helmshandcrafteds build thread.

Posting my build thread here because apparently, I started it in the wrong place. Wtf kit, BBB day today, have boots, undersuit, neckseal and holster already. Still need a belt, gloves and centurion level boots. My boots will get through basic but not centurion. Below is the unboxing and the beginning of trimming.   

https://imgur.com/gallery/Ob60NpT

Looking forward to the progress, if you post separate image links into your post it will be good for receiving feedback, use the 'direct link' or just copy and paste directly in to your thread

V1NX17x.jpg

So what’s the consensus on return edges on the arm portions of the armor? I’ve kept some on pretty much ALL of the armor while trimming, I realize that most of it will be trimmed even more.  This picture shows the return. It has to be virtually non existent on the arms correct? 

https://imgur.com/gallery/CXMMsHN

Congrats on BBB day!!

The only place that no return edge is allowed is at the wrist (for upper level approval).  Otherwise the return edge is up to the person wearing the armor.  Myself, I don't like it and removed all of mine for comfort.  Plus, many of the reference images and screen shots do not show much return edge if any on the arms.

for example...

Good luck on the build!

As mentioned, return edges are not needed in many places.  Keep in mind that in several places they can actually cause "armor bite", which means that they can cut into you.  Some troopers like the "thicker" look return edges give, but I'll sacrifice looks for comfort any day!  Areas of concern include the tops of the thighs, tops of the forearms and bottoms (sometimes tops) of the biceps.

As Greg noted most of the screen used pieces listed above did not have them, and removing them will not affect approval at any level.  BUT, if you decide to remove them (recommended) be sure to do it before final fitting/gluing.  Otherwise, the piece will be loose if you do it afterward.  I am adding some screen used armor pics below as examples.

Lastly, as Glen brought up you will get a lot more help if you post your photos directly on to your thread.  I see that you are using imgur, so all you need to to is click on the photo, and when the options list pops up on the right select "Direct Link", copy and paste it right here.  Easy peasy.

Hope this helps, keep the questions (and photos) coming, and don't be shy about asking all the questions you want!

Sides of chest/back                                                          Shoulder bell                                               Wrist opening

dqzYpb4.jpg?1     QBYQQ7M.jpg?1  fxnMt0q.jpg?1

x9bZS64.jpg?1    sPbqzFP.jpg?1

Would be easier if you could post photos directly to your thread instead of to a gallery off site ;) 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, gmrhodes13 said:

Would be easier if you could post photos directly to your thread instead of to a gallery off site ;) 

Ok so you’ve criticized how I’m posting photos 3-4 times already and I’m doing exactly what you’ve told me to. 

Ok so you’ve criticized how I’m posting photos 3-4 times already and I’m doing exactly what you’ve told me to. 

Hi Derek,

Are you using the Imgur App or a desktop computer?

Best wishes
Dan

8 hours ago, Helmshandcrafted said:

It's not criticism it's trying to help you receive feedback, it's a little hard to do so when images aren't seen here, you need to either select "copy" and then paste into your post or copy the "direct link" to each of your photos and paste them into the post. 

7KBPyJi.jpg