MissionTrooper's First Build

MissionTrooper

This will be my first build on my journey to hopefully being someday accepted into the ranks of the 501st.

I have everything on justjosheph63's TK supply list. Luckily I had all the tools, so I just needed the stuff specific to this build.   I'm just waiting on the big items.

Armor: Authentic Props - Received

Boots: imperialboots.com - Received

Blaster: QuestDesignCanada - Received

2 things I don't have are the neck seal  and the lenses.  I think my wife and I will try to make the neck seal. What do you recommend for lenses?  What colour and material?  Bubble or flat?

1850922755_TKParts.thumb.jpg.73246f8717a26b08ac0ab99ef9bfa9da.jpg

I've started on my voice changer while waiting for everything to arrive.  

Edited by MissionTrooper
  • Like 1

Hello and welcome, looking forward to seeing your build progress. Lenses depends on what version TK you are building Stunts have flat and Hero have bubble, check out the other differences in this doc: https://drive.google.com/file/d/10tEVteIreh6AHMogW010cuH_Bf8TBfU6/view

Also make sure you check out the corresponding CRL's for 501st approval Stunt here, Hero here.

Good luck

• Like 2

Hi Andrew!  AP includes flat lenses with the helmet kit.  As for the lens type, I have a quick question:

Are you going for ANH Stunt or Hero?  The reason I ask is that I noticed the TK Laser sword (lightsaber) which is used with Hero armor.  If you are indeed doing a Hero build and are aiming for Expert Infantry (and above) you will need the bubble style lenses, remove the center ear screws and cover the holes with ABS paste and modify the ear bumps to 3.

If you choose to wear the Laser sword for basic approval (and above) you won't need a holster, though!

If you are going for ANH Stunt, the flat lenses included with the kit are fine, but don't wear the Laser sword for your approval photos.

As for the neck seal, I have always recommended Darman.  They are made to order for your specific neck size and the customer service is awesome:

https://www.whitearmor.net/forum/topic/21385-darmans-neck-seals/

• Like 1

Hi Andrew and congrats on making the best decision of your life. :)  As mentioned above - are you going for Hero or Stunt?  You will need to make some modifications to the helmet if you are going for Hero. 

Mark does indeed include a green lens in his kit (flat - stunt version).  Although screen accurate, I find that lens a bit too transparent - people can see your eyes in pictures.  I opted for a darker lens as provided by Mike at Trooperbay.com.  Any dark green welding lens would work too - unless you are going for Hero, then you need to source curved lenses. 

The AP kit does include a lot of the little extras (split rivets, any visible snaps, frown mesh, screws for the helmet and ears, etc).  As for a neck seal, I used Geeky Pink (Teresa or "Soulart" here on the forums). 

You'll want to get more magnets. ;)

Good luck on the build!

• Like 1

Thanks for all the great info and advice guys.  I bought the full set from AP, so I might have purchased a few extra things that are already supplied with the kit.  I guess I should have asked before buying anything.  Too bad about needing more magnets,  The dang things are expensive and I have to drive to the US to get them because the shipping to Canada is nuts.  Greg, I see you're in Sakatoon.  Where did you source your magnets.

I was planning on ANH Stunt and working towards Centurion.  I've poured over the CRL and the list gmrhodes13 linked to.  If the only difference between Hero and Stunt is the helmet, then could I make a Hero helmet later and submit with the TK Laser Sword?  I'd also like to do a HWT.  It looks like some people have their armour set up to switch back and forth between stunt and HWT, is that correct?

My Quest Design Canada blaster arrived yesterday!  I'm hoping it's a good one for approval.  I think I'll be doing some customizing by eventually upgrading the Hengstler counter and the M38 Telescope and some other bits.  I may add sound effects and light, if that doesn't disqualify it for approval.  Do people usually do separate build threads for blasters and such, or just do them in their main build thread?

Blaster.jpg

• Like 1

That's a nice looking blaster and it should serve you well. Feel free to check out https://www.whitearmor.net/forum/forum/127-anh-blastech-e11/ for E-11 builds.

As for ANH-Stunt lenses, I'd recommend visiting your local welding supply store and getting a replacement welding face shield. They are relatively inexpensive and durable. If you are ever in the Blast-a-Trooper booth you'll be glad you upgraded from the stock lenses.

53 minutes ago, Skookumshot said:

Where did you source your magnets.

You can never have too many magnets or clamps. :)  Lee Valley has rare earth magnets. 

The quest design E-11 is fine - I added a spring to the action and painted a few parts to look metallic.  I use it all the time for trooping - it feels a lot more durable than my 3D printed one.  There are separate threads for blaster builds but I've got into the habit of just including them in my armour builds. 

• Like 1

I've not had that issue with fans before but other plastic products I've purchased definitely have an unpleasant smell.

Cant say I've ever had issues with fans that had a strong smell and I have used 100's of them over the years in my fan kits.

I think if you just let them air on your work bench or desk for a week or so they should be good.

Look forward to seeing your build underway.

On ‎4‎/‎17‎/‎2019 at 2:52 PM, Skookumshot said:

The fans arrived today, but man do they stink!  I hope they air out before I put them into my bucket.

q9pjIuR.jpg

Got to love some Chinese products. As you mentioned let air out. 

• 2 weeks later...

I've poured over build threads and YouTube videos and I decided to start with the biceps.  I think I have the bicep fitting pretty well, but I'd like a little feedback before I glue anything in case there's something I'm missing.  It slides down if I don't hold it, but if it were any tighter I think it would restrict movement.  This s a pre-trimmed kit, but the top of the bicep doesn't quite match up.  Should I trim it, or cover it up with the cover strip?

1oHtXUT.jpg

JNr7hs2.jpg

8sVDEvH.jpg

XMQOx4N.jpg

I tidied up the cover strips.

3C0p1VT.jpg

I wasn't confident that tape would hold the forearms together while the E6000 cured.  So I glued strips of HIPS on the inside with CA to hold things in place while I applied the cover strips.

HIPS Strip on one side.

MCgvQ2r.jpg

The strips are glued inside.

9cgXwgt.jpg

Cover strips are in place.  I'm glad I have lots of clamps, but I wish I had more magnets.  Greg was right.

zA6pJOH.jpg

• Like 2

Forearms are done. 

3ZRGv9Sh.jpg

When I took off the clamps I found gaps on one of them. 

OJmUOfW.jpg

OC9DbaS.jpg

I found some posts on ABS paste and made some to fill the gap.  Then it was just a matter of sanding, polishing and elbow grease. ABS paste is a brilliant.

ssmPiiZ.jpg

G93oeMz.jpg

Edited by Skookumshot
  • Like 2

I'm shooting for Centurion, so please let me know if I do anything that would prevent that from happening.  This brings me to my next question.  There are seams that aren't covered.  Is it OK to fill those in, or is it considered more screen accurate to leave them alone?  

19BiSFQh.jpg