will also give me more to also fix the bicep

cover strips. This way, the only things to me that will look off, but will be corrected with paint, lightly feathered, is the handguards, extended kidney plate, and the widen back

cover strip of the rear thigh armor. 

Youtube is a great source for those who are in need of tips..sh*t I learned a lot about airbrushing Star Wars and Gundam kits and they have become amazing display pieces.

But thanks to TK-11697 this was a better way for me to work on my thighs. 

I know it’s a WTF armor, but it’s going to be best for me to get these assembled. I am either need to be a 2 inch wide or 3 inch wide in the back, I am still awaiting my ABS sheets from Trooperbay.....except. USPS in Fresno shipped it to Oakland? Why does USPS in Fresno hate me so much? Every time!

47800936502_356d171fd5_b.jpg

Really?

In the meantime! Hope all is well!

Until then!

All thighs glued together, I have a gap on the left thigh, but this assembly was a pain. I did the best I could. Trooperbay sheets are coming in today. So I’ll start working on shims and coverstrips. The top cover will need to be trimmed and rounded.

40890315773_c2f484d06f_b.jpg

I see some left thighs on some troopers, with a gap. Should I leave? Or fix it? Or is it my preference? I do have a slip with the blade that will need to be pasted and sanded.

1 hour ago, TheSwede said:

I would glue a piece of scrap ABS on the inside and use some paste on the outside with a toothpaste consistency:)

ABS paste works great, though I've also used tub and tile filler on a couple armors, So long as the color matched it works beautifully, not to mention there's no gluing, sanding or painting. Oh and the armor is ready to wear in 30 minutes lol

• Like 1

I normally cover the scrap abs with thinner and let it dissolve, if you leave the lid off the acetone will evaporate so once you have the right texture make sure you store it in an airtight container 

Made new cover strips, with rib-style shims. The shims are 1x5 inches.

47859474781_58433ff30c_b.jpg

47807087312_17f2ca280f_b.jpg

Placed ribs in boiling water.

40892844473_d0d528355b_b.jpg

Placed first rib on thigh. Once cured, will move up with the middle.

47859474691_4c67dc79b3_b.jpg

How the strip will look like.

Feel free for any advice for me! Can’t wait to work on the shins soon....

47859532981_a38ee63424_b.jpg

Theirs always trial and error, last post was an error. 

So strip the parts off, and did it all over again. Refit the the thighs again. Great thing I have a lot of material to work with, except I keep loosing my earth magnets...and I am learning a lot about myself through this process. I have both thighs clamped up and bondage with blue tape.  I will need to adjust the back left thigh, I’m noticing that the bottom is not leveled. With the other thigh. I fixed an area that had a gash, paste and letting it be over night. Will fill in gaps when I have more matching material left over. I was thinking white e6000, but I think it would not look right.

47076998914_4df699a4fd_b.jpg

33989189418_13341212c5_b.jpg

47866519291_72ea5d7aae_b.jpg

32922329557_c357b14e7d_b.jpg

33989189298_a812deedf0_b.jpg

I swear my kitchen stovetop has been better to work at instead of my model room. More light to work with..

Edited by TKNick8350

33 minutes ago, TKNick8350 said:

Any suggestions on how to fix this? The E6k is having issues with the lower butt side of the thigh. 

E6000 should do the job so make sure you apply a thick bead of glue and clamp it for a good 24 hours (48 is better)

It looks as though the thighs are still curved where the joints are that may be making gluing the flat strips difficult. You can add reinforcing strips to the lower ridge (rear knee) to make it secure.

Trimming the ends of your joining strips should always be done prior to gluing. It just makes it so much easier but I don't think it's a requirement? Some of the original armour strips were squared off.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, troopermaster said:

E6000 should do the job so make sure you apply a thick bead of glue and clamp it for a good 24 hours (48 is better)

It looks as though the thighs are still curved where the joints are that may be making gluing the flat strips difficult. You can add reinforcing strips to the lower ridge (rear knee) to make it secure.

Trimming the ends of your joining strips should always be done prior to gluing. It just makes it so much easier but I don't think it's a requirement? Some of the original armour strips were squared off.

Thank you, I was having sit over night, for 12 hours, I’ll do it again, let it sit more than just 8-12 hours.

Since you’ve talked about trimming the edges, I was going to go and add a reinforced strip in the inner thighs as pictured. This might help keep the parts in place while I have to remove the cover strip. Hoping inside mods are accepted to keep leg and thigh armors sturdy during a troop.

47823551202_27b471c0bf_b.jpg

This Friday, getting my boots and accurate straps from Imperial boots.

Saturday, will be my first armor party, so I don’t want to drag around a bbb In my truck and to a party and back. Was looking at one of these. Anybody have this one and where can I get foam to get it insulated? 

40911928333_1304bc79c7_b.jpg

I have redone my back thighs tonight, and will be leaving them alone until Tuesday (48 hours). 

One question?....Magnets, what size earth magnets do you recommend and how many? 

Edited by TKNick8350

18 hours ago, TKNick8350 said:

Hoping inside mods are accepted

They are:duim:

11 hours ago, TKNick8350 said:

where can I get foam to get it insulated? 

Local crafts store, ebay, amazon to name a few.

11 hours ago, TKNick8350 said:

Magnets, what size earth magnets do you recommend and how many? 

The more the merrier:dancing-trooper:Kidding aside, a good base would be around 50 of 20x3mm.

• Like 1

I find on areas that are still a little curved that the cover strips need more pressure to hold them, use of clamps and masking tape can help this, when you apply the cover strip hold with clamp then apply pressure to the thighs and wrap tape around, this will help hold them until the glue dries. 

• Like 1

Been a long week, with a family member having a heart attack and not having a day off since last Wednesday and yesterday being my day off, I gotten some stuff done. Minor stuff. I was going to go to my first armor party, but with my future mother in law having a heart attack and my fiancé dad having a triple degree temperature, there’s very little I can do. But here’s the minor things I did on my day off.

Did some repairs on my biceps. I took some material off by mistake a long time ago, so I fixed it. (Somebody recommended what grits to use while sanding down ABS paste to a smooth touch?)

47929345178_b9fd20733a_b.jpg

Also rounded the coverstrips, didn’t like my angle cuts, looked like crap.

47929347343_9a12f1ceba_b.jpg

Heres what they looked like before...

47929342492_e193a3bc64_b.jpg

I plan to dismantle the left arm, add the new cover strips, and repair my bicep. Yesterday purchased my boots and accurate straps from “Imperial Boots.” That will take four weeks to come in. That gives me time to get all the arms and thighs done minus shins, will wait when boots come in. In the meantime. Back to it before seeing Avengers today!

One more to add, the clamshell handguards, tutorial how to cut them properly?

Edited by TKNick8350
  • Like 1

The angle cuts were accurate, but the way you have it now should be fine, too. :)

For sanding the ABS paste, I'd start with, say, 200, and work your way up.  Make sure you have enough built-up material to remove, since 200 will remove stuff pretty readily, but you want to get a feel for it.  It's not unusual to need multiple passes of sanding and re-building.

Can't help you on the paint.  I haven't compared personally, but the photos I've seen, I have yet to see anything off-the-shelf truly match Anovos.  Only the custom mix stuff.

• 2 weeks later...

up next... kidney mod.

48041340813_1da84a2813_b.jpg

48041404927_32db2c4ca2_b.jpg

Will have to widen it. Saw this post this week. Do they still allow this build on the kidney plate? Mind I do want to loose more weight, but I don’t want to heavily mod with a shim, and paste. Can anyone chim in?

Also, whom do I ask for a commission on making my belt in to an ESB belt?

As for your shim question, I don't think so but you can ask your garrison GML since they'll be the one approving you at basic. As for the higher levels of approval the seam is allowed however, the rivets need to be in the correct locations.