TheDeadlyAdder

Hi, Newbie from Brisbane, Australia.

Hi guys. New guy here. I've known there have been Star Wars groups out there for a while now but I've only now plucked up the courage to join one. Attended a Supanova event today and saw a few guys trooping around in differing Stormtrooper armour and finally thought I'd try and find a group of other people I could meet and get into this sort of stuff with. I don't really know all that much about costume building and such as I've been a kind of watch from afar guy until this point so any tips or anyone willing to help would be greatly appreciated. So far all I have is an EFX Collectables A New Hope Stormtrooper helmet and I also have an Original Stormtrooper E11 Blaster Rifle from Shepperton Design Studios that should arrive in a couple days. Not sure if the blaster is ok to use and I'm pretty sure the helmet isn't accurate enough just from looking at it. So yeah, any help or guidance would really be awesome and looking forward to joining some people that love Star Wars as much as I do. I've been looking more at the Shepperton Design Studios/ Original Stormtrooper sets and I'm wanting to get your guy's opinion on the MK3 Battle Spec Armour they have. It's about the only one there I can afford but I'm not sure if it's entirely up to scratch?. Thanks for any feedback :)

Hi and welcome to FISD! 

Personally I wouldn't recommend shepperton! Especially if you want to go for higher levels. 

I am a big fan of troopermaster and RS prop masters but that's my opinion. 

Maybe take a look at this topic :

If you have other question shoot them we are always ready to help! 

:salute:

• Like 2

Hello and welcome aboard no doubt Redback’s have your back. Head to the getting started section for a heap of info, also check out the build sections and not to forget the CRL’s (costume reference library) good luck

Thanks for the advice guys. Looking into RS now. Since I'm new to this and I don't have any experience painting or putting together kits of any sort would I be ok handling that on my own or would it be best to try and scrape the money together for a ready to go set? Just worried I'd mess up all the painting and such. Looking at it so far the easiest on my wallet would be the TIE Pilot... I suppose we could always use more pilots, someone needs to take care of those X-Wings. I'm also only 5'7 so I'd fit well inside one of those cockpits haha.

Edited by TheDeadlyAdder

Thanks for the advice guys. Looking into RS now. Since I'm new to this and I don't have any experience painting or putting together kits of any sort would I be ok handling that on my own or would it be best to try and scrape the money together for a ready to go set? Just worried I'd mess up all the painting and such. Looking at it so far the easiest on my wallet would be the TIE Pilot... I suppose we could always use more pilots, someone needs to take care of those X-Wings. I'm also only 5'7 so I'd fit well inside one of those cockpits haha.  

Its honestly not that hard. And I'm not sure what you might be looking at, but I spent almost as much on my Tie pilot as I did my stormtrooper. We are here to help you, can walk you through just about every step to building a kit, and make sure you get everything you can out of the process. It's my opinion that building your own kit is a right of passage. There are those that just wish to buy and go, which is cool too, but there's just something special about taking a kit from a pile of plastic, to the fear inducing stormtroopers!  

Just a couple of things, this page is dedicated to the stormtrooper and several variations. The Tie pilot has it's own forum, as does every other costume from Star Wars. We are primarily a 501ST LEGION page, but are here to help regardless if your looking to join or not (but we hope you do). If it IS your plan to join the 501st ranks, I would also suggest you jump onto the forum of your local garrison. There you will learn who is in your area, and see what we call "armor parties" locations and such. At these armor parties there are well versed people that will help you hands on with building your kit.

If you have any questions at all, we are here. Again, welcome to THE home of the white armor.

Gree

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

• Like 1

I agree with gree!

Verstuurd vanaf mijn HRY-LX1 met Tapatalk

Welcome aboard, Rhys. :-)

Good thinking by looking at RS. The UK has some of the world’s best armour makers and RS are certainly right up there!!

This forum is full to the brim of helpful troopers and tips and tricks so you’ve come to the right place.

Welcome to the home of the white stuff. :-)

Best wishes
Dan

I agree completely with that, I have no DIY skills whatsoever and have only ever made a few Airfix kits before but these guys make it seem so possible , they're so helpful . I'm really excited to get my kit and get to work on it

Hello Rhys,

You have come to the right place for information on building your first suit.

Just one thing, hang on for another 2 weeks before pulling your trigger, May 4th is not far and makers usually have special deal around that period of the year.

Take the next two weeks and read through build threads on different makers in our build section and make a informed choice.

Good luck!

Welcome to the FISD Rhys!

Keep up the research and you'll be in armor before you know it.

Good Luck Future Trooper!:duim:

I think if a building novice like myself was able to put together multiple kits, anyone should be able to learn!  Check out your local garrison as well for armor build parties and other helps; the hands on help can make a world of difference!  Plus there's tons tons tons of guides and walkthrough here in FISD to help :)

Welcome aboard!

Hi Rhys, welcome aboard!!, glad you found your way here.

Plenty of armour to choose from, but as has been pointed out, Shepperton needs some work to look accurate.

RS, AP, ATA are some other makes and all are good. These can be found on our vetted armourers list

I have built plenty of armour so reach out to me on here or our Redback forums once your kit arrives and I'll give you a hand.

Hey Rhys welcome to the FISD. Looks like you got some great advice so far.