Some of our own in the new Mandalorian TV show??!!!

Ericnathan811

Congratulations gents and fantastic seeing 501st on set!! Was this filmed on set in LA?

It’s a small studio that with enough googling can be found with the Mandalorian but our actual set was a short distance off site in a vacant lot you wouldn’t even think twice about. True Hollywood magic.

14 minutes ago, RubberSlug said:

I was there as well with the GGG, and I am wondering if there is a final count/list of names of people who were there. I think it would be fun to do a commemorative patch or something like that.

I've got everyone's names & that's in the works.... ssshhhh ;)

• Like 4

On 4/15/2019 at 5:57 AM, Alay said:

Female stormtroopers official canon thanks to 501st? :D

female troopers have always been canon ;)

On 4/16/2019 at 8:22 AM, PhilBobTheFish said:

My only question is, was there ever a stormtrooper feud between the 501st Stormies and the paid extras? :angry2:

Like them being, "Who are these newcomers, dressing up as stormtroopers for fun?"

And the 501st is like, "Yeah well, your ab buttons are painted slightly too large. HA!" :lol:

Just kidding, but I imagine that it was an amazing experience and that only a few stormtroopers were put in the trash compactor. :laugh1:

actually the feel of the set, the actors / extras & the crew was amazing!

the extras actually came up to us with questions :) 

On 4/16/2019 at 4:43 PM, First0rder said:

Congratulations gents and fantastic seeing 501st on set!! Was this filmed on set in LA?

LA County. but we had troopers from all over California, Golden Gate, Central & So Cal Garrison's are represented!

Edited by tk fett

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...
2 hours ago, OCD_Chad said:

So I guess this means that whatever you guys were using for your armor at the time is now the standard for the Mandalore version

I don't think you will see that happening as they were only extra's ;) Also some wore FX armor

Well it will be a tough question on a few levels.

1. It will be canon and so will those of us that were there. There are some continuity issues for sure since it’s supposed to take place after the fall of the Empire but the cast extras were Rogue One armor and we were ANH TK’s as far as I know. But I am not 100% sure every one of us was ANH.

2. We were technically extras but we were front and center and the actual extras were in the background.

3. I would suspect the CRL will be the standard ANH TK since that’s what was requested and per the Basic ANH CRL there are certain things not allowed like FX so I don’t see that changing.

4. Maybe there will be a Mandalorian variant like ROTJ but again I doubt it because we were all approved ANH TK’s.

Maybe we will all become “Mandalorian Centurion “ ANH TK’s, LOL.

• Like 1

I don't think you will see that happening as they were only extra's Also some wore FX armor

Maybe “Only Extras” but we were front and center of the camera and the “actual cast extras” were in the background.

Sounds pretty dismissive of us but maybe I’m just too sensitive because I was there.

1 minute ago, mikidymac said:

Maybe “Only Extras” but we were front and center of the camera and the “actual cast extras” were just in the background.

Sounds pretty dismissive of us but maybe I’m just too sensitive because I was there.

Was not meant to be dismissive at all, Ize isz noza goodz wid wordz ;) In hindsight "Only" was incorrect term to use.

On 8/26/2019 at 7:26 PM, gmrhodes13 said:
Was not meant to be dismissive at all, Ize isz noza goodz wid wordz In hindsight "Only" was incorrect term to use.

All’s good.

But yes without sounding like a jerk which is going to be impossible there were different levels of armor accuracy within our group. I will admit that because of the SO Cal blaster ban I didn’t have my accurate E-11 with me so by the grace of an awesome fellow trooper he had a, I know shame on me, Rubies blaster that I borrowed. So there’s a little Easter Egg for you, find the trooper with the Rubies blaster.  

Edited by mikidymac
  • Like 2

18 hours ago, gmrhodes13 said:

I don't think you will see that happening as they were only extra's ;) Also some wore FX armor

In this case FX is screen and prop accurate.  I would think it would have to be allowed.

Edited by OCD_Chad

1 hour ago, OCD_Chad said:

In this case FX is screen and prop accurate.  I would think it would have to be allowed.

Probably not. The CRL is meant to be a guide for consistency for a character and not an exact screen duplication.

Most of us were approved ANH TK's so I assume that would be the CRL even for our group in the Mandalorian. Just because one person has FX doesn't make it a new CRL.

This is just like the original ANH TK's that had broken armor or a leg on wrong would not be a separate CRL and approved costume.

Now that particular trooper can have bragging rights and say that their TK is screen used but this doesn't mean it's a new canon costume and thus a new variant of the Classic Trooper.

If every one of us was in FX armor then we would definitely be having a tough discussion on it being a new CRL and variant.

I feel that at times even the higher up officers get confused on what the CRL actually is. We all need to remember that it is a requirement for continuity and best interpretation of the costume so that we all look basically the same and not an exact replica of the screen armor down to each crack and tape mark or even things that can't be seen. That level of detail is for the replica prop makers.

Edited by mikidymac

Technically FX would be screen accurate to that one set in the show, similar identifying the no stripes in the original, and you could replicate it if you want, but that doesn't mean it is CRL approved. Once is random, twice is a coincidence, and three times is also a coincidence. Once it gets into the 10's or 20's it becomes recognized as the standard and the baseline for the CRL, but even that's still up to chance. :laugh1:

Really until we see the finished cut: no one knows.  However I would suggest that these will not get a CRL as they will not have a huge amount of screen time or prominence.  I may be wrong, hence waiting.  Either way a group of 501st members now own screen used props, no arguing there.

15 hours ago, mikidymac said:

I feel that at times even the higher up officers get confused on what the CRL actually is. We all need to remember that it is a requirement for continuity and best interpretation of the costume so that we all look basically the same and not an exact replica of the screen armor down to each crack and tape mark or even things that can't be seen. That level of detail is for the replica prop makers.

If you by ”higher up officers” refer to the Deployment Officers I can assure you there’s no confusion at all.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, TheSwede said:

If you by ”higher up officers” refer to the Deployment Officers I can assure you there’s no confusion at all.

You are correct, I probably worded that poorly and was not directed at staff in particular.

What I was trying to say is the CRL is the best interpretation for not only screen accuracy but consistency between all of us TK's.

It is not meant to replicate the cracks, repairs or flubs on the screen armor.

I was trying to say that some people get bogged down on the minutia when discussing the CRL like reinforcement that can't be seen or verified or things like exact dimensions for elbow gaps. The CRL is for the general, idealized trooper, not a specific trooper.

So...BLa, Bla, Bla.. I was just saying that the 501st Mandalorians shouldn't have their own CRL since we were all just approved ANH TK's with different levels of build from Basic to Centurion so the CRL for them would be the standard ANH TK.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, mikidymac said:

You are correct, I probably worded that poorly and was not directed at staff in particular.

Not just me then :laugh1:

• Like 1

it would be kind of a paradox situation;

• We created the suits to emulate screen characters.
  • We become screen characters.
  • We emulate those screen characters.

Woah man!

Simple solution: We use the official costumes only for CRL development, which from what I'm hearing are the Rogue One/Solo trooper costumes anyways.  I can't help but feel like re-introducing the FX costume as the accuracy standard because some costumes appeared in a shot worn by fan extras would be a gigantic step back in accuracy.

TKs in Rogue one and Solo are a new in design so warrant their own CRL.

Mando TKs were a mixed bag of old school OTTK so no changes there. 

FX were generation 1 fan sculped and lacked accuracy in almost every way possible. They served their purpose and are being phased out, let's not go back lol 

Edited by ukswrath
  • Like 1

I suppose this isn't really a spoiler to the show, so... The overwhelming number of suits worn were Anovos, with a few RS, RT-MOD, ATA, AP, and others mixed in. Not all were ANH-S and there was one EARLY GF kit, but I don't believe there were technically any FX. Some 501st extras were very likely cast because they had worked with LFL on other projects previously, not for the quality, accuracy, or fit of their armor - we had some Centurions and some who probably wouldn't pass approval if they tried to submit again. LFL chose.

I'm very confident we will be visible in our scene, but obviously unsure if we will be close enough/in focus enough for anyone here to tell the difference in armor or blasters, let alone the average fan. There is also some info we CAN'T share that will make the variation in armor make a little more sense once the show is out. Until then, it's all kinda moot. I doubt there will be anything that warrants a change to any existing CRL or creation of a new one. The studio suits are the same "Anthology"-style OT TK suits we've seen and I'm sure will continue to see in any modern depictions from that era...

Also, a friendly reminder to everyone posting in here - there is stuff we can share, and stuff we shouldn't/can't. Be careful when asking or answering questions! The Mouse has large ears.

Edited by TheRascalKing
  • Like 3