StarTrooper’s ATA ANH Stunt Build (Aiming for Centurion)

StarTrooper

Coming along nicely. You will be amazed the amount of extra vision you have trimming the insides of the eyes.

A couple of references

DaveMANH01.jpg

A New Hope Stunt Helmet Eyes 03

Hey everyone!

I have been hard at work on my bucket, so prepare for a pretty lengthy update.

First, I assembled the helmet using the screws supplied with the ATA helmet kit.

cr1CC08.jpg

p9EJVAH.jpg

Then I ran out to the store, and purchased Testors 1138 Gray, which was the color mentioned on the paint diagram.

0sFZWnx.jpg

(1138...coincidence?;))

Then I also purchased this mineral spirits for removing the excess paint. It works very well and I highly recommend it.

17t9uTr.jpg

So I started painting on the frown as well as the traps.

07qaFap.jpg

I think it turned out quite well, just a few touch ups needed.

UKCMEk3.jpg

T1XN0Ut.jpg

yHC91t0.jpg

Question: the brow is very straight until it starts to angle down on this side. Should I trim it off? Although I am worried that it might not line up right with that back ridge.

s24v4M5.jpg

And that is pretty much it.

Until next time

P.S. Three pages YAY!:smiley-sw013:

• Like 1

Hey everyone!

Here's a quick update.

First, here is the helmet almost completed

4TOIr0J.jpg

I've done a ton of work on the ears.

7g8CZvF.jpg

7qbGinp.jpg

They're sitting pretty flush, but they still need a bit of work done, especially at the bottoms.

4TOIr0J.jpg

Also, for this ear, should it be scooted forward a little bit? Or is it okay as it is?

Wy40SmC.jpg

And about my question about the brow earlier, it ended up being pretty much fixed by the screws in the ears.

Now for a list of things remaining to do, as I am now just putting on the little details:

Finish trimming and paint ab buttons.

Finish shoulder straps

Work a bit more on the sniper knee and thigh ammo

Assemble belt

Get rubber gloves for latex hand guards

Until next time

10 hours ago, StarTrooper said:

Also, for this ear, should it be scooted forward a little bit? Or is it okay as it is?

Hi Jayke, the ear is fine:duim:

I would like to Echo Q and suggest you trim the corners of the eyes more and also see if you can tighten the screws on the ear to close the gap:salute:

Ge85Ubq.png

• Like 2

Hey Daniel, sorry this reply is late, my computer that I normally use has stopped working.:unsure:

Anyway, thank you for the advice, I used a screwdriver on the ears and that helped suck the ear in a bunch, so now it looks so much better!

I also got around to opening up the eyes, although I might go a tiny bit farther in the future.

uWC1BfR.jpg

58 minutes ago, StarTrooper said:

ear in a bunch, so now it looks so much better!

Ear looks perfect:duim:

59 minutes ago, StarTrooper said:

although I might go a tiny bit farther in the future.

Not to be nagging but you really should:)

• Like 1

Hey everyone!

It has been a little while, but progress has been made.

First off, sniper knee is completed.

6EzYMa2.jpg

kbtm60b.jpg

4OIRpRP.jpg

Next, I will show a small belt tutorial, as I have almost completed it, I just need to finish trimming the screw covers.

First, mark and drill the holes on the plastic belt. Make sure these holes are centered.

CRht8a8.jpg

After that, center the plastic belt on the canvas belt.

zR5GqQC.jpg

v6nYyfr.jpg

cmjo0gR.jpg

Make sure you align the corners of the plastic belt to the canvas belt.

Next, mark the holes with a pencil.

wcGT04Z.jpg

QkqCE2F.jpg

6sNqvTD.jpg

Then, punch the holes with a hole punch.

Insert the screws with this side facing out, so that you can take the plastic belt off the canvas belt if need be.

fqOSiJH.jpg

Screw in, and then this part is done.

Next, cut the elastic for the drop boxes. Leave a little extra as you can always cut it off.

Abnz796.jpg

Align the two ends, and use a hole punch.

TYHfZBK.jpg

Then, for this build, I am using Chicago screws for the drop boxes as well.

fmlEGiu.jpg

IazYfGP.jpg

What I did, was sandwich the inner drop box with the two elastic ends.

hiKh0Kq.jpg

8pJTo7v.jpg

After that, put the outer box on over the inner box.

GKIlcCU.jpg

And, done! All that's left is to put the covers on.

NPgyht5.jpg

Here is the mannequin, looking very cool.

ZrLYcTI.jpg

Until next time

• Like 2

Coming along nicely, for L3 you want your drop boxes to align with the end of the plastic belt section, a few dabs of E6000 can help hold them in place ;) 

7 hours ago, TKSpartan said:

Looks good, keep on doing a great work mate!!  :jc_doublethumbup:

Thank you!:smiley-sw013:

30 minutes ago, gmrhodes13 said:

Coming along nicely, for L3 you want your drop boxes to align with the end of the plastic belt section, a few dabs of E6000 can help hold them in place ;) 

Thanks, I will make sure to do that soon.:duim:

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...

Hey everyone!

I apologize for the long break, I fractured my collarbone and life got insanely busy for a couple weeks, but now I am back for another update.

First off, my black Testors 1139 arrived, and I was able to paint the black details like the vocoder and the Hovi mic tips, as well as the black outlines around the gray.

I'm quite happy with my paint job, but it could still use a little touch up.

1xAgWjM.jpg

Ws0XXpb.jpg

I also applied the S-trim, although there are a couple wrinkles in it. (Also you can see some blue tape in there holding the lenses in. Still figuring out a way to permanently attach them)

SMKppGc.jpg

Next, neck seal from Darman's Props arrived (thanks Justin for the link!).

zvfjX4Y.jpg

It is very comfy and looks great!

Also, near my house there is a fair, and since I consider my armor "Halloween-Ready", I decided I'd take the armor for a quick test drive. (My brother came with me as Kylo Ren. Future 501st member? We shall see...:laugh1:)

773DCec.jpg

GkhQxWw.jpg

It was a huge hit, and I had 35-40 people ask to take pictures with me, and I was only there for about 40 minutes! I enjoyed most seeing the other people's reactions.

I do need better gloves as I am using cheap costume gloves, but I will order those soon, probably Nomex flight gloves on Amazon.

Until next time

Edited by StarTrooper
  • Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

Hey everyone!

My goodness its been a long time, and unfortunately not as much progress as I would have hoped has happened.

But little progress is still better than no progress, so lets get to it!

First off, Nomex flight gloves for trooping arrived, and boy are they comfy.

lYaEm9K.jpg

I also applied tube stripe stickers, which I will be switching out for hand painted ones soon. I realize how it looks so much better with the tube stripes.:D

jOJuqz9.jpg

Also, about a month ago I went on a troop to a trunk or treat.

R0N6TSa.jpg

Again super fun, but now I realize I have a glaring issue, and that is with the chestplate.

It drops down way to low, but I have just installed the crotch rivet so I hope that it will pull the back down and the chest up.

wYs4zyw.jpg

Also here a nice shot that I took of my helmet.

0l3xUPG.jpg

And that is pretty much it, shoulder straps and belt buttons are next.

Until next time

• Like 1

• 3 months later...

Hey everyone!

Been meaning to write this for a long time, so here we go!

Ab Buttons

Simple enough, trim them down to the size of the rectangles on the ab plate, and glue them down!

OhegVEV.jpg

Still need to get some blue paint to finish this off, but it's basically done!

Belt Buttons

For these, I trimmed them to size, and then stuck them down with Velcro for easier maintenance.

Done as well, these really complete the look!

IVqGPIg.jpg?1

Shoulder Bridges

I trimmed them down so that there is about half a centimeter on each side, and glued them down.

BFu6Nhl.jpg

Glued so that there are four bars on the chest plate.

Qq0Ccta.jpg

Thigh Ammo Pack

For this, I traced the edge of a cup to get the curve, and secured it with cap rivets. I had to get creative to attach it, as I don't have a crimp, so I used a hole punch and pressed the two sides together. Still need to paint them, but it looks pretty good.

olGydRr.jpg

DtGYtuV.jpg

Np1k8Pn.jpg

Full Suit Up

Decided after doing the changes, to suit up and take some pictures.

iqyxVS1.png

Loving how it looks, but I do have an issue.

The shoulder bell on the left sits much farther from my body compared to the right, and I believe it is because one of the loops of the sew in snap gave out so I will try to repair that.

That's it for this update.

Until next time

I was actually just checking our your thread earlier today before your update and was wondering what your recent progress had been! I just received my ATA armor and will be making my first cuts soon.

Your probably already had plans to do this, but be sure to scuff up the cap rivets on your knee with sandpaper to give the paint some texture to hold to.

Keep up the great work!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 hour ago, MaskedVengeance said:

I was actually just checking our your thread earlier today before your update and was wondering what your recent progress had been! I just received my ATA armor and will be making my first cuts soon.

Your probably already had plans to do this, but be sure to scuff up the cap rivets on your knee with sandpaper to give the paint some texture to hold to.

Keep up the great work!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks Caleb, good luck with your build, I’m happy to help if you have any questions or concerns with your build:)