AP Helmet Eye and mouth cut outs help

If you're comfortable using a Dremel, that's the easiest/fastest way to get it done. Otherwise, cutting and filing by hand is the other way to go about it.

This is my AP faceplate after I got done trimming the teeth and eyes with a Dremel, I did use a small file (from the inside) to clean up the corners of the teeth :

25255709878_047fe6a759_c.jpg&key=b009b47

25255709308_0f68c75a5a_c.jpg&key=4590471

Edited by Scimitar
  • Like 1

You can pick up a set of needle files at Lowe's for about 4 bucks.  I found these things to be invaluable for detail work-  https://www.lowes.com/pd/Project-Source-6-Piece-Needle-File-Set/4777067

• Like 1

You're going to be encouraged by many (including me) to go for Centurion if you're already aiming for EIB. :)  It's really not a big step past EIB and the AP kit makes it very easy to achieve. To answer your question, you can use the provided U-type trim for the helmet opening for basic and EIB levels, but for Centurion you need the S-type trim as found here: https://trooperbay.com/trooper-helmet-s-neck-trim

Edited by Scimitar

3 minutes ago, Scimitar said:

You're going to be encouraged by many (including me) to go for Centurion if you're already aiming for EIB. :)  It's really not a big step past EIB and the AP kit makes it very easy to achieve. To answer your question, you can use the provided U-type trim for the helmet opening for basic and EIB levels, but for Centurion you need the S-type trim as found here: https://trooperbay.com/trooper-helmet-s-neck-trim

I can't with old FX kit.  I have a kit from 2005 that I am finally putting together. I am hoping to get it together in the next month before they totally disallow old FX kits.  I am concerned with the talk of updating CRLs that I will be out of luck.  If that happens, I don't see myself being able to get another kit for a very long time.  I bought an AP helmet for approval with my old FX kit.

Edited by mjrose927

Just now, mjrose927 said:

I can't with old FX kit.  I have a kit from 2005 that I am finally putting together. I am hoping to get it together in the next month before they totally disallow old FX kits.  I bought an AP helmet for approval with my old FX kit.

Ah, gotcha!

On 4/18/2019 at 2:16 AM, Scimitar said:
If you're comfortable using a Dremel, that's the easiest/fastest way to get it done. Otherwise, cutting and filing by hand is the other way to go about it.

This is my AP faceplate after I got done trimming the teeth and eyes with a Dremel, I did use a small file (from the inside) to clean up the corners of the teeth :

Your teeth look like they are formed a little different than mine.  My smallest ones are really tiny.  I am trying to figure out how to square them off.  The drill bit i used to make hole was fairly tiny already.   Suggestions?

1 hour ago, mjrose927 said:

Your teeth look like they are formed a little different than mine.  My smallest ones are really tiny.  I am trying to figure out how to square them off.  The drill bit i used to make hole was fairly tiny already.   Suggestions?

From your picture it looks like you still have material left to remove if you want. If you'll notice from the inside view of my helmet I removed the plastic from the openings until it was gone/level with the frown itself. Larger openings for a bit more venting, at least that was my reasoning. lol But if you're happy with them as they are now, you can use hobby files (that's what I did, mine came from Hobby Lobby) or an Exacto as Mark suggests to square everything up.

Edited by Scimitar

From your picture it looks like you still have material left to remove if you want. If you'll notice from the inside view of my helmet I removed the plastic from the openings until it was gone/level with the frown itself. Larger openings for a bit more venting, at least that was my reasoning. lol But if you're happy with them as they are now, you can use hobby files (that's what I did, mine came from Hobby Lobby) or an Exacto as Mark suggests to square everything up.

I wasn’t sure how far to take them down on inside. I thought about grinding them level with frown but was afraid of taking too much material away.

You stated you took yours down to frown. Do you still have some frown depth is there some wall inside frown windows? I don’t want to go to far down.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 hour ago, mjrose927 said:

I wasn’t sure how far to take them down on inside. I thought about grinding them level with frown but was afraid of taking too much material away.

You stated you took yours down to frown. Do you still have some frown depth is there some wall inside frown windows? I don’t want to go to far down.

There is some visible depth from the outside when they're level like that. Here's a quick close up shot I just took, hopefully that helps!

46766748435_bb2f214fe6_c.jpg

• Like 1