MissionTrooper's First Build

MissionTrooper

The shoulder straps are done. I'm at the point where I'm finding I need to redo a couple of things because I'm not quite satisfied with the fit.  I made the elastic shoulder straps a little shorter. Next I want to take apart the biceps and make them a little smaller.

XxynLqdh.jpg

Edited by Skookumshot
  • Like 3

I wasn't happy with the gap between the shoulders and the chest/back plates which should be minimal, as per the CRL. I have tightened the shoulder bell elastics and I am reducing the biceps a little to try and bring the shoulders in closer. 

FJNraW1h.jpg

Edited by Skookumshot
  • Like 2

After reducing the size of the biceps, I found that they looked too small in relation to the forearms.  I've taken them apart again and opened up the bottoms a little bit where they meet the forearms. I'll have to fill a little on the inside, but that won't be noticeable. I'm trying to meet the requirements for the new Centurion CRL. I figure I might as well try and get it right now rather than have to make modifications later. 

• Like 2

I'm finding the thighs very restrictive.  If I had to chase any rebel scum and they ran up a flight of stairs, they'd get away for sure.

The new Centurion CRL for the lower leg armour states "Any mobility cuts on back of piece do not go past raised ridges.", but I don't see anything for the thighs.  I am thinking about cutting them out something like this.  Opinions?

3LDhgUd.png

9 hours ago, Skookumshot said:

but I don't see anything for the thighs

That’s an oversight, thanks for pointing it out:salute:  The cut lines you have would work but I would suggest not making them untill you are finished and tried the whole kit out. Walking stairs looking like a toddler that just learned to walk is somewhat required of a Stormtrooper:smiley-sw013:

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Skookumshot said:

I'm finding the thighs very restrictive.  If I had to chase any rebel scum and they ran up a flight of stairs, they'd get away for sure.

The new Centurion CRL for the lower leg armour states "Any mobility cuts on back of piece do not go past raised ridges.", but I don't see anything for the thighs.  I am thinking about cutting them out something like this.  Opinions?

Trimming the return edge as you have illustrated should substantially help with movement.

Edited by ukswrath
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Skookumshot said:

Thank-you sir.  You really make this a lot easier for us noobs.

Thank you, glad to be of assistance. Trooper Helping Troopers :salute:

Good you checked, so many miss the fall of the tube stripes being greater at the top front A in your pics ;) 

As I'm getting near to completion, I'm finding it difficult to find time to work on this project.  As we are getting into summer, there's some function every weekend.  It's funny, but what most people consider "quality time" feels to me like time wasted when I could be working on something.

Having said that, I have made a little progress. I've trimmed the backs of the thighs and greaves a little and I'm just trying to get them fitted the way I want them.  I think I'll be putting a little foam on the insides in a couple of spots for comfort and to keep things aligned better. One issue I'm having is the Greaves want to slide down a little bit. Has anyone ever put straps between the thighs and Grieves to keep them in place and keep the spacing consistent? What are the pros and cons of this method?

Here is a picture showing what I think looks right to me. I just need a way of keeping everything in position. 

Opinions?

sIcJ0zoh.jpg

5 hours ago, Skookumshot said:

As I'm getting near to completion, I'm finding it difficult to find time to work on this project.  As we are getting into summer, there's some function every weekend.  It's funny, but what most people consider "quality time" feels to me like time wasted when I could be working on something.

Having said that, I have made a little progress. I've trimmed the backs of the thighs and greaves a little and I'm just trying to get them fitted the way I want them.  I think I'll be putting a little foam on the insides in a couple of spots for comfort and to keep things aligned better. One issue I'm having is the Greaves want to slide down a little bit. Has anyone ever put straps between the thighs and Grieves to keep them in place and keep the spacing consistent? What are the pros and cons of this method?

Here is a picture showing what I think looks right to me. I just need a way of keeping everything in position. 

Opinions?

Looking great. 

As for the alignment I place white Velcro on the front of my boots and inside the armor. Keeps everything nice and tidy ;)

• Like 2

My first trial fit with my nearly completed armour. I need to paint the helmet screws, tighten the sides a biit, attach the straps between the biceps and forarems and put the hand plates on the gloves.  I'm wearing Nomex gloves in these pics, but I will be making a rubber pair as well.

I can see that the camera should be lower, the left forearm is sliding down and the neck "bib" should be under the shirt. Anything else that should be changed?

My spine/neck isn't totally straight, (mild scoliosis) so I hope I'll be able to stand straight enough to get better pics when submitting.

OQjzEEQ.jpg

6AJa9NWh.jpg

qZdUtmf.jpg

FipxnZg.jpg

• Like 2

looking good Andrew.

I would adjust your ammo belt height up a touch so it sits on the bottom of the main Abb button plate, it is something the DO's will look at if you apply for Expert Infantry level.

IpSmQin.png?1

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, Sly11 said:

looking good Andrew.

I would adjust your ammo belt height up a touch so it sits on the bottom of the main Abb button plate, it is something the DO's will look at if you apply for Expert Infantry level.

IpSmQin.png?1

Will do, thanks.

I'm going to email Mark this question, but I thought I'd see what other people have done. 

What glue should I use for the AP supplied hand plates?  I thought I had it figured out  I did multiple tests by making 2" square silicone pads on wax paper and gluing them to a test pair of gloves. E6000 failed, Shoe Goo failed, silicone failed, rubberized CA failed, regular CA worked.  So, I tried gluing the hand plates with CA and it didn't stick at all. They must be made from something different than regular air cure silicone. 

1 minute ago, Skookumshot said:

I'm going to email Mark this question, but I thought I'd see what other people have done. 

What glue should I use for the AP supplied hand plates?  I thought I had it figured out  I did multiple tests by making 2" square silicone pads on wax paper and gluing them to a test pair of gloves. E6000 failed, Shoe Goo failed, silicone failed, rubberized CA failed, regular CA worked.  So, I tried gluing the hand plates with CA and it didn't stick at all. They must be made from something different than regular air cure silicone. 

Prep both surfaces with denatured alcohol. I use CA glue on all silicone guards even Joseph's that have cheese cloth ingrained. I've never had an issue.   

1 minute ago, Skookumshot said:

Yeah, I did that. It worked great on the test pieces of silicone I made, but not the supplied hand guards.  Weird

Is the glue not adhering to the hand guards or the gloves, or both?

4 hours ago, Skookumshot said:

It is adhering to the gloves, but not the handguards.

Maybe using to much glue, it only takes a few drops. I had the same problem and when I used    much less glue it worked like a charm. I put a small amount of CA glue in the center of the handguard and then press it onto the glove when wearing it, hold untill it sets and then gently lift the handguard and place very small drops of glue working my way out :)