ANH TK Stunt Build (First Time)

MrS1gm6

Afternoon,

So earlier this year I finally made the choice that I was gonna dress as a plastic spaceman.

Four months and plenty of research/tool gathering late, my kit has arrived. So I figured the best place to start was here since this is my first kit. The only two things that I've managed to have time to do are the helmet and the gloves. My kit is from AM Armor Masters.

Helmet Pictures:

pvYDCAp.jpg

vlguwXo.jpg

VLn85Ez.jpg

CnWvgy9.jpg

P2zXZQA.jpg

Inside:

RdQljcJ.jpg

3ryLlem.jpg

So, how did I do? I'd be happy to fix what I can before I dive headfirst into the rest of my kit.

• Like 1

The build looks good. Question on the frown paint though. Are you going ANH or ESB? If ANH you'll want to clean up the "lip" area as only the teeth should be painted. If you're going ESB the paint needs to be black and not grey.

Sent from my VK815 using Tapatalk

Hi Jared, welcome to FISD!

You're off to a great start. The research ahead of time is invaluable and keeping an up-to-date build thread will let all these fine folks guide you and your kit to screen-accurate greatness. Post lots of pictures!! :D

Your lid looks real good. Rat is correct—as an ANH TK you'll want to remove the paint from the edges around the frown and leave only the teeth painted. Additionally, the black paint trim around your ear squares could probably be a little thicker, and I for higher levels of approval you'll want to paint one of the ear bumps black (either the first or last one). Here's mine for reference:

p5ORTSl.jpg

Have a great time with your build!! :salute:

Nice work, some teeth references:

Thanks Glen. I still need to make a folder for reference photos.

Sent from my 5054N using Tapatalk

Thanks for the heads up on the frown! The reference I've been using makes it look as though the frown was fully painted. Shouldn't be too hard of a fix, though!

2 hours ago, Rat said:

The build looks good. Question on the frown paint though. Are you going ANH or ESB? If ANH you'll want to clean up the "lip" area as only the teeth should be painted. If you're going ESB the paint needs to be black and not grey.

Sent from my VK815 using Tapatalk

I am going with ANH. It's interesting to me the slight differences between the movies though. I had no idea the teeth were painted black in ESB

I forgot to mention that I had also gotten most of the painting out of the way first before I started sticking parts together all willy-nilly like, so here is the other things I managed to get done!

Gloves: 

y2tjB1k.jpg?1

Chest Panels:

d4KR8t5.jpg

Please note ^^ these are getting touched up soon.

Edited by MrS1gm6
  • Like 1

A great read in regards to different version TK's https://drive.google.com/file/d/10tEVteIreh6AHMogW010cuH_Bf8TBfU6/view

• Like 1

Yeah each of the OT frowns are different. ANH grey teeth, ESB black teeth and ROTJ the entire frown is black, as you have them now.

Sent from my 5054N using Tapatalk

Welcome aboard!

Get ready for the nit-picking. It's what we're good at LOL.

The paint on your ab buttons ideally should not go past the rounded part of the button (i.e. nothing on the flat parts).

I'd check the paint on your vocoder as well.  You'll most likely need to remove some from there.  It looks like pretty straight lines but should follow the actual mould lines.

The bottom screw on your helmet ears should also be countersunk.

I'd trim the screws in the helmet shorter.  The ones on the mic tips look deadly,

15 hours ago, MrS1gm6 said:

Please note ^^ these are getting touched up soon.

Here´s an example for you, notice how the panels have no return edge and reside within the mounting area:salute:

jbSo9vi.jpg

Hi Jared.  Looking good.  The troopers above already pointed out a few things.  For touching up paint - I used a toothpick and a little paint thinner - the paint rubs right off.  Are you aiming for Centurion? 

7 hours ago, wook1138 said:

Hi Jared.  Looking good.  The troopers above already pointed out a few things.  For touching up paint - I used a toothpick and a little paint thinner - the paint rubs right off.  Are you aiming for Centurion? 

As of right now, I am just aiming for basic. I am looking to upgrade to Centurion once I've got everything all together!

I'll have an update this weekend out covering touch ups on the paint. Also, I am going to start working on the legs while the new paint sets. 

Anyone have advice with thigh and leg armor before I start? 

Always refer to the gallery section before building ;) here's just one of them that shows legs, not the cover strip stops above the lower ridge on the thighs: https://www.whitearmor.net/forum/gallery/album/15-lucas-film-archives-tkcaleb/

StormtrooperBodyArmourComparison-20.jpg

Decide if you wish your calves to close with Velcro or hook elastic method. Make sure they close from outside over inside so the opening is not seen from the outside

StormtrooperBodyArmourComparison-12.jpg

Example of using Velcro: https://www.whitearmor.net/forum/topic/27206-back-thighs-and-shins-ap-armor/

Hook eye elastic method: https://www.whitearmor.net/forum/topic/43801-hooks-for-shins-question/

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Update Time.

Life's been busy the last couple weeks, so I haven't gotten much done. However, today I had some free time so I got to work on getting some smaller parts of the build.

Here we go.

Thermal Det. (Currently Drying):

eKFzVxH.jpg

Abdomen Armor Buttons (Sanded and Installed):

1hqGoGv.jpg

And finally, a shin. (Sniper Knee Side):

998KWJS.jpg

Please note, I'll be installing the sniper knee soon, just hadn't gotten to it before work.

The helmet has been repainted. Thanks to everyone who pointed that out and provided plenty of reference pictures. Hopefully, I'll be able to dedicate a little more time to the pile of white plastic that is my future suit. 

Hey Jared!

You're making good progress!  Slow and steady wins the race every time.  :)  

A couple things I noticed on your recent photos:  Your smaller ab button plate looks like it could still use some more trimming around the edges.  Ideally, it should be flat against the ab plate.
47735731002_5bdcb094d0.jpg

The smaller ab button plate is really narrow, actually!  When placing it on the armor, you should be able to see the "cleavage" at the bottom and underlying ridges around the base of where you're mounting the plate.
jbSo9vi.jpg&key=e6c5732eeb77e3d80e71721f

The ridges along the front of your shin are a bit too wide.  The front cover strip looks good to me- that should be about 20mm wide (give or take).  There should be a few millimeters of ridge showing along either side of the cover strip.  It looks like you have a few centimeters there.  This should be an easy fix by taking a little more off of each side of the shin joint at the front.

46998853314_888f617800.jpg

gallery_12157_15_46342.jpg

Keep up the good work!  :salute:

• 7 months later...

Been awhile, hasn't it?

Life got pretty busy since I last posted here, but I still wanted to give a big thanks to everyone's tips. Like I said, this is my first build so I'm learning the ropes slowly but surely.

Anyways, I haven't made a lot of progress on the build, but I'll fill in on what I have managed to to fix on my helmet. Being the most complete thing on the suit so far, I've been doing my best so far to make sure it's as polished as it can be.

On 4/24/2019 at 3:19 PM, Rat said:

If ANH you'll want to clean up the "lip" area as only the teeth should be painted. 

The lip has been 50% fixed, the bottom has been repainted and now I need to do the top to match. 

On 4/25/2019 at 7:43 AM, Digz Graavz said:

The paint on your ab buttons ideally should not go past the rounded part of the button (i.e. nothing on the flat parts).

I'd check the paint on your vocoder as well.  You'll most likely need to remove some from there.  It looks like pretty straight lines but should follow the actual mould lines.

The bottom screw on your helmet ears should also be countersunk.

I'd trim the screws in the helmet shorter.  The ones on the mic tips look deadly,

The screws on the helmet have been trimmed, the ab buttons have been cleaned up and the vocoder paint has been refined a little bit. Having trouble posting pictures but they'll come in once I figure it out. 

Also, I figured out that I skipped an important step in putting the leg together. I forgot to take the return edges off, and for some reason forgot to fit it directly to my leg, which is why I couldn't manage to make it feel comfortable, so that's going back to the workbench for now. 

Anyways, I'm excited to get back into the swing of things and start my build up again. As always, any tips (and nitpicking) is appreciated.