StarTrooper’s ATA ANH Stunt Build (Aiming for Centurion)

StarTrooper

Hey everyone!

Thank you for your replies.

Here's an update with quite a bit of progress.

First off, a small BB arrived from IB boots!

X3mtWU1.jpg

wX15C6Y.jpg

Very happy with the quality and the fit is great!

So, now that the boots arrived, I have started to fit the legs.

First I measured the correct widths, cut with Lexan scissors, and with a little bit of sanding, the legs are ready for glueing!

RFteWTH.jpg

4CDjN1S.jpg

ETU9NSY.jpg

41VJgMM.jpg

I have also finished glueing all the snaps for the body.

W2zmhpa.jpg

1p5ESMA.jpg

Here is a pic of me with the legs for the test fit. The R1 Black Series helmet is just for effect.

IuOXdwt.jpg

Edit: Woot just realized second page!

Edited by StarTrooper

9 hours ago, TKSpartan said:

Hi, looks good. It would be better to see both left and rigth thighs and shins.

:salute:

Thanks, I’ll post pictures later today or tomorrow :D

6 hours ago, troopermaster said:

That's a left shin you're wearing on your right shin.

Good eye, I was just wearing the left on the right for the picture ;)

• Like 1

Also try to get the thigh armor as close as possible to your torso to lessen the gap as well as give your knees more space to bend so you can walk somewhat normally. And it's difficult to tell for sure with only one thigh armor on, but to me, the bottom section of it seems like it could be trimmed and brought in closer to your leg to give it a better fit and shape. I had to do the same for mine during my approval process. 

bOOy8ic.jpg

• Like 2

14 hours ago, SgtGarand said:

Also try to get the thigh armor as close as possible to your torso to lessen the gap as well as give your knees more space to bend so you can walk somewhat normally. And it's difficult to tell for sure with only one thigh armor on, but to me, the bottom section of it seems like it could be trimmed and brought in closer to your leg to give it a better fit and shape. I had to do the same for mine during my approval process. 

bOOy8ic.jpg

Thank you Asa for the tip, I will be correcting the return edge shortly as while walking around the house, I noticed mobility is extremely limited.

Here are the photos with both legs.

HNLmarh.jpg

DqXb7de.jpg

jOvjjNY.jpg

Oc5Un2i.jpg

And I messed around in Photoshop for a while, and created this for your viewing pleasure.

ukXxyuL.jpg

I will also be ordering sew in snaps for my shoulder bells to keep them up.

Also I forgot to say I have been using an Iron Man compression shirt until my Eastbay shirt gets here.

Edited by StarTrooper

Making progress for sure. But when you assemble your belt assembly to hold up your thigh pieces, just try to close the gap as much as possible. You'll also want the shoulder bells to be pulled in as close to your shoulder straps as much as possible. If the top of the bell can touch the plastic shoulder strap then even better, since you are aiming for centurion.

As for mobility, you can add the cuts to the back of your leg pieces. But per the CRL update, be sure the cuts don't extend past the raised edge.

Again, an example with how I did my cuts.

nu6lo7j.png

Keep up the good work!

• Like 1

Hi jayke, I would recommend you, don't trim anything till you have made the straping and tested . take care of the cover strips dimmensions and  be sure to wear your final black inner clothes .

Keep on doing a great job.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Hey everyone!

Thank you Mario and Asa for your advice(sorry this is so late).

Its been a little while but I have been making lots of progress.

First off, canvas belt has been ordered from TKittel.

Second, hardware and latex hand guards arrived from justjoseph63.

RKPo9uM.jpg

Installed side rivets.

5vgqzHZ.jpg

They could use another coat of paint, they got scratched during installation. Also if anyone is curious, I used a screwdriver to install the rivets. 

Next, thighs and thigh garter belt are finished.

y9PWgMc.jpg

qwPXCPX.jpg

OZo4tBZ.jpg

Here are some pictures from my first suit up with the legs glued. :smiley-sw013:It was the most amazing feeling ever, and I am really happy with how it's looking.

nYg9lab.jpg

iTTtGLh.jpg

Is the gap between the thighs and cod too much? I feel like it looks okay but I'm not sure. I have big thighs from playing hockey, so if they do have to be brought up, I will need to remove more return edge from the tops of the thighs.

dwgoGnP.jpg

(This is an older picture so the front cover strip isn't on yet:duim:)

I have also removed the return edge on the belt.

bHABd23.jpg

And that is about it for this update.

Until next time

Edited by StarTrooper

26 minutes ago, StarTrooper said:

Is the gap between the thighs and cod too much? I feel like it looks okay but I'm not sure. I have big thighs from playing hockey, so if they do have to be brought up, I will need to remove more return edge from the tops of the thighs.

Hi Jayke, yes, the gap between the thighs and cod looks a bit much, minimal gap is the ideal . now you can trim the return edge to have more room and bring them up.

HQQVYpsQcZP0fcnqhyCt5UaMC5RdY60Eat3YoS9j

• Like 1

Looking at your forearms, your right forearm compared to the left one, looks a little wide, maybe you can reduce it a little and you can trim the 

return edge of the the inside of the front of them.

OPTIONAL Level three certification (if applicable):

• No return edge on the inside of the front of the forearm is allowed.

X1PzVDNTeVJg8orw1MzpiMO4AihBtSjBjXeXpj5k

UbeA9ZjU-1LaCmONnBR-4-DVqs5Av_zdhKEvk8ge

cheers

• Like 1

You'll find the right forearm of ATA is a lot rounder compared to the left, as I've had practice with a heat gun I heated both top and bottoms then gently applied some pressure form the side so they became more rounded. With skinny arms I also added a few pieces of foam inside to help them sit central.

I have seen people use a hot water bath and still be able to adjust, I just prefer a heat gun as it's a lot quicker BUT it does take some practice.

Also agree your thighs need to come up a lot, you will need some space between them and your shins when you attach the sniper plate ant thigh ammo strips ;) 

• Like 2

Hey everyone!

Thank you for your replies, I appreciate every tip and advise I receive.

Here are some pictures of the forearms and I agree with gmrhodes13 about the shape of the forearms, as the right is very round compared to the left.

HgXi0pd.jpg

ZS3YK0f.jpg

Also, canvas belt from TKittel arrived, so construction on the belt is beginning.

8XsKF0Z.jpg

Here are the drop boxes, trimmed and almost ready to go.

q9KQ3gT.jpg

5rGApH5.jpg

Next, mannequin! Yay!:)

2eeJztC.jpg

And that is pretty much it for this small update.

Until next time

Edited by StarTrooper

6 hours ago, StarTrooper said:

Awesome thank you for the pictures and the very quick reply!

Measurements are a guide and for the belt you wont the angled corners to match the belt, for centurion as per the CRL: The corners of the plastic ammo belt shall be trimmed at a 45 degree angle that that meets the outer edge of the cloth belt

• Like 1

17 hours ago, gmrhodes13 said:

Measurements are a guide and for the belt you wont the angled corners to match the belt, for centurion as per the CRL: The corners of the plastic ammo belt shall be trimmed at a 45 degree angle that that meets the outer edge of the cloth belt

Okay, thank you, I kinda thought the measurements for the corners were off;)

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Hey everyone!

Here is a quick update.

First off, I purchased some snaps that are much more accurate than the Tandy snaps, and installed them on the right side, as well as on the butt.

9VNjTOl.jpg

JY321tp.jpg

2JdL4pT.jpg

Also I have the cod rivet marked and is ready for drilling.

nDw28Fe.jpg

Also, I'm not exactly sure what to do for the side closure. As you can see, it doesn't really want to sit flush. I think if I try the warm water treatment or a heat gun, I should be able to reshape it to a more flush look.

TNSH5zg.jpg

And that is pretty much it. I'm working on the belt next, so I will be back soon.

Until next time

Hey everyone!

Thank you for your replies.

I made some more progress over the past few days.

First, I trimmed the belt and cut the corners to 45 degree angles.

HvibET8.jpg

Next, I did a little bit on the helmet, mainly on the eyes.

PMDyHaq.jpg

I learned from another thread, when cutting the eyes, use a blade and mark a few different depths on the eyes, like so, mostly so you do not trim too much off.

ing2f9n.jpg

bVHAnT9.jpg

OJT9z4w.jpg

kTB1hhP.jpg

o1UXGCm.jpg

I also have the cap and back marked at the brow as there is still a little return edge there.

cLtpLBf.jpg

kpsuoY8.jpg

uZmOFxU.jpg

And that is pretty much it.

Until next time

Edited by StarTrooper
  • Like 1

The trap decals can help you figure out the length to cut the brow at, and painter's tape can help with a nice straight line. Definitely trim more out of the corners of the eyes, but you're gettin there! :D

Totally optional, but I also recommend painting the inside of the helmet matte black before assembly - it's much easier before.

Edited by TheRascalKing
  • Like 2

On 9/13/2019 at 6:35 AM, TKSpartan said:

Great Job !!  :jc_doublethumbup:

Thanks Mario!

On 9/13/2019 at 7:05 AM, TheRascalKing said:

The trap decals can help you figure out the length to cut the brow at, and painter's tape can help with a nice straight line. Definitely trim more out of the corners of the eyes, but you're gettin there! :D

Totally optional, but I also recommend painting the inside of the helmet matte black before assembly - it's much easier before.

Thanks Justin, I will definitely be using the painters tape for the brow. Although I won’t be painting the inside black, as I would like to stay as true to the original helmets as possible, even though no one but me sees it;)

Edited by StarTrooper